Devon Kennard

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
See Cheesebeef - post 22.

This has nothing to do with June designation and use of cap space.

It has everything to do with the fact that agents have secret meetings and deals in place, way before FA starts...To think they don't have wink/nod deals in place is silly. Of course they do. Even without the combine this year, it's still happening.

So, you can cut early and designate for June 1st...and you can negotiate with a player/FA way before hand and have deals in place that are made "official" when appropriate for team and player.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It has everything to do with the fact that agents have secret meetings and deals in place, way before FA starts...To think they don't have wink/nod deals in place is silly. Of course they do. Even without the combine this year, it's still happening.

So, you can cut early and designate for June 1st...and you can negotiate with a player/FA way before hand and have deals in place that are made "official" when appropriate for team and player.

So what!

What part of a team has to be compliant with the cap at all times don't you understand?

I fail to see what you seem to see as an advantage when the cap savings can't be applied until after June 1.

The negotiations going on now involve signatures when the league season opens and are not contingent on available cap space post June 1.

I'm hard pressed to believe that any agent/player in demand would wait on this type of legally meaningless "wink" .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

again, no one is disputing wink wink deals BEFORE FA. We’re talking about wink wink deals when the money is there for the taking DURING FA and players holding off on signing big money deals at the beginning of FA and taking the risk of waiting for three months when anything can happen to kill that deal and taking that leap of faith to help your future team.

I’ve yet to see an example where a big time FA takes the risk and doesn’t go for the money immediately instead of some secret deal that won’t take place until months later.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
again, no one is disputing wink wink deals BEFORE FA. We’re talking about wink wink deals when the money is there for the taking DURING FA and players holding off on signing big money deals at the beginning of FA and taking the risk of waiting for three months when anything can happen to kill that deal and taking that leap of faith to help your future team.

I’ve yet to see an example where a big time FA takes the risk and doesn’t go for the money immediately instead of some secret deal that won’t take place until months later.
Any team can destignate up to two players for post June 1 cuts already on first day of the league year. End of story. And that money comes only to frutition after June 1st

So if you make a deal that has say 6 mio base but a 51 player rooster cut bonus in the first season of say 4 mio the post june 1st cut makes a lot of sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any team can destignate up to two players for post June 1 cuts already on first day of the league year. End of story. And that money comes only to frutition after June 1st

So if you make a deal that has say 6 mio base but a 51 player rooster cut bonus in the first season of say 4 mio the post june 1st cut makes a lot of sense.

This literally doesn’t address anything I said. No matter how many times I explain my point, you keep totally missing it so we can end this discussion because it’s literally going nowhere.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sure, but this creative accounting has nothing to do with the fundamental issue being discussed.

Also, a more likely consideration when designating some player as a June 1st cut is that the acquired cap relief can be applied to the signing of the draft class that a team already controls.