Welcome Jae Crowder to the Phoenix Suns

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like it. We are on the verge of being an elite defensive team.

The Phoenix Suns.

Elite.

Defense.

Pigs are definitely flying.
I agree! For weeks now I keep reading we need more defense, more athleticism, etc. We sign Crowder after people were bitching Sarver was too cheap to spend money. Then everyone is bitching we spent too much money on Crowder? Spending too much of Sarver's money? I can't keep up. We don't spend money. Blame Sarver. We spend too much money, blame Sarver!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If these are the HIGHLIGHTS, it's even worse than I thought. Yes, Crowder took a charge and made a nice play here and there, but on most of these plays, Crowder was slow to switch or switched to the wrong man, or simply got abused by Giannis, who either shot right over him or just backed him down in the paint with ease. Try again.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude, he started every playoff game for a team that went to the finals last year. Think people might take you more seriously if your takes weren't so extreme.

Again, he was the weak link. Go back and look at the box scores and the game tape and tell me otherwise...

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it pronounced Crowdair or Crowda?

I want to make sure I say it right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seems like a lot to pay for Crowder, but I have no idea what kind of interest the other players out there were showing. Am I the only one here who really liked Baynes?
His deal is an overpay but that’s where we, and the market, are at present. In any light he’s an upgrade for us on the court.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His deal is an overpay but that’s where we, and the market, are at present. In any light he’s an upgrade for us on the court.

An upgrade over whom? Both Cam and Saric are better at the 4, and Bridges is better at the 3.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arent most of these deals overpay? Anyone see what Melton got? Yikes.

Yeah, that was even worse than our overpay for Crowder and rivaled perhaps only by the contract the Hornets gave Heyward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK. 1. who in the hell is going to guard Giannis and be successful every play? 2. is that Ayton's man?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Again, he was the weak link. Go back and look at the box scores and the game tape and tell me otherwise...
I'm looking at the box scores and Giannis was way below his numbers from the regular season. He averaged 29.5 points on 55% shooting with 5.5 assists in the regular season and averaged 22/5 on 50% in the Miami series. Seems to not support your argument too well does it?...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm looking at the box scores and Giannis was way below his numbers from the regular season. He averaged 29.5 points on 55% shooting with 5.5 assists in the regular season and averaged 22/5 on 50% in the Miami series. Seems to not support your argument too well does it?...

Except at least half of the time, Crowder was on Middleton, who played like a Hall of Famer in that series.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After letting it settle, I am really happy with this signing, as long as we keep Saric. We needed a 3-4 defender that can shoot. That's what Jae is. He is also a strong player, smart, experienced. He does look slow footed recently, but he has always looked that way. He found a way to be effective throughout the playoffs last year. We do not have a star and a backup at pf. We have two journeymen. At least we have players that can effectively man the position.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Except at least half of the time, Crowder was on Middleton, who played like a Hall of Famer in that series.
Middleton averaged 25 points, but shot only 41% from the field and 33% from 3. Both of those shooting numbers are well below his regular season average.

Neither guy played particularly well (especially compared to how they played in the regular season) and somehow that is a knock on Crowder? Seems like a positive, not a negative to me.

Also find it funny that now your basically saying "well okay he locked up Giannis, but he didn't lock up their whole team, just look"...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We needed a 3-4 defender that can shoot. He does look slow footed recently, but he has always looked that way. We have two journeymen.

I think these are the key statements from your post. And his slow-footedness means he can't defend effectively, no matter how hard he tries, and unfortunately he can't shoot, either.

He does bring strength, smarts and experience, but what we needed more than anything else were talent and athletic ability, and he brings neither to the table.

What we have is a team full of smart, gritty hard working players who are going to be abused by more talented opponents (and there are a lot of them now).

James Jones's roster construction is reminding me frighteningly of when Kevin Towers and Kirk Gibson overemphasized "grit" in constructing the Diamondbacks roster. We all know how that worked out...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An upgrade over whom? Both Cam and Saric are better at the 4, and Bridges is better at the 3.

He's an upgrade in terms of depth. But I would still make Cam the starter most nights.

It's really sad this guy is the best we could do with our MLE.

Pretty much shows Paul does not have much juice.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's an upgrade in terms of depth. But I would still make Cam the starter most nights.

Not if you consider that we had Oubre instead last year.

We have upgraded slightly at point guard while downgrading everywhere else.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns add a potential starter at power forward who plays excellent defense, tough as nails and can shoot the 3-ball.

I'm good.

The tough as nails part is still accurate. Everything else is ancient history.