Jalen Smith

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
plays absolutely nothing like Horace Grant. I imagine him a Tyson Chandler/Channing Frye hybrid.

this kid was a 5 star recruit and McDonalds all American who’s only gotten better every year.

the more I look into the more hyped I get
Cool i didn't see him play at college another frye 3 pt shooter would be dope looks lkne he can rebound pretty good from highlights videos

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need Smith to be better than Frye, who took several years to amount to anything in the NBA, and then who only had a couple of noteworthy seasons.

The hope is that he ends up closer to a better defending Rashard Lewis or a more composed and disciplined Rasheed Wallace.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This dude is ripped. I would love a Ben Wallace with range. Be that please! We need "Dominayton" (typed sarcastically) to be what we need him to be on offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need Smith to be better than Frye, who took several years to amount to anything in the NBA, and then who only had a couple of noteworthy seasons.

The hope is that he ends up closer to a better defending Rashard Lewis or a more composed and disciplined Rasheed Wallace.

I like the Rasheed Wallace or Serge Ibaka comparison.

Smith is much more athletic than Frye and he should be more than a stretch power forward.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If jalen only turns out as good as Frye than the pick will be a failure in my book.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Smith is much more athletic than Frye and he should be more than a stretch power forward.

I tried to avoid referencing Ibaka, who is the most obvious comparison, because we could and should have signed Ibaka himself to mentor Smith.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tried to avoid referencing Ibaka, who is the most obvious comparison, because we could and should have signed Ibaka himself to mentor Smith.

cant sign a guy when he has no interest in coming here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
cant sign a guy when he has no interest in coming here.

Why didn't he have any interest in coming here? If he signs here instead of with the Clippers, then we are likely favored to have a better record than the Clippers.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I also like those comps more than Frye, especially Ibaka. His upper body ALREADY looks like Kevin Willis (Lower body:?: Manut Bol).

Like Willis, Smith is a much better rebounder than Sheed, or Frye. (They were actually terrible rebounders). Honestly, this is a major strength of Jalen's.

A good rebounder has three major characteristics: timing, fundamentals, and instinct. Smith really shows promise in all three. He's a hard nose rebounder that will battle for the ball every time. He does an excellent job of keeping his man boxed out and displays unteachable timing on meeting the ball (also displayed on his blocks). He's also that guy that just happens to be at the "right place at the right time"... all the time.

I fully expect his rebounding per 36 to hover around 10+ for his career. Having guys like Ayton next to him will bring those numbers down, but he's still going to get his share. The one "knock" on ORB will be if he's staying out at the 3pt line he won't be in position as often to get boards. But that's just stat stuffing nonsense. The point is, Jalen is going to help his team whether he's boarding or sniping.

This is, of course, all contingent on his lower body development.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
plays absolutely nothing like Horace Grant. I imagine him a Tyson Chandler/Channing Frye hybrid.

this kid was a 5 star recruit and McDonalds all American who’s only gotten better every year.

Channing Frye? Only because he can shoot the three. If he’s really a rebounder/shot-blocker/defender he’s closer to ho grant with more range. Remember, grant wasn’t a post-up player. He was a midrange jump shooter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why didn't he have any interest in coming here? If he signs here instead of with the Clippers, then we are likely favored to have a better record than the Clippers.

Are you kidding? The Clippers are younger, they’re not dependent on a 36 year old with injury history and their superstars are more proven than we are. And he’s boys with Kawhi who he already won a title with.

An argument that he would have come here over the Clippers is idiotic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Are you kidding? The Clippers are younger, they’re not dependent on a 36 year old with injury history and their superstars are more proven than we are. And he’s boys with Kawhi who he already won a title with.

An argument that he would have come here over the Clippers is idiotic.
100%

We start winning and we can start having the "why didn't he come here over a better team?" conversation. Until then, I've already forgotten about Ibaka as a free agent.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Looks similar to Grant in build and play style, a little more range but not quite as quick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100%

We start winning and we can start having the "why didn't he come here over a better team?" conversation. Until then, I've already forgotten about Ibaka as a free agent.

same. And I was leading the Ibaka train since the bubble.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He will never have the face-up game of Lewis. He will never have the back to the basket game of Sheed.

Horace Grant is actually a good call.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Over time this kid will make James Jones like an efing genius. Im just happy i get to be along for the ride. I don't care who he plays like.

"Everything we want is on the other side of hard" Monte

I like the swag and work ethic of the guys we have on this team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Channing Frye? Only because he can shoot the three. If he’s really a rebounder/shot-blocker/defender he’s closer to ho grant with more range. Remember, grant wasn’t a post-up player. He was a midrange jump shooter.

right cause Tyson Chandler didn’t rebound, block or defend huh. He’s way more athletic than Grant that’s why I said Chandler cause Smith is also long and lanky and one of Smith Strengths is rim running.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s kinda hard to find a comparison because of all he does well. He is an energy guy, blocks shots, plays d, shoots the 3, rebounds, high IQ, stays out of foul trouble, shoots free throws well, has a decent mid range game, and is self-aware, a hard worker, and teachable.

His weaknesses are lower body strength, passing, post up game and lateral quickness. Lower body strength is easily resolvable with gym time. Post up game is not even a thing in the NBA. Lateral quickness can be trained somewhat with stretching and technique but will be the one thing that will probably remain. Passing might be a vision thing. Those goggles have to limit peripheral vision. It’s rare to find a young player that ticks so many boxes.

He does not have the physical presence of Wiseman, who I think will be a star, or the electricity of Toppin, or the strength of Onwangu, but has a combination of assets they don’t have either. His floor is solid NBA contributor. His ceiling is solid NBA starter.

He is an energy guy. When you watch him play he clearly plays with more effort than Ayton (or most other NBA bigs). That’s what I liked about Toppin too. It’s one of the things that sets Siakam apart. I think most bigs get gassed quickly. Ayton certainly does.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
right cause Tyson Chandler didn’t rebound, block or defend huh. He’s way more athletic than Grant that’s why I said Chandler cause Smith is also long and lanky and one of Smith Strengths is rim running.
Where in my post did I say anything about Tyson chandler?

But if you want to bring up Tyson he’s also a terrible comp because chandler had at least three inches on Jalen and Tyson had ZERO offensive skill.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man, I hope everyone’s expectations come true for this kid. To read this board you wouldn’t know he was the 10th pick in what’s considered a talent poor draft at the top and a considered a reach by many at that the 10 spot. Draft picks fail more often than not. I like the kid, but reading about floors and expectations . . . well, let’s just say I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s a good rotation player for us.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where in my post did I say anything about Tyson chandler?

But if you want to bring up Tyson he’s also a terrible comp because chandler had at least three inches on Jalen and Tyson had ZERO offensive skill.

*sighs*

in the post you quoted me I said he’s a Tyson Chandler/ Channing Frye hybrid type. You just took the Frye part

Smith is a lanky rim runner who blocks shots and spots up from 3. That’s why I says he’s he’s a hybrid between Chandler and Frye.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I hope everyone’s expectations come true for this kid. To read this board you wouldn’t know he was the 10th pick in what’s considered a talent poor draft at the top and a considered a reach by many at that the 10 spot. Draft picks fail more often than not. I like the kid, but reading about floors and expectations . . . well, let’s just say I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s a good rotation player for us.
For the 10th player in this draft, that’s probably ok, especially with the minutes he will get on this team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose