Free Agency 2020

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on DA. Taking the next step pretty much depends on him (and CP’s health).

yeah. DA SHOULD be able to easily create for himself and others in being able to draw double teams and kicking out, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Saric number doesn’t matter at all. We have his rights. It has no cap effect. We could give him 2/50 if we wanted. It’s just how much Sarver wants to pay in tax.
I can promise you this team is not going to break the tax threshold. Not a chance in hell Sarver could afford to do that (even if he wanted to).

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yeah. DA SHOULD be able to easily create for himself and others in being able to draw double teams and kicking out, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

DA is a very good passer. He will have MUCH MORE space to operate with Paul spacing as opposed to Ricky.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We probably will be able to keep Saric because he wants to be here, and I don't think other teams have much interest.

I just feel like this offseason is turning into a debacle. So far James Jones has thrown away 2 first round picks, and signed an inefficient player for above his market value.
Thrown away two picks? What are you talking about? When?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Negativity on the board today is way over the top!

How so. New Orleans has improved a ton. Dallas has improved. The Lakers have massively improved. Even Houston is improved if they can keep that team together.

We have signed Jae Crowder - a below average NBA player to a 10 million a year contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thrown away two picks? What are you talking about? When?

I am talking about the Pick we needlessly gave away in the Chris Paul trade - we were the only ones that would take his contract on and had no reason to give that up.

The second pick I am talking about is the 30th pick we should have gotten by trading down to 14 in the draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am talking about the Pick we needlessly gave away in the Chris Paul trade - we were the only ones that would take his contract on and had no reason to give that up.

The second pick I am talking about is the 30th pick we should have gotten by trading down to 14 in the draft.
Geez.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Dario has no room to improve unless he totally reworks his shot. Athletically he is extremely limited and relies on vet tricks and guile.
He is already a solid NBA player and doesn't need to make any sort of big improvements at this point. As to the athleticism part you are kind of proving my point that he won't be on the decline for quite a while because he doesn't rely on athleticism for his game to be effective.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say this, there’s still literally only two players on the entire team that can create for themselves and others. That’s problematic.

Kelly was a bit of a blackhole at times, but his ability to put his head down and get to the rim was needed at times especially with Booker on the bench.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Actually there are rumors that other teams were interested in Paul to include the Clippers and Bucks. So yes there apparently was competition to get him. We wanted to make sure we were the ones to pull it off so we met them with the draft pick. There was plenty of talk of them wanting even more than they got.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly was a bit of a blackhole at times, but his ability to put his head down and get to the rim was needed at times especially with Booker on the bench.

yup. Havent really filled that needed third guy who can create.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bridges is SG size, so he can cover some minutes there. Backup PG is the big problem.

But Bridges can't shoot or create, which is a major liability at SG. Meanwhile, we don't have a single back-up SF. And we STILL don't have a serviceable starting PF.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is making strides in both areas, and I expect he will be much improved in both this year.

But yes, we have to get a third scoring guard somehow, but things are looking bleak.
I saw zero improvement in this in the bubble. What I did see was a guy who finally learned to cut effectively and drive on close outs. I don’t recall him taking anyone off the dribble. And relying on him to do so is courting disaster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am sorry. Both are bad takes. You can believe it if you like.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Geez what?

We would have exactly the same team and 2 additional picks if we had a competent GM.
They were not doing that trade without us throwing in that pick. Have you noticed their entire aim this off-season? They don't even care about the players that we sent in the trade, but just had to be added to make salaries match. Their entire goal with that trade was to get another 1st round pick.

We also did a good job of protecting it and that gives us some insurance in case things go horribly wrong and we need to rely on that pick for a rebuild.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The 2022 pick is going to be in the 20s so how is that a big loss?

As for Jalen Smith, it seems like some people are ignoring the general consensus in this draft. There was very little separation between picks 4 and 25. So we picked a guy that we maybe could have gotten at 20. Or even 14. And people are crying that we could have had pick 30?? Come on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave