Suns one of the most chippy teams?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the roster and it’s full of grind them down no backdown types. What ya guys think?

Do you mean chippy? If the team is chirpy I am REALLY REALLY WORRIED. Being cheerful isn't going to help us in the West. :mrgreen:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will be a gritty team. Chris Paul, Jevon Carter and Jae Crowder should contribute greatly to it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are by far the best defensive team I can remember the Suns ever having. Jones has clearly had a plan. He added a third veteran star to Ayton and Booker. It's not the best "big three" in the league, but it is a legit trio--depending on how Ayton develops this year.

He then surrounded them with competent NBA players who can all shoot and play gritty defense. They are also smart players who buy in to team defense and don't bring off the court baggage.

The only player that does not fit the mold is Jones. Can't shoot.

What a contrast to McD, who populated our roster with unskilled but athletic players with mush for brains.

OP
OP
Johninromania

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
They are by far the best defensive team I can remember the Suns ever having. Jones has clearly had a plan. He added a third veteran star to Ayton and Booker. It's not the best "big three" in the league, but it is a legit trio--depending on how Ayton develops this year.

He then surrounded them with competent NBA players who can all shoot and play gritty defense. They are also smart players who buy in to team defense and don't bring off the court baggage.

The only player that does not fit the mold is Jones. Can't shoot.

What a contrast to McD, who populated our roster with unskilled but athletic players with mush for brains.
Basically what I was thinking! Even in the golden age of the Suns, they where always considered elite on the offensive end but soft on defense. Dare I say kind of reminds me of old Utah teams with better shooting.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adding Crowder was huge, he give us flexibility to go large or small.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Height and defense against some of the bigger power forwards is one of my primary concerns if Jalen Smith is not ready to contribute.

Of course if he is ready to contribute, he can play in both small ball and big lineups.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adding Crowder was huge, he give us flexibility to go large or small.
Yep. These front lines will be interesting.

Mikal, Crowder, Ayton
Mikal, Cam, Ayton
Mikal, Smith, Ayton
Crowder, Cam, Ayton
Mikal, Crowder, Saric

And so many more combos. It's because of the defensive versatility of Mikal, Cam, Crowder, and Ayton. And that doesn't really even consider Paul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. These front lines will be interesting.

Mikal, Crowder, Ayton
Mikal, Cam, Ayton
Mikal, Smith, Ayton
Crowder, Cam, Ayton
Mikal, Crowder, Saric

And so many more combos. It's because of the defensive versatility of Mikal, Cam, Crowder, and Ayton. And that doesn't really even consider Paul.

Jones could see flashes of minutes too for the XXL lineup.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have not been a big fan of the CP3 trade, but one of the blessings of Paul is that he is a pg who will not ignore his bigs. A lot of perimeter players in the league seem to ignore their inside players.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton needs more of a killer instinct. He has the ability to be the best big man in NBA but lacks the aggressive demeanor to get him there. He needs to be the main focus on opponent's scouting reports to alleviate pressure off Booker.

He develops that this year and we are a really dangerous team along with Paul staying healthy.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ayton needs more of a killer instinct. He has the ability to be the best big man in NBA but lacks the aggressive demeanor to get him there. He needs to be the main focus on opponent's scouting reports to alleviate pressure off Booker.

He develops that this year and we are a really dangerous team along with Paul staying healthy.
Maybe he should meet my ex wife, that would bring out the killer instinct. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he meant a chip on their shoulders.

That's what the Suns have always needed.

The only years that approached it were
the Barkley-Majerle years.
No. He started out by saying "chirpy" and then corrected the thread title to "chippy." I think its an English as a second language thing. Just poking a little fun.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully Paul and Crowder bring that toughness and gets Ayton out of his shell and play with a bit of a mean streak

OP
OP
Johninromania

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
No. He started out by saying "chirpy" and then corrected the thread title to "chippy." I think its an English as a second language thing. Just poking a little fun.
Nah, English and Romanian are about equal. I speak English as my first language at home with my wife. But living overseas my daily conversations are in Romanian and I loose words here and there that use to be common to me.

What’s even worse is I speak a Transylvanian dialect of Romanian which outside Transylvania confuses the rest of the country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose