Jalen Smith

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see the potential for another Cliff Robinson...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jesus bud your reaching

listen I’m sorry for hurting you but it’s become painfully clear I got you feeling a certain type of way.

Lol... ok!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see the potential for another Cliff Robinson...

I like the Cliff Robinson comparison. This might be one of the better ones.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the anal retentive among us, I'd like to mention that Alvan Adams was (and still is) the name of our 1976 Rookie of the Year center. Not to be confused with his long-time teammate Alvin Scott.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if we were able to get an Uncle Spliffy out of this draft, that would be huge in the overall scheme of things for the future of this team. Throw him into a DeLorean and bring him to the future and you’re talking the perfect fit with Ayton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
if we were able to get an Uncle Spliffy out of this draft, that would be huge in the overall scheme of things for the future of this team. Throw him into a DeLorean and bring him to the future and you’re talking the perfect fit with Ayton.

Agreed. And I think Smith is a better rebounder.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Cliff Robinson one of my top all time Phoenix Suns, just behind Mark West and Raja Bell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah. If he projects to that, we probably have one of the best front courts in the NBA even if Ayton never reaches the peak we want him to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cliff was an underrated rebounder, he took care of his area and was one of the best I've seen at blocking out for his teammates. Not that he was a great rebounder, just that his low average doesn't tell the full story especially since he spent much of his career on the perimeter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cliff was an underrated rebounder, he took care of his area and was one of the best I've seen at blocking out for his teammates. Not that he was a great rebounder, just that his low average doesn't tell the full story especially since he spent much of his career on the perimeter.

My comment wasn't a knock on Cliff, so much as a nod to Smith.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliff Robinson one of my top all time Phoenix Suns, just behind Mark West and Raja Bell.

I didn't like Cliff at all when he was in Portland. But for me, he became that guy I loved once he played for my team. And through the years, he's the only player I can say I hated elsewhere but loved him as a Sun.

West was very limited but you knew you'd get tough non-stop effort from him every time he took the court (until the refs gave him the 6 count). I have mixed feelings on Raja Bell though. I know most everyone here applauded his cheap shot on Kobe but I thought it was nothing but low class. If I ran this league, a non-basketball attack like that one would have had the player out of the league for a prolonged period.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't like Cliff at all when he was in Portland. But for me, he became that guy I loved once he played for my team. And through the years, he's the only player I can say I hated elsewhere but loved him as a Sun.

I liked the addition of Cliff Robinson.

The player who I disliked elsewhere but liked as a Sun was Danny Ainge.

West was very limited but you knew you'd get tough non-stop effort from him every time he took the court (until the refs gave him the 6 count). I have mixed feelings on Raja Bell though. I know most everyone here applauded his cheap shot on Kobe but I thought it was nothing but low class. If I ran this league, a non-basketball attack like that one would have had the player out of the league for a prolonged period.

I don't condone the approach Raja Bell used against Kobe but I understand it. The referees were not calling fouls on Kobe while he persistently elbowed Raja in the face. Raja was a very good defender and Kobe was making him pay the price for defending him. This is what happens when referees swallow the whistle. Make no mistake, Kobe was fouling Raja consistently in the face with his elbow until this incident and getting away with it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I liked the addition of Cliff Robinson.

The player who I disliked elsewhere but liked as a Sun was Danny Ainge.

I don't condone the approach Raja Bell used against Kobe but I understand it. The referees were not calling fouls on Kobe while he persistently elbowed Raja in the face. Raja was a very good defender and Kobe was making him pay the price for defending him. This is what happens when referees swallow the whistle. Make no mistake, Kobe was fouling Raja consistently in the face with his elbow until this incident and getting away with it.
My son was playing in a rec league and him and another kid were escalating their pushes and shoves. The ref was oblivious and there were three of them. I yelled real loud to have them watch #22 which was my son! They kept ignoring me even though EVERYONE heard me. So I got up and started walking towards the closest ref, when a full fledged fight broke out. They were both kicked out of the game. Then the ref came over to me, and said, "You were trying to warn us for like 3 minutes weren't you?" We both kind of laughed about it!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I liked Cliff a lot because he was versatile... and then would hate him every playoffs where he consistently couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son was playing in a rec league and him and another kid were escalating their pushes and shoves. The ref was oblivious and there were three of them. I yelled real loud to have them watch #22 which was my son! They kept ignoring me even though EVERYONE heard me. So I got up and started walking towards the closest ref, when a full fledged fight broke out. They were both kicked out of the game. Then the ref came over to me, and said, "You were trying to warn us for like 3 minutes weren't you?" We both kind of laughed about it!

Frustration builds up for sure when fouls are consistently not called.

For a moment I thought you were going to say you got kicked out of the game. :p

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. For comparison's sake.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The difference is that Jalen is by far the better rebounder. However, JJJr was a one-and-done while JS is coming out as a sophomore.

These are two of the most versatile bigs to come out of college in a decade.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So. For comparison's sake.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The difference is that Jalen is by far the better rebounder. However, JJJr was a one-and-done while JS is coming out as a sophomore.

These are two of the most versatile bigs to come out of college in a decade.
JJJ is a little more athletic and JS is a better rebounder. I also think I prefer JS’ stroke from deep.

Even if JS can’t do a great job of defending the perimeter, Ayton can. Then they would be a dominant duo protecting the rim. They would be an amazing defensive duo all together if JS can show to be able to guard the perimeter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would’ve been a Cheese story.

My High School coach wasn’t super happy after the game when he turned to me as captain and asked if I had anything to say after getting kicked out of the game, expecting me to apologize, only for me to instead ask “Did they end up reversing the call after I got kicked out?”

in my defense... they did and we won!

getting kicked out of the intramural game and having to go in front of a disciplinary board to grovel, lie and apologize to keep from getting kicked out of the league in college was probably a bit much.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
yeah. If he projects to that, we probably have one of the best front courts in the NBA even if Ayton never reaches the peak we want him to.

About The WE want him to part.

What BIG man has put up 17 Pts 10 boards and a block

His first 2 years in the NBA while being the clear cut 2nd option

Most bigs in Ayton's case being the number 1 pick will have the keys to the team

This is Books team he is option one and two for the most part

Don't know many big men that young or that early in their careers that have or can do better

Ayton is nearly a 20/10 player at 22 years old while not being the focus of the teams
offense.

He is already one of the league's better big men and he should be a college senior.

I see comment after comment of what he is not

A good if not great YOUNG player is what he is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
About The WE want him to part.

What BIG man has put up 17 Pts 10 boards and a block

His first 2 years in the NBA while being the clear cut 2nd option

Most bigs in Ayton's case being the number 1 pick will have the keys to the team

This is Books team he is option one and two for the most part

But Ayton would be the #1 option if he were up to it. Doncic didn't need anyone's permission to take over as the #1 option in Dallas.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But Ayton would be the #1 option if he were up to it. Doncic didn't need anyone's permission to take over as the #1 option in Dallas.
You're right, but your Dallas comparison is flawed. Who else but Doncic could be the #1 option on that time when he was drafted? Porzingis is the clear #2, and he wasn't even on the team yet when Doncic was drafted.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score

He did not have a player capable of scoring 70 pts on his team either.

Booker is on pace to break or compete with every Suns scoring record.

Booker is one of the best scorers at his age the NBA has ever seen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You guys act like playing with Booker should somehow dampen Ayton’s scoring. Last I checked there have been multiple teams with multiple 20+ scorers on them. If anything playing with a prolific perimeter scorer should have enhanced Ayton’s scoring opportunities.

this is such a silly argument. If Ayton had more fire in his belly he would be near unstoppable already. There’s a reason so many on this board are hoping Chris Paul gets the best out of him . . . it’s because he hasn’t done that himself yet.

Just because fans recognize that he isn’t scratching his ceiling doesn’t mean we don’t what recognize what he does bring. But it also doesn’t mean we can’t be frustrated with his shortcomings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose