Free Agency is Going to be Wild

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our problems on the O-line are from centre - right.

Pugh at age 30 is hardly old for an O-lineman and I would extend him to lower cap and sign Thuney who'll be a lot cheaper than Scherff, and target Chris Carson (Seattle) to team with Drake and Edmonds.

Humphries - Pugh - (Gaillard/Cole) - Thuney - Jones.

If they cut Hicks the $3m saving should go to D. Campbell.

Extend C. jones.
You’re going to use free agent money to sign both Carson and drake? Um. . .

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my expectations for free agency:

Fitz, P2 and Drake arent back

Reddick is retained

one big name is added in the defensive secondary

four or five unexciting names are added in addition

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. You can ignore the actual stats and ranking and trust your eyes that evidently didn't see two games at the end of the season when the Cards "D" gave up 20 and 9 points and our "O" blew the opportunity to reach the playoffs.

they gave up 20 points to a team playing 3rd stringers and it was only 20 points because their kicker missed two easy FGs and an extra point. Evidently you didn’t see that game if all you came away from it was seeing that pathetic Niners offense score 20 points while also dominating the game with a 37-23 TOP difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our problems on the O-line are from centre - right.

Pugh at age 30 is hardly old for an O-lineman and I would extend him to lower cap and sign Thuney who'll be a lot cheaper than Scherff, and target Chris Carson (Seattle) to team with Drake and Edmonds.

Humphries - Pugh - (Gaillard/Cole) - Thuney - Jones.

If they cut Hicks the $3m saving should go to D. Campbell.

Extend C. jones.

Youre going to sign Carson AND Drake AND go into next season still with the gaping hole at C? Man... that would be an absolutely awful plan if it came to be and waste of resources on one position, running back, that is highly dependent on the offensive line to be successful.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Youre going to sign Carson AND Drake AND go into next season still with the gaping hole at C? Man... that would be an absolutely awful plan if it came to be and waste of resources on one position, running back, that is highly dependent on the offensive line to be successful.
I'm not touching Carson or Drake with a ten foot pole.

Let me be clear that I'm not really advocating what it would cost, but geez, I would love to sign Aaron Jones. He seems ideal for this offense. I can't imagine it happening. Just keep me away from Drake. Respectable human, mediocre player.

I didn't plan on this being my free agency plan post, but I completely advocate signing Scherff/Thuney, and in miracle world, Linsley.

Retain PP21 on a 2 year deal, let Reddick test FA and bring him back if we can, retain Golden, tender Gardeck, sign Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis (I don't love Davis, but I'm hoping he can succeed in the role at a decent cost).

In the draft, I go CB/RB in the first two rounds, as long as it shakes out well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Let me be clear that I'm not really advocating what it would cost, but geez, I would love to sign Aaron Jones. He seems ideal for this offense. I can't imagine it happening. Just keep me away from Drake. Respectable human, mediocre player.

I didn't plan on this being my free agency plan post, but I completely advocate signing Scherff/Thuney, and in miracle world, Linsley.

Retain PP21 on a 2 year deal, let Reddick test FA and bring him back if we can, retain Golden, tender Gardeck, sign Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis (I don't love Davis, but I'm hoping he can succeed in the role at a decent cost).

In the draft, I go CB/RB in the first two rounds, as long as it shakes out well.

U keep repeating also if u are wrong
Do u expect others can follow u on this
Drake hasn't played at the level he did in his first season but clearly it was more on the offensive line
Edmonds when started looked even worse

BTW his numbers
22 games 1800yards 18 tds
Call him mediocre is way off base

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
U keep repeating also if u are wrong
Do u expect others can follow u on this
Drake hasn't played at the level he did in his first season but clearly it was more on the offensive line
Edmonds when started looked even worse

BTW his numbers
22 games 1800yards 18 tds
Call him mediocre is way off base
Where'd his receiving production disappear to? The guy has had 5 seasons and three head coaches to show he's worthy of a full time starting job, but has never gotten to 1,000 yards. He had the 7th most carries in the NFL, and couldn't get 1,000 yards. His yards per attempt were 42nd. Why continue to make excuses for the guy? He's a complementary back, nothing more. I don't think that's a hot take, even.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
pure speculation: i wonder if Marshawn Lattimore is available via trade

$10mm cap hit on the 5th year option figure for 2021. Cards would have to sign him to a long term extension to get that 2021 number down to make it work

NO is in terrible cap shape and will have to make numerous painful football decisions

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they gave up 20 points to a team playing 3rd stringers and it was only 20 points because their kicker missed two easy FGs and an extra point. Evidently you didn’t see that game if all you came away from it was seeing that pathetic Niners offense score 20 points while also dominating the game with a 37-23 TOP difference.

And we couldn't score 21.

And our pathetic "O" that day also relates to TOP.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was picking up on the suggestion in an earlier post that targetted HYDE and offered my preference for Carson.

And I don't consider "C" with Gaillard / Cole a gaping hole.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can talk about free agency until the cows come home but until we start hitting on some draft picks we are going to be mediocre.

You can’t build a team on free agents. The cap doesn’t allow it. Can Galliard and Jones step in a start on this offensive line? Can Thompson be a quality starter at safety? Can Benjamin contribute at RB? Can Johnson or Issabella suddenly emerge and contribute at Wr?

many of those answers are no. Which means we have to find replacements which cut heavily into the cap. I agree with Solar we have to go CB in the first and RB in round two AND THEY HAVE TO START or at least make a huge contribution.

Restructure Jones, sign Reddick, and hopefully find a # 2 Wr. Sweezy is gone. Hopefully Jones can replace Beachum.

thays a start.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my expectations for free agency:

Fitz, P2 and Drake arent back

Reddick is retained

one big name is added in the defensive secondary

four or five unexciting names are added in addition

Are there any big secondary big names available? Cupboard looks bare.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Aaron Jones is the same size, weight and speed as Edmonds. You put Jones in this junk scheme and he's going to run like Edmonds too.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We can talk about free agency until the cows come home but until we start hitting on some draft picks we are going to be mediocre.

You can’t build a team on free agents. The cap doesn’t allow it. Can Galliard and Jones step in a start on this offensive line? Can Thompson be a quality starter at safety? Can Benjamin contribute at RB? Can Johnson or Issabella suddenly emerge and contribute at Wr?

many of those answers are no. Which means we have to find replacements which cut heavily into the cap. I agree with Solar we have to go CB in the first and RB in round two AND THEY HAVE TO START or at least make a huge contribution.
Yep, we are at a point where we can't redshirt the first three rounds of our drafts anymore. Players need to play.

Are there any big secondary big names available? Cupboard looks bare.
Nope, the pickings are slim. A trade or major cut would have to happen.

Aaron Jones is the same size, weight and speed as Edmonds. You put Jones in this junk scheme and he's going to run like Edmonds too.
Eh, agree to disagree, but yes, the scheme isn't doing anyone any favors.