KK...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going for it on 2nd down was his only real questionable decision.

He didn't ice is own kicker. The 4th down call was fine, even though I would have taken the points. We are #1 in the league on 4th down conversions.

This is Monday morning QB'ing, at its finest.
Wel then you have to question Pete Carroll’s strategy. Up by 3 he went for it on 4th and goal in the 4th quarter.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The biggest thing KK should have to answer for is how we get the ball with 6 minutes, down 2 scores, and all time outs....and we somehow run a 12 play drive that takes over 1/2 the time off the clock, and were ready to settle for a FG if not for the leverage penalty on Seattle.

That is HORRIBLE game management. We should have been in a hurry up, and been trying to save every second for the 2nd drive we knew we needed.

When you then see us put together a FG drive...relying on the run....and doing it in like 55 seconds.....it makes you wonder why on earth we needed almost 4 minutes to move down the field into FG range the first time.

He is young and inexperienced, those plays calls were baffling to say the least.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is just fun to watch I don't care what you say they have a good vibe to them. Yeah there are things that bother me but they aren't the focus.

This is so true.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kliff, the good: players seem bought in. Even with rookie QB last year, improved a historically bad offense to middle of the pack. Has taken the next step this year. Some of that is personnel, but coaching as well. Flexible in approach -- who would have guessed when he was hired that his offense would lead the NFL in rushing.

Kliff, the bad: team still feels a little disorganized in substitutions, etc. Penalties are an issue still. The biggest: still finding his way to close out games / playcalling at that spot / some clock mgmt issues.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff, the good: players seem bought in. Even with rookie QB last year, improved a historically bad offense to middle of the pack. Has taken the next step this year. Some of that is personnel, but coaching as well. Flexible in approach -- who would have guessed when he was hired that his offense would lead the NFL in rushing.

Kliff, the bad: team still feels a little disorganized in substitutions, etc. Penalties are an issue still. The biggest: still finding his way to close out games / playcalling at that spot / some clock mgmt issues.
I feel like most of these are legitimate concerns.

1 - Penalties

2 - Substitutions - Mostly seen when we try to go fast, but then substitute which causes the refs to hold up the snap so the other team can substitute.

3 - Four minute offense at half and end of game - I feel like we are still looking for a signature strategy for these situations. Go to play concepts, formations, and personnel groupings in those circumstances. You don't want to be too defined and predictable but you also need to cut your call sheet significantly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like most of these are legitimate concerns.

1 - Penalties

2 - Substitutions - Mostly seen when we try to go fast, but then substitute which causes the refs to hold up the snap so the other team can substitute.

3 - Four minute offense at half and end of game - I feel like we are still looking for a signature strategy for these situations. Go to play concepts, formations, and personnel groupings in those circumstances. You don't want to be too defined and predictable but you also need to cut your call sheet significantly.
One thing that has been pissing me off about Kliff is his lack of pre-snap motions trying to catch the defense off guard. He called it a lot last year with much worse personnel, but has barely called it this year. Don’t understand it at all.

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
One thing that has been pissing me off about Kliff is his lack of pre-snap motions trying to catch the defense off guard. He called it a lot last year with much worse personnel, but has barely called it this year. Don’t understand it at all.

We have the top-ranked offense in the NFL, so I don't see how that can be much of a complaint. The penalties are personally my biggest issue.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oh...good one. I forgot about that. Drives me crazy as well. Leverage advantages are so big in the NFL, especially for teams trying to get the defense to move laterally instead of downhill.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
We have the top-ranked offense in the NFL, so I don't see how that can be much of a complaint. The penalties are personally my biggest issue.
Penalties are definitely the biggest problem. KK’s inconsistency in okay calling is #2 on my list.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The KK hate is unreal. I think KK and Murray are the two biggest reason the Cardinals are 6-3 right now.
Agree. KK does have room to grow but the guy designs some great plays and is a big part of why we often sustain drives every time we have the ball, which even Arians had a hard time doing when he was here. I like him.

I almost think that he’d be better off having a different coach consult on the penalty issues and have someone responsible for also watching the game clock with him for when he has brain farts

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. KK does have room to grow but the guy designs some great plays and is a big part of why we often sustain drives every time we have the ball, which even Arians had a hard time doing when he was here. I like him.

I almost think that he’d be better off having a different coach consult on the penalty issues and have someone responsible for also watching the game clock with him for when he has brain farts

I think the penalties are a byproduct of the team STILL having imperfect players for the system, basically players being asked to do things that they aren't particularly good at.

Maybe I'm wrong on it, but so many other things work well with this team. Kingsbury's Cardinals offense runs better than any other Cardinals offense of this era. There are things I'd like to see them implement, like adding more motion to the offense like @DVontel stated, but I'm a big believer in metrics being proof enough.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Penalties are definitely the biggest problem. KK’s inconsistency in okay calling is #2 on my list.

I just can't wrap my head around the consternation over KK's playcalling. Even the best playcallers have games that they lose because of a myriad of factors.

I'm obviously a big Murray fan, but the kid is both a blessing and a detriment to KK's playcalling. You can find entire games where KK schemed up NUMEROUS open receivers that Murray missed. BUT. BUT....Murray also gets the team out of multiple jams a game with his running ability. That's why I think if you threw a big pocket passer in Kliff's offense, the results would be fairly similar, but the methods to those results would look different (i.e. a lot more passing yards, but quite a few less rushing yards).

I give Kliff a lot of credit for basically changing big chunks of his offense to fit the personnel and character of this team. THE CARDINALS ARE THE #1 RUSHING OFFENSE IN THE NFL!!!! Kliff has been helped a lot by Kugler, but he calls the plays and they work fairly well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get this negative BS out of here

Murray is legit and KK is the real deal
Agree (in part).

KK is inexperienced and creative. By its very nature, this means he'll mix in bonehead play-calling with an assortment of "wow" calls.

This makes it very easy for pundits and fans to single out the occasional bad play for criticism.

Fortunately, Kliff seems to be a smart guy who learns from his mistakes and should "mellow with age." (Hope it's also true for #1).

Conclusion - Call 'em as you see 'em but cut them some slack.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree (in part).

KK is inexperienced and creative. By its very nature, this means he'll mix in bonehead play-calling with an assortment of "wow" calls.

This makes it very easy for pundits and fans to single out the occasional bad play for criticism.

Fortunately, Kliff seems to be a smart guy who learns from his mistakes and should "mellow with age." (Hope it's also true for #1).

Conclusion - Call 'em as you see 'em but cut them some slack.

this is by far the most important thing. This dude is in his second year as a head coach in the NFL. He’s going to make mistakes and that’s fine as long and he learns from them.

go back and look at Pete Carroll’s or BB first crack at being a head coach. Not so great.

hey you got the number 1 offense in football, an MVP candidate at QB and score like 30 every game and it’s still not good enough for guys here.

just two years ago we struggled to even score lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose