Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 5-9-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a second of the game but that's on booker there he either has to immediately pass the ball to Crowder who's wide open or attack the double. If you just hold the ball and let them rotate back all you've done is take 4-5 seconds off the clock without doing anything. That's nowhere near as far out as teams do that to Curry but it's the same idea make him give it up so someone else has to make the play.

How in the hell did Ayton play 33 minutes and take only 3 shots?

That's the kind of game it was. The Suns were not making great decisions and came out flat.

Ayton was invisible most of the night with the presence of the Lakers big men not that this is an excuse.

There was one play where Caruso completely backed Ayton underneath the basket. I was just shaking my head.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton had few shots because he would get the ball near the rim, and panic I presume, and immediately pass the ball. He did pick up a couple of assists that way, so....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because he shouldn’t be this weak period. He’s both the biggest possible solution and biggest problem on this team that will either make it a legit title contender or keep It a pretender.

and I don’t know what the answer is.

This is worth repeating. I have called this all season long. We CAN lose if CP3 gets 10 assists and Booker puts up 30. If on top of that Ayton is putting up 18/10 we are going to be the team to beat. If Ayton puts up single digits we are very beatable with the more elite teams. Bridges is the other x-factor.

This will play out in the playoffs. Just watch.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
reality is that to compete with one of those teams, they need at least one true blue SUPERSTAR. I love CP3. He’s one of the best leaders I’ve ever seen, but his superstar days are long gone, if he ever actually had them.

This team is going to be like the 1991/92 Suns. They’ve got a good enough mix of players to be a perennial 50 win club, possibly win a playoff round depending on match ups for the next couple years. But not really contend for a title.

Cotton woulda looked at this team the same way he did 1992... they need a Charles Barkley type of player.

Who that is and who we can trade to get him is anyone’s guess.
Yeah the tough thing is who would be the following in the trade:

horny - an all-star-ish level player whose replacement is already on the team (majerle)(don’t have this at present)
Perry - young athletic, former high pick, with untapped potential (cam Johnson?)
Lang - young athletic-but-raw big (don’t have this at present)

we would likely have to part with a crucial piece of our team like bridges, which I am loathe to do. This suns team has great depth, but I believe it’s more a sum of the parts than the parts themselves. Though Perry and Lang ended up being overvalued in that trade, they were both viewed as upside type players. We don’t have many of those. We also don’t have a disposable near all-star.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ugly game. The Lakers got anything they wanted and the Suns weren't able to take anything away. The bigger worry over the last 10 games or so is that the defense seems to have fallen off. Sure, there's the occasional quarter or two that they turn it up (OT in Cleveland, for example), but overall feels like the team is a ways off from where they were before.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt, as it kinda correlates with Crowder's injury, but they gotta find their mojo back.
Agreed. They seem content to try to flip the switch later in the game with defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is worth repeating. I have called this all season long. We CAN lose if CP3 gets 10 assists and Booker puts up 30. If on top of that Ayton is putting up 18/10 we are going to be the team to beat. If Ayton puts up single digits we are very beatable with the more elite teams. Bridges it he other x-factor.

I don't think there is any doubt. The Suns aren't going anywhere in the playoffs if Ayton doesn't show up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Lakers defense were doing some blitzes the Suns can hopefully figure out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s a fast double. But if book was ready for it crowder would’ve had a WIDE open 3 or run to the basket.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns not being able to get to the free throw line as much as the Lakers was a huge problem.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Get used to it suns. Pretty common when you’re a jump shooting team whose only big shoots < 3 FTs/ game bc he’s a wuss.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the team starts taking openly to the media about effort it’s a bad look.

It not only looks bad but shows the state of the team. The Suns are not good enough to just show up and win. They've demonstrated that all season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a fast double. But if book was ready for it crowder would’ve had a WIDE open 3 or run to the basket.

This is going to happen all playoffs. They are going to key on Booker and CP3 as much as possible. If Booker doesn't recognize this immediately and get the ball out of his hands? This could be a short playoff run.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is worth repeating. I have called this all season long. We CAN lose if CP3 gets 10 assists and Booker puts up 30. If on top of that Ayton is putting up 18/10 we are going to be the team to beat. If Ayton puts up single digits we are very beatable with the more elite teams. Bridges it the other x-factor.

This is bound to happen when he only gets 3 shot attempts like he did last night, 4 against ATL and 3 against OKC. If he is going to develop into a 20 ppg scorer, he at least needs 12 - 15 shot attempts a game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CP3 and Booker are going to see a steady stream of double teams in the playoffs. The rest of the team has to be able to make the defense pay for it. Cam, Mikal and Crowder primarily need to be able to hit shots, but just as important is Ayton/Frank/Dario to be an effective release valve from the top of the key and punish the 4 on 3s. Draymond is probably the best in the business at this.
Yup. I’ll be shocked if any team allows CP3 and book to beat them in a 7 game series. Other guys have to make them pay. I just don’t think other than book, and cp3 to a lesser extent, anyone has the combination ability/mental wherewithal to average 20+ points a game in a playoff series. Unfortunately I expect Ayton to shrink below his career numbers in the playoffs. I don’t think bridges is there yet. Cam - well, woof lately. And that’s it in terms of anyone capable of that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It happened so quick. Booker was defended so tightly and the defender was right on his hip with an overplay. It would have almost had to be an over the head pass to get it to Crowder.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It happened so quick. Booker was defended so tightly and the defender was right on his hip with an overplay. It would have almost had to be an over the head pass to get it to Crowder.
Left hand wrap around pass. But the recognition and reaction has to be almost immediate. Book doesn’t tend to have that level of awareness.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is bound to happen when he only gets 3 shot attempts like he did last night, 4 against ATL and 3 against OKC. If he is going to develop into a 20 ppg scorer, he at least needs 12 - 15 shot attempts a game.

It's not like the Suns don't want to pass the ball to Ayton. He has to want it, fight for position and not cough it up when he gets it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left hand wrap around pass. But the recognition and reaction has to be almost immediate. Book doesn’t tend to have that level of awareness.

Booker is an adequate passer but he does not have the instincts of a true point guard. He is going to have to be prepared for it though because it's coming. It will be even worse in the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You don't think the coaching staff knows that? They do. This is more to do with Ayton being passive in games. This has more to do with how he looks when given the opportunity. There is a reason the coaches put him on the bench sometimes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 and Booker are going to see a steady stream of double teams in the playoffs. The rest of the team has to be able to make the defense pay for it. Cam, Mikal and Crowder primarily need to be able to hit shots, but just as important is Ayton/Frank/Dario to be an effective release valve from the top of the key and punish the 4 on 3s. Draymond is probably the best in the business at this.

The more I look at that replay where Booker was blitzed, Ayton has to cut and present a target.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not like the Suns don't want to pass the ball to Ayton. He has to want it, fight for position and not cough it up when he gets it.
I’ve never seen such a big guy get pushed around or denied position by guards as much as Ayton. I will fully admit that I’ve also never keyed on an individual as much as Ayton either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Booker is an adequate passer but he does not have the instincts of a true point guard. He is going to have to be prepared for it though because it's coming. It will be even worse in the playoffs.
Film study should help. It was immediately evident to me where the pass was upon watching. Book needs to learn where the pass is based on where the second defender is coming from - it should be relatively evident on film.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard