Article from the Athletic

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Alex Mack, OC, Atlanta Falcons (35)

Mack has been remarkably durable with 179 starts in 12 seasons. He missed 11 games in 2014 and two last season. Mack has made all 16 starts 10 times in his career. The six-time Pro Bowler is obviously not the player he was in his prime, but Thorn said that Mack could still fit a zone-blocking team, and he thought it could make sense to pair Mack with a young quarterback.

“I still think there’s enough there that on like a one-year deal, I’d love to have him because he’s been an All-Pro level player for so long,” Thorn said. “And I still think there’s enough there where he can give you one more year as an average to above-average starter where the mental processing part of it, the competitive toughness part of it, those two things are going to be elite.”

I guess the Athletic writers are idiots also, when they use OC for the center position. I guess you want to kill them also.

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, cuz I thought he was a Defensive Center. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alex Mack should definitely be on the radar. He's still a good player. Good guy to have a cheap one year deal and have the other compete.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, cuz I thought he was a Defensive Center. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really relevant to the modern era, but in the beginning there was a defensive center. Gradually the position evolved into a middle linebacker when those playing the position found it advantageous to position themselves back from the line.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Until we fix the interior of our OL, the Rams will continue to eat our lunch. And it won't take long for the rest of our division to follow suit. Yes, Murray's injury didn't help our cause, but we floundered late because teams realized that pressure up the middle was kryptonite to our offense.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until we fix the interior of our OL, the Rams will continue to eat our lunch. And it won't take long for the rest of our division to follow suit. Yes, Murray's injury didn't help our cause, but we floundered late because teams realized that pressure up the middle was kryptonite to our offense.
This

Middle of the Oline has been weak for a long time.

Constantly getting pushed back on pass plays

Very little push on run play.

I have never been a fan of any of our centers.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in theory this is great but it doesn’t matter who we put on the interior line as long as the Rams have Aaron Donald they are going to eat our lunch.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
in theory this is great but it doesn’t matter who we put on the interior line as long as the Rams have Aaron Donald they are going to eat our lunch.
I mean, it does matter a bit.

No one will completely stop Aaron Donald(except for the Ravens in ‘19), but you can at least attempt to contain him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, it does matter a bit.

No one will completely stop Aaron Donald(except for the Ravens in ‘19), but you can at least attempt to contain him.
A tiny bit

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have to disagree to a point. Yes, Donald is going to get the best of even the best interior lines. Even if you only stop him 30% of the time, that would give a gifted athlete like Murray more than enough opportunities to do something game changing. With our current IOL, that 30% is whittled down under 10%. May not sound like much, but it's a huge difference.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Donald will disrupt you as long as he doesn't decline, but slowing him down with a QB that can move, may be enough to get us a good chance.

And the rest of the league doesn't have a Donald ...