2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Something that is very interesting. I am pretty sure the Zaven Collins option was intentionally leaked because of the perceived fan reaction. This way, it did not come out of the blue for fans and they were mentally prepared.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that is very interesting. I am pretty sure the Zaven Collins option was intentionally leaked because of the perceived fan reaction. This way, it did not come out of the blue for fans and they were mentally prepared.

It's garnered a huge negative reaction still. Hopefully this is our Megatron

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i agree

Mike B has scar tissue from the George Boone days

i was totally wrong on the Collins rumor (which turned out not to be rumor)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't help to learn from Gambo the Cardinals were trying to trade down and that if they couldn't, Zaven Collins was their likely choice.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i am ok -- just ok -- with the pick.

I had mixed feelings on the alternatives:

Farley and Newsome have real injury concerns. Newsome has literally never played a full season.
Picking a RB in round 1 is dumb.
I liked Toney, but he is a project beyond WR screens (and we all love those!)
Jaelen Phillips -- again, three concussions in his past.

i do wish Collins were more violent at the point of attack -- that would excite me. Maybe it comes

but again: they play in a division where the three other teams' offenses starts with a physical running game. Both Rams and 49ers love to put run personnel in the game and then pass. You need players who can play both and Collins is excellent in coverage and has size to play the run.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

I had the reaction of a kid to the vegetables on his dinner plate. But in the long run they were good for me; hopefully the Z-Man turns into the second coming of Brian Urlacher.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see Steve Keim’s initial post 1st day press conference after drafting Simmons put side by side to the Collins presser. I feel like it was the same stuff.

Did anyone else get the impression Kliff was not happy to take a LB again? Or is he just that monotone and boring all the time?

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see Steve Keim’s initial post 1st day press conference after drafting Simmons put side by side to the Collins presser. I feel like it was the same stuff.

Did anyone else get he impression Kliff was not happy to take a LB again? Or is he just that monotone and boring all the time?

He is always that way

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's garnered a huge negative reaction still. Hopefully this is our Megatron
Yes, even with the fans being mentally prepared for it. Can you imagine if fans didn't have a clue this was coming?

I just find it very interesting that our draft plan was pretty much detailed out. WRs and CBs are the top priority, trade down if they are gone, and Zaven Collins if no good trade down options. Then Keim has his prepared statement about not changing positions, not a position-less player, and will play the position similar to what he played in college.

Kinda funny. Kinda Sad. But might be the most self-aware thing I have ever seen the Cardinals organization do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i am ok -- just ok -- with the pick.

I had mixed feelings on the alternatives:

Farley and Newsome have real injury concerns. Newsome has literally never played a full season.
Picking a RB in round 1 is dumb.
I liked Toney, but he is a project beyond WR screens (and we all love those!)
Jaelen Phillips -- again, three concussions in his past.

i do wish Collins were more violent at the point of attack -- that would excite me. Maybe it comes

but again: they play in a division where the three other teams' offenses starts with a physical running game. Both Rams and 49ers love to put run personnel in the game and then pass. You need players who can play both and Collins is excellent in coverage and has size to play the run.

If violence at the point of attack is the biggest concern we are sorted. Must be one of the easiest things to remedy.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
This weight thing is completely blown out of proportion.

A guy that's 6-5+ and 270 can hold 10lbs of water.......he could be 255 in 2 weeks if he wanted to be. The fact that it's already 'remedied' proves this.

P16

Reaction score
I for one am thrilled with the pick. The way the chips fell, there wasn't really an obvious value pick the filled a need any more than Collins. I would have been happy with Farley too, but who knows the status of his back issue.

This dude can flat out play. He won the award for the nations top defensive player, not just linebacker (though he won that award too) and honestly Hicks has been a liability the past couple years, last year especially.

On top of that, he has the attitude we were looking for this year. He got super emotional after we picked him, and you can tell he's gonna come in and work hard. He's not undersized like linebackers we've taken in the past, we aren't planning on moving him to a different position (which has been one of the main factors in the 1st round picks that have busted under Keim) and he does fill a need. Maybe not as pressing a need as CB but give me a good value over a clear reach any day.

People seem to forget that there are always lots of veteran cuts after the draft, and in the past Keim has made some great signings during that period. Even if we do get a CB tonight, it's doubtful they would have the immediate impact we need from them this season. (even Pat P struggled at CB his rookie year). I'm waiting to see which corners might be available for us in the coming months, as I'm sure out front office is as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Supposedly Steve Keim checked Zaven Collins weight before the draft.

By Kent Somers Arizona Republic:

Like most first-round picks, Collins a freakish athlete. He's close to 6-feet-5-inches and weighs 265 pounds, although his weight reportedly ballooned this spring.

Keim talked to Collins about it back then, and even Facetimed to see Collins weigh himself.

"He was back down to his playing weight," Keim said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-collins-role-minutes-after-draft/7405012002/
The good news: he’s back down to playing weight
The bad news: at a time when he should’ve been at his physical peak best keim was concerned enough that he had to check in on his weight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NOT good weaknesses for what he's projected to be.
They weren’t really consistent with the more in-depth write-ups I read about him this morning. I’d take that list with a grain of salt. Do we even have the source?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could have filled ONE of the holes.

Listen, I'm all for BPA. My problem here is that IMO Collins was not at all BPA. There were better players at positions of need than Collins.

In your opinion, of course. I don't see any of the players drafted behind Collins as more BPA than Collins - especially when you consider the red flags that many of them have

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not sure if it was mentioned before but 2 times in his press conference he mentioned that he is looking forward to playing alongside great players for us...said Peterson and didn't say Chandler Jones twice/two different times. Got a weird vibe from him but hoping for the best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose