The rich get richer...

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Several of the top QBs in the league are Black.

Obviously it's not the colour of his skin that led to him being out of the league.

Now if you said the color of his politics then maybe

You don't require black skin to be black ------!

It was his social justice views, obviously.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
He was "BLACK --------" pure and simple.

And to suggest that based on his last performance in the League he wasn't as good, better than 32 backup QB's is just silly.

He wasnt asking for backup money, he was asking for starter money. Big difference. Beware your sources, alot of the pertinent facts of Kaep's story have been hijacked by politics.

Basically he overvalued himself while simultaneously experiencing diminishing skills. Sad but true. He should have just accepted his fate at that time and signed a backup qb deal and then he could have worked on his craft and possibly get back into a starting role. Its a shame really.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eric Reid is 29.

He made the Pro bowl his rookie season and has been downhill since. Even in his rookie year his PFF grade was only 71. Since then his average is low 60s. Last season (2019) his grade was 46.6. Which is why the Panthers let him go and nobody else signed him.

He's not good anymore.

You can't say he's out of the league because of his protests. He played every season since 2016 except this last one and that's because he sucks now.
Not now. When he was blackballed for protesting with kaepernick. Those were largely the same owners.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not now. When he was blackballed for protesting with kaepernick. Those were largely the same owners.

Was he blackballed?

The kneeling started during preseason of 2016. Reid started the first 10 games of '16 then missed the rest of the season due to a torn bicep. But he didn't have a good season according to PFF picking up only a 58 grade, but the Niners already took up his 5th year option.

In '17 Shanahan and Saleh came in. They moved Ward back to FS and Reid to SS. He injured his knee in week 3 which gave Tartt the opportunity to start at SS where he played better than Reid (Tartt 78 grade that season vs Reid 70). But Reid still played 13 games as a Hybrid linebacker / safety. In fact he played 100% of snaps in that role even after Tartt took over at SS.

But then his contract was up. They had Tartt at SS, and they didn't want to pay Reid the money he wanted.

The Panthers signed him in 2018 and he played every game from week 4 onwards.

If he was blackballed it lasted 3 games. But I'm more inclined to think that he was asking for too much money (Reid: "Hey I'm a pro bowl safety" Teams: "Yeah 5 years ago") having got beat out by Tartt and having just spent a season playing outside backer.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colleges have about 10 percent black head coaches. High school is different of course, because predominantly black (area) high schools have 47% (?!) black head coaches and predominantly white high schools have 95% white head coaches, or something like that (quick google search). One could say that the coaching profession is racist, but it doesn't make sense then that predominantly black high schools have only 47% black head coaches. Who are the white people in these schools demanding that the coach be white? And the demographics of football and sports in general (other than "Olympic" sports?) is black. So it would seem that no one is really forcing a white coach on any team. In college you have the donors and what not which I would say are majority Caucasian, but do they care more about that than the quality of the coach?

If college (FBS) is 10%, why would we expect the NFL to be much higher? Perhaps black men and women don't want to coach? Is there some coaching school that supplies coaches and only takes white applicants? Could be my rose-colored glasses, but it is hard to call something racist just by looking at numbers. I would love to know more about why/why not people get into coaching, because clearly the pool of qualified candidates does NOT match the demographic of the "sport population".
It doesn’t make sense but the default in modern day America is to say something is racist.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was he blackballed?

The kneeling started during preseason of 2016. Reid started the first 10 games of '16 then missed the rest of the season due to a torn bicep. But he didn't have a good season according to PFF picking up only a 58 grade, but the Niners already took up his 5th year option.

In '17 Shanahan and Saleh came in. They moved Ward back to FS and Reid to SS. He injured his knee in week 3 which gave Tartt the opportunity to start at SS where he played better than Reid (Tartt 78 grade that season vs Reid 70). But Reid still played 13 games as a Hybrid linebacker / safety. In fact he played 100% of snaps in that role even after Tartt took over at SS.

But then his contract was up. They had Tartt at SS, and they didn't want to pay Reid the money he wanted.

The Panthers signed him in 2018 and he played every game from week 4 onwards.

If he was blackballed it lasted 3 games. But I'm more inclined to think that he was asking for too much money (Reid: "Hey I'm a pro bowl safety" Teams: "Yeah 5 years ago") having got beat out by Tartt and having just spent a season playing outside backer.

And with this in mind (because Reid was never really blackballed) was Kap? Or did he just suck?

In 2015 before his kneeling started he was benched in week 8 for Blaine Gabbert and didn't play another game. He then got beat out by Gabbert again in 2016 camp to be named the starter for Game 1. This is Blaine Gabbert. He got the job back in week 6 because Gabbert was Gabbert but he sucked. He only passed for 203 yards per game and 16 TDs in 11 starts and got pulled from a game for going 1/5 for 4 yards.

Then Shanahan came in and didn't want him for his scheme and other teams simply looked at his form the last 2 seasons where he was beat out by Gabbert twice and decided they had seen enough and that he wasn't starting caliber. It's not like he's the first QB to start a bunch then wash out. Blake Bortles has far better career stats than Kap.

Kap has become this social justice folk hero to the point that it's erased what a garbage QB he was. His BEST career grade was the 2012 season he went to the SB with a 73 grade.

His best season for yards passing was 3369 in 2014 which when combined with 639 on the ground was by far his best year. His only good year really. Blake Bortles had a 4400 passing yard season to go with 310 on the deck.

Kap's season grades for his career according to PFF? 73, 67, 64, 47, 58.

It's convenient for the social justice warriors to say Kap is out of the league because of his politics, it keeps the story going. It's a drum they can beat forever.

This simple fact is that Kap sucked. Really badly. Certainly nowhere near enough to warrant a starting NFL job. He was a considerably worse player than Bortles and Bortles can't get a backup job. More and more teams want a backup with upside, someone that might develop. It's much more common now to see the backup be a Wolford, Streveler, Hundley, Allen than a Stanton or Gabbert (both old school BA guys) who the league already know are has beens.

Hell, Winston and Marriota have FAR better stats and grades than Kap and are only just clinging on in the league.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think Kaep is good, but pretending he was worse than Bortles when all Bortles could do was produce garbage statistics with his team down by 40 isn't a very good take.

Kaepernick is the unfortunate blend of not being good enough to make up for the surrounding media circus he brings along. For wildly different reasons, this happened to Tim Tebow as well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Kaep is good, but pretending he was worse than Bortles when all Bortles could do was produce garbage statistics with his team down by 40 isn't a very good take.

Kaepernick is the unfortunate blend of not being good enough to make up for the surrounding media circus he brings along. For wildly different reasons, this happened to Tim Tebow as well.

Indeed, bortles career ended up pretty quickly
Koepernick was better then him but doesn't mean much
I guess teams didn't sign him not for his political view but because they were afraid to sign him for the turmoil and distraction he would have brought(indirectly, not his fault ) inside the organization

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What metric shall we use? Kaep's stats are trash. His win loss record is 28-30. His PFF grades suck. His passing TD ratio is barely 1 per game. What are you using to say he's better than Bortles?

Bortles also sucked. But his PFF grades are almost identical to Kaep. His stats are far better (except interceptions).

Either way they both suck. Which is the point.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
What metric shall we use? Kaep's stats are trash. His win loss record is 28-30. His PFF grades suck. His passing TD ratio is barely 1 per game. What are you using to say he's better than Bortles?

Bortles also sucked. But his PFF grades are almost identical to Kaep. His stats are far better (except interceptions).

How dare you speak ill of Kaep! Racist!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indeed, bortles career ended up pretty quickly
Koepernick was better then him but doesn't mean much
I guess teams didn't sign him not for his political view but because they were afraid to sign him for the turmoil and distraction he would have brought(indirectly, not his fault ) inside the organization

And he sucks. Mainly he sucks. But the circus is the nail in the coffin.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
Kaep sucked and his use of the race card may have allowed him to extort money from the NFL on his BS collaboration game. Fortunately, however the individual teams stayed away from this guy who lacked any of the physical or intangible qualities needed to be a leader.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

If I recall correctly, you haven't been watching football for more than ~5 years or so, right? I don't mean that in a way to invalidate your thoughts here, just that you wouldn't have been watching when Kaepernick took over as the starter for the 49ers and then was absolutely electric. He looked like the next big thing, and almost won the Super Bowl. In 2013, he picked up where he left off. By 2014/2015, teams began to figure him out. But for two years, he was running one of the better teams in the league, and people considered him the reason the offense ascended over Alex Smith. Now, they had a dominant rushing attack, so Colin didn't have to put the ball in the air as much, but he was considered good.

Bortles is the opposite. His teams were always well behind, and it's partly because he turned the ball over so incredibly much. Not a single year under 10 interceptions.

As Matthew Berry used to say, "he'll Bortles his way to fantasy relevance for you," which became a term for getting production in nothing but garbage time. I don't love QBR as a reference normally, but if you want the comparison between Bortles and Kaep, take a look there. Bortles' is so low because his production was irrelevant in games.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kaep sucked and his use of the race card may have allowed him to extort money from the NFL on his BS collaboration game. Fortunately, however the individual teams stayed away from this guy who lacked any of the physical or intangible qualities needed to be a leader.

Please enumerate the "physical" qualities of leadership and how KAP failed the grade?

Too tall, too short, too fat, too slow, too, too?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't love QBR as a reference normally, but if you want the comparison between Bortles and Kaep, take a look there. Bortles' is so low because his production was irrelevant in games.

QBR Kaep:
2011 - 69.5 (3 games, 0 starts)
2012 - 71.8 (13 games / 7 starts)
2013 - 67.3 (16/16)
2014 - 60.9 (16/16)
2015 - 43.7 (9/8)
2016 - 49.2 (12/11)

QBR Bortles:
2014 - 26.7 (14/13)
2015 - 51.4 (16/16)
2016 - 43.0 (16/16)
2017 - 59.2 (16/16)
2018 - 43.4 (13/12)
2019 - N/A

So for Kaep's last two years, it did look like the league figured him out.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This actually makes a TON of sense now.

Even if he started later it seems he put a lot of passion on this game and he is pretty well documented

Solar sometimes come with some takes, that make me wondering if he really watches full games

So in the end of the day doesn't matter for many years u followed it but how

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So u want to highlight this aspect to discredit his opinion, what a low blow...

If I recall correctly, you haven't been watching football for more than ~5 years or so, right? I don't mean that in a way to invalidate your thoughts here, just that you wouldn't have been watching when Kaepernick took over as the starter for the 49ers and then was absolutely electric.

:mulli:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes but even if u did in some elegant manner U did it
u noticed it to discredit him
In a underhanded way

Nowdays u can watch clips from the past, making research and being enough documented of the subject even if u didn't live it

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes but even if u did in some elegant manner U did it
u noticed it to discredit him
In a underhanded way

Nowdays u can watch clips from the past and being enough documented of the subject even if u didn't live it
Dude, it's not discrediting anyone to understand they might not have seen the history of a topic, and that if they'd been around for the time, there was a story beyond the statistics.

If you sat and looked at Kurt Warner's stats between 2002-2006 without watching the NFL or our team, you'd assume his goose was cooked. Those of us who watched him play on one arm in 2007 weren't shocked when he was incredible in 2008. I wouldn't expect a newer fan then to know that Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson were flash in the pan players five years earlier... their statistics didn't back it up over their careers.

@BritCard has done a ton of research into the game, and I respect him for it. The numbers don't always match how important they were to their team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose