Everything RV

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I have owned travel trailers, 5th wheel toyhaulers, class A motorhomes and class C motorhomes. Never again. The maintenance costs is unbelievable, even if you can do most of it yourself. The older ones are made fairly well but the newer ones are made like crap. Then add on financing, storage, and constant repairs including routine maintenance like tires and batteries and it will cost me a fortune to own one. Every time I used it something broke down. Now I rent one 3-4 times a year, return it and they clean it dump it and I am done with with it. No insurance, storage, repairs, license, emissions, NOTHING. Someone once told me if it flies, floats or Fu@ks, it is better to not own it but to rent it. Sound advice. 69 and still learning.

Which of the 3 is an RV? :) Also, it sounds like it took you a while to learn your lesson. :)

Seriously though, I get your point. These things require effort. I jumped into a used pop-up camper without knowing anything. Luckily I almost broke even when I traded it in for a travel trailer a few years later. Bought new and kept it for 8 years. Got one flat tire and had to have the slide out motor replaced (under warranty). Little things had to be fixed like the roof air vents, but that's about it. Lubed the stabilizers a couple times and went through a couple sets of batteries.

So far so good with the RV. Youtube is a lifesaver. I've used it for the generator, refrigerator and filling the water tank. If you get to the right forum, someone has already had the issue you're having and someone has also found a fix for it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I was thinking more of being in the forest and wanting to run into town.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep; that's a major advantage to having a tow vehicle. Once I'm in the forest though, the last thing I want to do is return to civilization.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Which of the 3 is an RV? :) Also, it sounds like it took you a while to learn your lesson. :)

Seriously though, I get your point. These things require effort. I jumped into a used pop-up camper without knowing anything. Luckily I almost broke even when I traded it in for a travel trailer a few years later. Bought new and kept it for 8 years. Got one flat tire and had to have the slide out motor replaced (under warranty). Little things had to be fixed like the roof air vents, but that's about it. Lubed the stabilizers a couple times and went through a couple sets of batteries.

So far so good with the RV. Youtube is a lifesaver. I've used it for the generator, refrigerator and filling the water tank. If you get to the right forum, someone has already had the issue you're having and someone has also found a fix for it.
2 years ago I replaced the 6 tires and 3 batteries on the Class C I owned and that was $1800 alone. That is not counting multiple other repairs, storage, insurance, tags etc. renting may not be for everyone but it works for us.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
2 years ago I replaced the 6 tires and 3 batteries on the Class C I owned and that was $1800 alone. That is not counting multiple other repairs, storage, insurance, tags etc. renting may not be for everyone but it works for us.

Storage is what gets me. I kick myself for not buying a house where I can park it onsite. Although, it helps motivate me to use it more frequently.

I burned through batteries on my trailer, but so far so good on my RV. I wonder if it's because they're tucked away under the steps out of the heat or if they're just really good batteries.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. RVing is a flippin blast.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've been working this summer at Grand Tetons Natl Park in the reservations dept. We book cabins, tent sites and rv sites. Just a tip - most campgrounds won't accept the large rv's. I would suggest 25ft or smaller; otherwise you're limited to which rv parks/campgrounds can fit you in.

We've been running full all summer long; seems like half of America had the same idea - "we'll rent/buy and rv and hit the road!" :)

People call first thing in the mornings desperately looking for an rv spot 'cause everyone is full.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
I've been working this summer at Grand Tetons Natl Park in the reservations dept. We book cabins, tent sites and rv sites. Just a tip - most campgrounds won't accept the large rv's. I would suggest 25ft or smaller; otherwise you're limited to which rv parks/campgrounds can fit you in.

We've been running full all summer long; seems like half of America had the same idea - "we'll rent/buy and rv and hit the road!" :)

People call first thing in the mornings desperately looking for an rv spot 'cause everyone is full.
I wonder if this is going to cause a flood on the resell market in the next couple years. Probably will be able to pick up a used one cheap.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder if this is going to cause a flood on the resell market in the next couple years. Probably will be able to pick up a used one cheap.

That is a really good point. You might very well be right.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont ever tow it but if anyone has questions about life in a fifth wheel feel free to ask. I bought mine for 5k used on craiglist. its awesome. Towed it to mexico once and left it there but I mean, its leaf springs, axles and tires so I am all about the spend less than 10k route and buy one used. Mine had green carpet and wood everywhere. painted all the wood mexican colors and ripped out the carpet and added linoleum tiles. Love the thing.

As far as refrigeration, you can get high end coolers for 200-300 that will hold ice for 2-3 days in the heat, probably a week in the air conditioning. They fit nice right under the fridge too if needed extra food storage.

Highly recommend getting one with pop outs, at least the living area. Way too crammed otherwise.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you park it? Does the RV park move it?

I have friends with a fifth wheel down at playa bonita that the RV park moves back and forth from storage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you park it? Does the RV park move it?

I have friends with a fifth wheel down at playa bonita that the RV park moves back and forth from storage

The RV park does move it and set it up for me. I show up and it is already plugged in and ready. I keep mine at the reef rv park by the "pier". It's right on the beach and the best 5k investment ever. I pay $500 a year for storage and man...I sure do miss it. Havent been since late feb/early march. after that, covid hit hard while in cancun and Mexico hasnt allowed people in until this month and its so hot down there that I havent gone back yet. I probably will not until October. Hopefully everything is still intact.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RV park does move it and set it up for me. I show up and it is already plugged in and ready. I keep mine at the reef rv park by the "pier". It's right on the beach and the best 5k investment ever. I pay $500 a year for storage and man...I sure do miss it. Havent been since late feb/early march. after that, covid hit hard while in cancun and Mexico hasnt allowed people in until this month and its so hot down there that I havent gone back yet. I probably will not until October. Hopefully everything is still intact.

That is a great deal.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've been going to the big RV show here in the Chicago area the past few years, no show this year. Hopefully things will be back to normal next year and it will return as I enjoy walking through all the different models. I am still a few years away from buying but I am doing as thorough research as possible. I am probably not going to buy my motorhome until the year before my wife retires and in the meantime I am saving $$ towards the purchase. I keep going back and forth from buying a Class C to buying a smaller Class A--it's just 2 of us and our dogs so we don't need a ton of sleeping capacity but at the same time we plan to be doing longer road trips in retirement so we want it to be comfortable.

I do like a guy on YouTube that does RV reviews, he does both motorhomes and towables--Matts RV Reviews. I'd recommend him if you are looking at RVs, he's goofy but covers pretty much everything you'd want on the different models.

When the time gets closer I might head down to Indiana where most RVs are made and do some of their factory tours that they offer to the public. I really want to make the most informed decision I can as it isn't a cheap purchase.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been going to the big RV show here in the Chicago area the past few years, no show this year. Hopefully things will be back to normal next year and it will return as I enjoy walking through all the different models. I am still a few years away from buying but I am doing as thorough research as possible. I am probably not going to buy my motorhome until the year before my wife retires and in the meantime I am saving $$ towards the purchase. I keep going back and forth from buying a Class C to buying a smaller Class A--it's just 2 of us and our dogs so we don't need a ton of sleeping capacity but at the same time we plan to be doing longer road trips in retirement so we want it to be comfortable.

I do like a guy on YouTube that does RV reviews, he does both motorhomes and towables--Matts RV Reviews. I'd recommend him if you are looking at RVs, he's goofy but covers pretty much everything you'd want on the different models.

When the time gets closer I might head down to Indiana where most RVs are made and do some of their factory tours that they offer to the public. I really want to make the most informed decision I can as it isn't a cheap purchase.

I imagine with this much study and patience too that when you buy, you can go to a locale with the lowest tax hit possible on the purchase. I used to dream of a retirement RV but over time, I lost interest just due to the gas cost of lugging the thing around along with once I started traveling out of the country, I really got the bug for spending months at a time in different locations in retirement and it can be done really cheap if you go to the right places.

Are we still far away from electric RVs? I would think not and that could be a major game changer.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented an RV? I am thinking about doing that his fall. We've talked about buying one in a few years and figured renting one and figuring out whether we really like it ahead of time makes sense. My wife refuses to go camping like I would like to go (long hikes in to primitive camp sites, no amenities) so this is the closest I can get to getting out in nature with her. I have so many parks I want to visit.

Just saw this thread.

Yes, I rented an RV through Cruise America. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

I was on the road from September 19th, 2020, to November 14th, 2020.

It was great! I had zero RV experience before I went.

From Chicago? I got lots of places I can recommend you go.

The picture is from my last stop before going back home. Blackwater Falls, WV

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just saw this thread.

Yes, I rented an RV through Cruise America. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

I was on the road from September 19th, 2020, to November 14th, 2020.

It was great! I had zero RV experience before I went.

From Chicago? I got lots of places I can recommend you go.

The picture is from my last stop before going back home. Blackwater Falls, WV

Very cool, nearly 2 full months on the road, I am sure you got to see a lot. Did you have a destination that stood out from the others?

We plan to be snowbirds in retirement and use the RV to move between the 2 places (MN for 3-4 months & probably TX the rest of the year) and turn that journey to long trips since we will have a lot of time on our hands. There is a lot of the country I haven't seen and I look forward to taking in all I can. I can retire at 55 but may wait until I am 57 so either way I will still be young enough to enjoy traveling.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been thinking about that since there is such a push towards electric vehicles and the technology seems to be really becoming more and more realistic. I know they are talking about electric semi-trucks very soon and if they can do those they definitely can do RVs.

I'm not sure how long an RV goes on a tank but I know at least the ones I used only got about 5-10 miles to the gallon so a 250 mile electric charge is kinda a big deal IMO

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long an RV goes on a tank but I know at least the ones I used only got about 5-10 miles to the gallon so a 250 mile electric charge is kinda a big deal IMO

Yeah, that would be great. I wonder if any of them will be capable of trickle charging by solar to extend range? They already put solar panels on RV roofs, it seems like they could add more and it would make it more efficient.

Currently the smaller RVs only have like a 10-12 MPG on a 25 gallon tank, the next step up is probably 8-10 MPG but with a 55 gallon tank. Most of what I am looking at is 32 feet long or less--not those huge bus like RVs, those cost a lot more in gas and to maintain and really is much more than I need.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be great. I wonder if any of them will be capable of trickle charging by solar to extend range? They already put solar panels on RV roofs, it seems like they could add more and it would make it more efficient.

Currently the smaller RVs only have like a 10-12 MPG on a 25 gallon tank, the next step up is probably 8-10 MPG but with a 55 gallon tank. Most of what I am looking at is 32 feet long or less--not those huge bus like RVs, those cost a lot more in gas and to maintain and really is much more than I need.

based on those tank sizes and MPG, 250 miles per electric charge is definitely a steal. I cannot imagine why solar could not trickle charge as I plan on doing that to a deep cycle battery in the back of my overland truck anyway to power miscellaneous things. Trickle charging is sooooo slow though that posting up for 30 minutes at a super charger may be the best route to go regardless.

Interesting thought either way! getting rid of the combustion engine, transmission and etc would save you a lot of maintenance costs too! There is already a network of charges all around the interstate highways.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Very cool, nearly 2 full months on the road, I am sure you got to see a lot. Did you have a destination that stood out from the others?

We plan to be snowbirds in retirement and use the RV to move between the 2 places (MN for 3-4 months & probably TX the rest of the year) and turn that journey to long trips since we will have a lot of time on our hands. There is a lot of the country I haven't seen and I look forward to taking in all I can. I can retire at 55 but may wait until I am 57 so either way I will still be young enough to enjoy traveling.

I am still putting together my trip journal.....I got notes and what not but I am getting it organized. When I am done I will throw it your way.

To answer your question and throw out some tips:

1. Best sight seeing place was Crater Lake, OR. It really was not close either, that place is amazing. 2nd Place: Badlands, SD 3rd Place: Redwoods in Humbolt, CA

2. The best state I visited? Michigan. Loved the Upper Peninsula and Mackinaw City.

3. Download the app: RoadTrippers Great app.

4. Learn about all the cool places you can camp out at. RV parks are OK, kinda expensive and packed in. A lot of state parks have RV sites that are less expensive, more spread out, and have all the amenities you want. North Dakota had places where I very well could have been the only human for miles when I camped out there. There are also free camping sites, and BLM land that you can camp at.

5. Rent before you buy. Make sure you like it.

So, I was out there for two months, but I was all alone, which was as great as it sounds. I was able to cover a lot of area, and not have to discuss plans and what not. I just went!

You could take Route 66 trips, check out the Ozarks, Missouri was a very cool state......I could go on. I hope it works out for you and you get to go explore, it is fun!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still putting together my trip journal.....I got notes and what not but I am getting it organized. When I am done I will throw it your way.

1. Best sight seeing place was Crater Lake, OR. It really was not close either, that place is amazing. 2nd Place: Badlands, SD 3rd Place: Redwoods in Humbolt, CA

Crater Lake was one of our favorite vacations ever. It was so beautiful.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

2. The best state I visited? Michigan. Loved the Upper Peninsula and Mackinaw City.

3. Download the app: RoadTrippers Great app.

4. Learn about all the cool places you can camp out at. RV parks are OK, kinda expensive and packed in. A lot of state parks have RV sites that are less expensive, more spread out, and have all the amenities you want. North Dakota had places where I very well could have been the only human for miles when I camped out there. There are also free camping sites, and BLM land that you can camp at.

5. Rent before you buy. Make sure you like it.

So, I was out there for two months, but I was all alone, which was as great as it sounds. I was able to cover a lot of area, and not have to discuss plans and what not. I just went!

You could take Route 66 trips, check out the Ozarks, Missouri was a very cool state......I could go on. I hope it works out for you and you get to go explore, it is fun!

Good stuff. We will probably rent this year since it appears our planned vacation isn't going to happen. We have started looking at possible retirement locations--we went to Galveston TX last year, probably head to Gulf Shores/Dauphin Island Alabama this year, will rent an RV to get there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose