Free Agency 2020

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
With James Jones in charge, I am expecting the worst. So far that seems to predict the future pretty accurately.
Yeah I don't get this line of thinking. Same thing happened with Oubre last off season and everyone was freaking out and we ultimately got a deal done with him. See no reason it won't play out the same way with Saric.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s clear who here understands basketball context and who is too focused on box score stats.

Crowder makes this iteration of the Suns better than Kelly would.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this, there’s still literally only two players on the entire team that can create for themselves and others. That’s problematic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the key is that all the holes are plugged up
(1) spacing compromised by Rubio
(2) defensive limitations caused by Oubre/Dario

Now the spacing is compromised by Crowder/Saric/Bridges, and we have to deal with the defensive limitations of Crowder/Cam/Saric. How is that better?

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was thinking Suns might still need to sign Saric last as an over the cap thing to sign other players.
I don't think so as they have already been over the cap since the Paul trade. More likely, in similar fashion to last year with Oubre, they are are simply allowing him to test the market. Then when it is clear that he isn't getting a big payday they will work out a new contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get this line of thinking. Same thing happened with Oubre last off season and everyone was freaking out and we ultimately got a deal done with him. See no reason it won't play out the same way with Saric.

I'd like something more than a 2 year contract though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will say this, there’s still literally only two players on the entire team that can create for themselves and others. That’s problematic.

Cam Payne has a little bit in his bag. We need another creator to be safe.

Saric can also create a bit.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saric really anchored the Suns second unit. He is very important to bring back and he is young.

Yes, he had an excellent run in the bubbles, as the Suns did as well. Still, I'm not convinced.

About his age: he is a long-time pro, I think that we more or less already saw his ceilling, further significant improvement is unlikely. If he can be re-signed for a team-friendly deal (i.e about or rather even below MLE), it's OK, otherwise I would let him go without much hesitation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We probably will be able to keep Saric because he wants to be here, and I don't think other teams have much interest.

I just feel like this offseason is turning into a debacle. So far James Jones has thrown away 2 first round picks, and signed an inefficient player for above his market value.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t agree with this. Having watched the games he was scrapping and playing some hellacious D against superior players.

The key part being "superior players". As with Saric and Cam, I don't doubt that Crowder hustles and puts forth his all defensively. He has just lost about 3 steps, particularly laterally and in terms of leaping ability, and it shows.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think so as they have already been over the cap since the Paul trade. More likely, in similar fashion to last year with Oubre, they are are simply allowing him to test the market. Then when it is clear that he isn't getting a big payday they will work out a new contract.

Suns have Saric’s rights and go over the cap to retain him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes, he had an excellent run in the bubbles, as the Suns did as well. Still, I'm not convinced.

About his age: he is a long-time pro, I think that we more or less already saw his ceilling, further significant improvement is unlikely. If he can be re-signed for a team-friendly deal (i.e about or even below MLE), it's OK, otherwise I would let him go without much hesitation.
His play in the bubble isn't nearly the only good stretch of basketball in his career. He has been solid for pretty much his entire career and his age means we likely aren't going to see a decline within the next few years.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

About his age: he is a long-time pro, I think that we more or less already saw his ceilling, further significant improvement is unlikely. If he can be re-signed for a team-friendly deal (i.e about or rather even below MLE), it's OK, otherwise I would let him go without much hesitation.

IMO, the Suns need him for depth even if you think he over performed.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Saric number doesn’t matter at all. We have his rights. It has no cap effect. We could give him 2/50 if we wanted. It’s just how much Sarver wants to pay in tax.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The key part being "superior players". As with Saric and Cam, I don't doubt that Crowder hustles and puts forth his all defensively. He has just lost about 3 steps, particularly laterally and in terms of leaping ability, and it shows.
Superior players as in guys like Giannis who happens to be superior to virtually every player in the league.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Great pick-up by the Suns. Crowder doesn't have the versatility or passion that Oubre does, but he's a solid player who works hard.

Shaquille Harrison worked hard. So did Isaiah Canaan. So did Tariq Owens. At this point we need a lot better than just players who "work hard".