OT: JJ Watt released

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks.

We need to get younger. Watt is the guy you pay when you already have a SB capable roster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he can stay healthy. If he doesn't leave a gaping hole at another position financially.

I'm sure whichever team wants to sign him will put him through a battery of tests. Not sure if it will be enough, or if he would truly stay healthy.

It doesn't really matter though, I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't one of the dozen or so teams that wouldn't even kick the tires on JJ.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm sure whichever team wants to sign him will put him through a battery of tests. Not sure if it will be enough, or if he would truly stay healthy.

It doesn't really matter though, I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't one of the dozen or so teams that wouldn't even kick the tires on JJ.
I'm sure he could come out perfectly healthy in tests, but he's undoubtedly injury prone. I'm just saying we'd have to be a win now team.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Add Watt, add a guard, Add a wideout.

let PP21 and larry walk. Trim some fat. Draft a corner and oline depth.

12 wins

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I really want to get excited about a prospective JJ Watt to AZ move, but age, injuries and money make it a tough pill to swallow

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is what I know.

We lack players on our defensive line who can win one-on-one matchups resulting in negative plays, pressures on the QB, and disrupt the timing of the oppositions passing games. We have some young players who hopefully develop and we have one FA who hopefully bounces back after a tough year. There is a very open spot for a player of Watt's current abilities.

Our front 7 is much closer to being a dominant unit than our back 7. Valid arguments are made that it is better to have either a great pass rush or great coverage unit than it is to be average at both. There are also far easier options to improve our front 7 than our back 7.

Tampa just showed that you can be successful if you have consistency and depth in the secondary.

I would argue that KC's defense is similarly built.

The best defenses marry talent with consistency and effort. I feel that Watt is guaranteed to bring two of those and the 3rd is just in decline.

###

For those who argue against Watt, what CB do you think we are signing who is going to have the impact that Watt would?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Here is what I know.

We lack players on our defensive line who can win one-on-one matchups resulting in negative plays, pressures on the QB, and disrupt the timing of the oppositions passing games. We have some young players who hopefully develop and we have one FA who hopefully bounces back after a tough year. There is a very open spot for a player of Watt's current abilities.

Our front 7 is much closer to being a dominant unit than our back 7. Valid arguments are made that it is better to have either a great pass rush or great coverage unit than it is to be average at both. There are also far easier options to improve our front 7 than our back 7.

Tampa just showed that you can be successful if you have consistency and depth in the secondary.

The best defenses marry talent with consistency and effort. I feel that Watt is guaranteed to bring two of those and the 3rd is just in decline.

###

For those who argue against Watt, what CB do you think we are signing who is going to have the impact that Watt would?

I like this. However just to play devils advocate---- i think you need to first determine what impact JJ WATT would have. Can he be depended upon at this stage in his career?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like this. However just to play devils advocate---- i think you need to first determine what impact JJ WATT would have. Can he be depended upon at this stage in his career?
He is near the end. 65% snap guy (he played 91% last year which is too much IMO). 3 years or so left at the max IMO. But that is where we need to bridge the gap.

He had 5 sacks, 14 TFLs and 17 QB hits in 2020.

I feel these numbers are sustainable, especially if he gets less volume, and if opposing teams are having to pass the ball.

Calais Campbell had 4, 5 and 10 for the Ravens this past year. Made 10 mil. Malik Jackson had similar for the Eagles...10 mil. Same for Akiem Hicks.

Grady Jarrett had 4 sacks, 8 TFLs and 21 QB hits. His contract averages 17 mil per year.

Fletcher Cox 6.5, 9 and 9. Cox averages 17 mil as well.

I don't think we should pay Watt 17 mil per year, but I do feel his production is still closer to the top of the league than what people want to admit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Essentially, I believe a defensive line of...

JJ Watt
Jordan Phillips
Larry Ogunjobi (my #3 preferred FA acquisition)
Leki Fotu
Rashard Lawrence
Maybe a 2 mil deal for Corey Peters

...would be the best group I have seen in a while.

Which would prioritize a different type of secondary than we are used to, but you could still get a decent one.

This along with Chandler Jones, Reddick, Simmons and Hicks would be a pretty good group. That doesn't take in Golden on a team friendly deal (at least 1st year) and Gardeck in a part-time role.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Essentially, I believe a defensive line of...

JJ Watt
Jordan Phillips
Larry Ogunjobi (my #3 preferred FA acquisition)
Leki Fotu
Rashard Lawrence
Maybe a 2 mil deal for Corey Peters

...would be the best group I have seen in a while.

Which would prioritize a different type of secondary than we are used to, but you could still get a decent one.

This along with Chandler Jones, Reddick, Simmons and Hicks would be a pretty good group. That doesn't take in Golden on a team friendly deal (at least 1st year) and Gardeck in a part-time role.

Everything u said is fine outside of mentioning Hicks

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I know.

###

my fear is Watt precludes Reddick coming back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
my fear is Watt precludes Reddick coming back.
It should not. Most contracts give this year will have the lowest 1st year salary possible to open up options. The only reason it would is if the Cardinals do not want to re-sign Reddick or he wants 14 mil per year (but even that should just dictate the transition or franchise tag).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
and none of these arguments are limited to JJ Watt. It is more about acquiring a player on the defense line who can win one-on-one matchups.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave