DCU: Zach Snyder’s Justice League

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know visual effects are expensive but I'm not sure how they spent $70-80 million on finishing this film. Only one scene was added from recent reshoots.

Im not sure what I expected from this but what I watched wasn't very good. It was better than the theatrical release but that doesn't say much. I can say for certain I won't watch this again.

I hope this doesn't lead to another Snyder DC film because then ill give up on them until he's gone. He's just not the right guy to adapt DC characters. I am looking forward to his zombie flick later this year.

The only new scene that was shot was part of the epilogue. Its weird because he definitely teases future films. Perhaps he's become quite the optimist since the initial debacle back when this was released in theaters. If hes hoping for another hashtag sort of fan campaign to allow him to do another JL film to finish his vision, since this was originally set to be part one of two, I can't see it happening for various reasons. I'd be shocked if there was a lot of support for more Snyder since this film felt a lot like the theatrical cut except longer. Anyone hoping for something that different will be disappointed.
I thought Darkseid was a much bigger aspect of this film. Are you saying he only appears in your "spoiler"? If I recall, he wasn't in the original version.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I know visual effects are expensive but I'm not sure how they spent $70-80 million on finishing this film. Only one scene was added from recent reshoots.

Im not sure what I expected from this but what I watched wasn't very good. It was better than the theatrical release but that doesn't say much. I can say for certain I won't watch this again.

I hope this doesn't lead to another Snyder DC film because then ill give up on them until he's gone. He's just not the right guy to adapt DC characters. I am looking forward to his zombie flick later this year.

The only new scene that was shot was part of the epilogue. Its weird because he definitely teases future films. Perhaps he's become quite the optimist since the initial debacle back when this was released in theaters. If hes hoping for another hashtag sort of fan campaign to allow him to do another JL film to finish his vision, since this was originally set to be part one of two, I can't see it happening for various reasons. I'd be shocked if there was a lot of support for more Snyder since this film felt a lot like the theatrical cut except longer. Anyone hoping for something that different will be disappointed.

Note: I haven't seen it yet. Probably won't until the weekend due to 4 hours long.

I thought there was supposed to have been more than one scene reshot. That some of the bad guys had a lot more footage and had significant CGI work done to them. I'm also guessing that most of the footage in the additional couple of hours was more raw and had to have most of their effects work done to them. So basically the effects budget of a 2 hour movie. The $70-80m didn't sound outrageous with all of that.

I don't think we'll see another Snyder DC film which I'm fine with. I haven't really cared for any of them. At this point I'm almost done with DC films until Warner Bros gets its act together. They've mismanaged and screwed it up more than what's believable. They had such a good shot to do something more dark and edgy to offset the MCU and dropped the ball. I really don't have hope for the near future either now that the destroyer of franchises Jar Jar Abrams is there. I fully expect him to do another bad reboot of the franchise.

Also on getting more movies, there's already #RestoreTheSnyderVerse that's started from the release the Snyder cut people. They even got Ray Porter to say in Darkseid's voice last night on the charity stream. He agreed to it when the stream hit $70k in donations.

Rumor has it that it was originally shot to tease Green Lantern and WB freaked out and forced a change.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Darkseid was a much bigger aspect of this film. Are you saying he only appears in your "spoiler"? If I recall, he wasn't in the original version.

No, he plays a larger role than the Whedon version but I was disappointed with his involvement.

He was in a flashback that showed the Amazon's, Lanterns, and Atlanteans fighting with him and his army over the mother boxes. That was in the Whedon cut but it wasn't as long. You got to see more of that battle rather than just a quick recap. Other than that he was shown via space Zoom call. Desaad was shown more in current times.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was it really finished in 4x3 aspect?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was it really finished in 4x3 aspect?

Yup, agree with Chap on that as well. Not smart since it was being released on a streaming service. There was a message at the beginning about that aspect ratio being correct and intentional that reminded me of the old warnings some films has on VHS that were presented in widescreen.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He finished it for iMAX. Of course his genius didn’t take into account most people are watching it on TV screens.

Sounds like it was planned out really well. Maybe they should do another cut. :rolleyes:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've seen on Twitter today seems to be more divisive than BvS.

It fleshed out some characters like Cyborg and Flash but other than Cyborgs extended storyline its really similar to the theatrical cut only with a lot of fat that should be trimmed from it. There is a 2 1/2 hour film here that could have been released in theaters but it would have underwhelmed like the Whedon cut and been bashed for reasons that Man of Steel and BvS were, too dark, no humor, more style than substance.

This probably had those issues amplified with it being 4 hours of the most Snyder stuff possible. His fans will love it but its not winning anyone over.

Collider has an excellent review of the film that really nails all aspects, IMO. If youre on the fence, check it out, or if you want to save 4 hours then its a nice summation of the differences and what works and what doesn't.

Collider.com/snyder-cut-review/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m scared to be disappointed again. They should’ve just gone with a Man of Steel trilogy like Nolan did.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I also think Joss Whedon is a horrible director. Some of the scenes he removed were mind blowing my dumb decisions.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I also think Joss Whedon is a horrible director. Some of the scenes he removed were mind blowing my dumb decisions.

Joss isn't a horrible director, he was just a terrible choice for this. This tone and style don't mesh with Snyder's at all. It was another sign of WB's incompetence. If you're going to replace Snyder you have to get someone with a similar style. Like you don't replace Tarintino with Wes Anderson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Joss isn't a horrible director, he was just a terrible choice for this. This tone and style don't mesh with Snyder's at all. It was another sign of WB's incompetence. If you're going to replace Snyder you have to get someone with a similar style. Like you don't replace Tarintino with Wes Anderson.

I guess....but I don't know how you could remove these scenes. Whedon cut Cyborg down to almost a footnote in his version. The Cyborg back story scenes are some of the better scenes in the entire movie. Same goes for the Flash.

I'm a little over halfway through, and I'm literally shocked at how much better this movie is.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess....but I don't know how you could remove these scenes. Whedon cut Cyborg down to almost a footnote in his version. The Cyborg back story scenes are some of the better scenes in the entire movie. Same goes for the Flash.

I'm a little over halfway through, and I'm literally shocked at how much better this movie is.
Whedon was almost certainly working under very strict orders from WB. You make it sound like the first movie was all on Whedon. It most certainly wasn't, ESPECIALLY since it wasn't originally his project in the first place.

Warner Bros definitely put length restrictions on the movie, and Whedon rightfully thought Batman, WW and Superman were more important than either Cyborg and Flash. Add to that the possibility that Ray Fisher might have been difficult to work with and it's not a good combination.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Whedon was almost certainly working under very strict orders from WB. You make it sound like the first movie was all on Whedon. It most certainly wasn't, ESPECIALLY since it wasn't originally his project in the first place.

Warner Bros definitely put length restrictions on the movie, and Whedon rightfully thought Batman, WW and Superman were more important than either Cyborg and Flash. Add to that the possibility that Ray Fisher might have been difficult to work with and it's not a good combination.

I was going to say the same thing. I blame WB more than anyone. It appears that they meddled and made threats over everything in the movie under both directors. Main thing I blame Joss for is even taking the job. He had to have seen that it was a dumpster fire of a situation going into it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I remember the timeline right also, Whedon did his reshoots in March/April for a scheduled October or November release. It was very SFX driven as well so it had to be done quick on a fraction of the budget that Snyder had.

I would like to see a true Whedon cut in a way. Let him write his own script and film his own movie without having to Frankenstein in Snyder's work.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cyborg benefitted from the Snyder cut the most, by far. He was barely a footnote in the theatrical cut though.

However I think Superman was handled much better in the Whedon film, barring the weird lip from cgi'ing out his mustache. Snyder doesn't seem to understand Superman very well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Except that there is growing evidence that WHEDON is difficult to work for, but the WB criticisms might be warranted based on Snyder's comments.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cyborg benefitted from the Snyder cut the most, by far. He was barely a footnote in the theatrical cut though.

However I think Superman was handled much better in the Whedon film, barring the weird lip from cgi'ing out his mustache. Snyder doesn't seem to understand Superman very well.

It's a different interpretation of Superman.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Hit play only if you've watched it or don't care about being spoiled:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose