Welcome Jae Crowder to the Phoenix Suns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pointing out Jae's not drawing contact (as with Ayton) was not
about him as much as the Suns continuation of their "finesse" DNA.

Or to put it bluntly, wuss basketball in a league that is indeed a
contact sport, especially down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Teams that are physical hardly get called for contact, but the wuss
teams that try to retaliate half-heartedly get penalized. To put it
another way, teams that are expected to be tough get away with
it, while those that aren't get the penalties.

It's like the philosophy, don't ask for permission to break the rules.
Do it, benefit the rewards, then face the consequences -- maybe.

Human nature! It may not be right but, as the saying goes,
there is no gravity -- the earth sucks. :shrug:

I agree that you have to play with some physicality to get the break on certain kind of calls and our history runs the other way. But Monty has us playing a little more physical and to that we're adding Paul and Crowder, two players that are known to be feisty on the court. So, we'll see.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Isn't it up to the coaches to figure out how? Then it's up to Ayton to have the courage to do it.
Sure the coaches can guide him, but it largely comes down to him just seeking out contact instead of avoiding it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Crowder is anything but a finesse player. That's why he started every game of the playoffs all the way to the finals last year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't like the Crowder signing, but one thing he is not is a wuss or finesse guy. He just has no offensive game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A rosy outlook on the Crowder signing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice piece.

I can’t recall a suns team with this many players with strong defense reps:

bridges
Paul
Crowder
Carter
Ayton (I think people begin to recognize this year - particularly with some premium defenders around him)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice piece.

I can’t recall a suns team with this many players with strong defense reps:

bridges
Paul
Crowder
Carter
Ayton (I think people begin to recognize this year - particularly with some premium defenders around him)

Yeah replacing Oubre with Crowder reminds me of replacing Joe Johnson with Raja Bell.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah replacing Oubre with Crowder reminds me of replacing Joe Johnson with Raja Bell.
It would be great for these players’ efforts to translate into a defensive and toughness reputation for the suns. It makes a huge difference in close games to be able to play physically bc refs believe it’s just good defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jayson Taytum deal could almost break the bank. That's almost $40 million a season.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
A bunch of talk about Crowder and his shooting. He’s not here for that he’s here to bring defense and an attitude to the team. Gone is the swag and looking cool BS now it’s guys like Paul and Crowder coming to fight and win

I like it
Yeah, West is still very tough, but Suns are down to business at least. This team won't be pushed aroud easily at all. And it has the scorers.
Jevon Carter is also back. Next need Saric back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jayson Taytum deal could almost break the bank. That's almost $40 million a season.

Gulp. This NBA.

The NFL is a business. The NBA is a hobby.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday who said that Gordon Hayward will make more than any NFL player in history.

I know that there are 1500 NFL players and just 450 or so NBA players but still, you would think the NFL stars would be better compensated, and well Hayward has been a disappointment and is still getting that money--guaranteed.

It seems that you cannot be successful in the NBA unless you have a billionaire owner who doesn't care about the money. To me, its a model that eventually is doomed to failure.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the signing but do wish the 3rd year was a team option. Most likely having it all guaranteed with no options is why he chose us though so its fine. He did start for the eastern conference champs last year so I'm not sure why some think he's washed up or something. He's a much better, and younger, version of PJ Tucker. He'll help shore up the defense and will hopefully help establish the team as a gritty no nonsense team with toughness across the board.

A lineup of Paul, Carter, Bridges, Crowder, and Ayton could be the best defensive lineup the Suns ever had. Definitely the best in 20 years.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I like the signing but do wish the 3rd year was a team option. Most likely having it all guaranteed with no options is why he chose us though so its fine. He did start for the eastern conference champs last year so I'm not sure why some think he's washed up or something. He's a much better, and younger, version of PJ Tucker. He'll help shore up the defense and will hopefully help establish the team as a gritty no nonsense team with toughness across the board.

A lineup of Paul, Carter, Bridges, Crowder, and Ayton could be the best defensive lineup the Suns ever had. Definitely the best in 20 years.
Booker also ramped up his intensity last year as well. They should be in every single contest and a playoff team. Not an easy out if their main guys are good to go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gulp. This NBA.

The NFL is a business. The NBA is a hobby.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday who said that Gordon Hayward will make more than any NFL player in history.

I know that there are 1500 NFL players and just 450 or so NBA players but still, you would think the NFL stars would be better compensated, and well Hayward has been a disappointment and is still getting that money--guaranteed.

It seems that you cannot be successful in the NBA unless you have a billionaire owner who doesn't care about the money. To me, its a model that eventually is doomed to failure.

Gordon Hayward has been a disappointment since he left the Jazz yet teams are still paying him trying to recapture the magic they saw there.

I think the NBA is the wrong business for owners trying to operate on a budget.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gordon Hayward has been a disappointment since he left the Jazz yet teams are still paying him trying to recapture the magic they saw there.

I think the NBA is the wrong business for owners trying to operate on a budget.

To be fair it was his injuries that derailed him when he went to Boston. Last year he seemed to be back to the same level he was prior to his injury but his minutes were much lower.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To be fair it was his injuries that derailed him when he went to Boston. Last year he seemed to be back to the same level he was prior to his injury but his minutes were much lower.

I watched a game where whoever he switched on got the ball on offense, and they were just driving around him like a turnstile. He has a good jumper still. He was having trouble with lateral moves on defense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Financially it's worked out well for Gordon Hayward but I didn't like the way he left the Jazz.

Of course now, the days of loyalty are over.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Financially it's worked out well for Gordon Hayward but I didn't like the way he left the Jazz.

Of course now, the days of loyalty are over.
All about the media $$ and gettin yours.
If it wasn't for the competition it would be unrelatable. I liked the era of 10 buck nosebleeds and packed arenas. Maybe they should bring it back! ;):suns:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson