The Zane Gonzalez Dilemma

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every time Zane misses a kick (which isn't that often) the Zane sucks trolls come out. Zane is a top 15 kicker int he league. In a league short of kickers.

Yes he should have put the 49 yarder away, but then we shouldn't have been kicking from 49 to tie the game in the first place.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every time Zane misses a kick (which isn't that often) the Zane sucks trolls come out. Zane is a top 15 kicker int he league. In a league short of kickers.

Yes he should have put the 49 yarder away, but then we shouldn't have been kicking from 49 to tie the game in the first place.

You can be a 99% kicker, but when you miss key FGs it’s an issue. Maybe he hasn’t got the mental attributes when the game is on the line?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can be a 99% kicker, but when you miss key FGs it’s an issue. Maybe he hasn’t got the mental attributes when the game is on the line?

But he doesn't. He kicked the crucial tie kick vs Seahawks. Then kicked the winner only to have to rekick and miss, then kicked the actual winner.

He kicked the winner vs Bengals last year.

That kick was the only clutch kick he has missed that meant anything since he has been here. I'm going to give him a tie on the one he missed last week seeing as he originally made it, and made 2 others.

He was 8th in the league in FG % last year. Granted, he is down this year at 25 but thats because our RZ offense has been so good and most of his kicks have been 40+.

He has some room to get better, but he's not as bad as fans go on about. He's the best we have had in a while, put it that way.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude sucks. I'd love to get a good kicker that I don't have to worry about hitting an extra point.

Doesn't suck totally but sucks enough for a team like the Cardinals that can't win a easy one and has to rely on his kicks

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Absofreakinglutely

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He should have never been in that situation. And when are 49 yard fgs automatic??? He had probably 55% chance of making it. You throw a 35 yard bomb. You keep throwing. They couldnt guard Hop at all. It makes no sense. He did the same thing at Seattle. When is a 47-50 yard fg easy. I don’t get Kliffs thought process. Back in the day when we were use to losing. I get it. But we could have gained 20 more yards easy and taken more time off the clock.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just once it would be awesome to have a kicker I had confidence when he stepped on to the field for an important kick.
We did in the 90s with chris jackie hitting the clutch fg vs chargers and previous gms lol

But yea cards need a new kicker next yr

No way zane should have missed that kick i bet cards would have won in ot!!!! Well who knows tua was killing the def

I'm still very very sad today

Leasy cards have a franchise qb.... and nuk

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For realzies. I hope Kyler took a page from Tua's book last night to show that a small guy like that can QB sneak for 2 inches when necessary.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is as others have said making clutch kicks is what separates kickers in the NFL. The reason Zane got cut in Cleveland was he missed several clutch kicks and then missed 2 FG's and 2 XP's in a loss to the Saints.

He's MUCH better now but I have to admit I am leery. I doubt there's anybody clearly better out there right now. But you can't come up short there, left or right ok I can take that, but short on a 49 yarder to tie the game?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last 2 seasons

42-50 84% long of 56
51-53 96.2% on XP

For comparison Harrison Butker for KC is also 25 years old and considered one of the better kickers in the nfl:

49-55 89% long of 58
72-81 88.9% on XP

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Quite pointing out reality everyone keeps thinking Zane is the same kicker he was in Cleveland. Lol.

Whether it’s Rackers, Feeley etc & you miss a GW kick you’re a bum. Zane is way down the list of Cardinals problems imo
Last 2 seasons

42-50 84% long of 56
51-53 96.2% on XP

For comparison Harrison Butker for KC is also 25 years old and considered one of the better kickers in the nfl:

49-55 89% long of 58
72-81 88.9% on XP

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite pointing out reality everyone keeps thinking Zane is the same kicker he was in Cleveland. Lol.

Whether it’s Rackers, Feeley etc & you miss a GW kick you’re a bum. Zane is way down the list of Cardinals problems imo

when you miss an easy FG to win last week and then somehow come up SHORT on a 49 yard FG to tie the next week, you may not be THE problem, but you’re one of them.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
when you miss an easy FG to win last week and then somehow come up SHORT on a 49 yard FG to tie the next week, you may not be THE problem, but you’re one of them.

He nailed the kick until KK called TO. Then redeemed himself on a longer kick from the hash mark he doesn’t like after nailing the game tying FG in the same game. The problem I mentioned is the head coach calling TO. Let’s not act like he’s missed every game tying or game winning kick when in reality he hasn’t. If you think he’s going to miss a kick then it’s on you setting yourself up to not be disappointed when in reality he makes 90% of all his kicks in AZ.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He nailed the kick until KK called TO. Then redeemed himself on a longer kick from the hash mark he doesn’t like after nailing the game tying FG in the same game. The problem I mentioned is the head coach calling TO. Let’s not act like he’s missed every game tying or game winning kick when in reality he hasn’t. If you think he’s going to miss a kick then it’s on you setting yourself up to not be disappointed when in reality he makes 90% of all his kicks in AZ.
The TO doesn't excuse him for missing the next attempt. It was still only like a 42 yard FG from the hash he prefers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last 2 seasons

42-50 84% long of 56
51-53 96.2% on XP

49-55 89% long of 58
72-81 88.9% on XP

Zane's team has won 10 games in that time, he's not until this year had to kick in situations that determine games and have playoff implications.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zane's team has won 10 games in that time, he's not until this year had to kick in situations that determine games and have playoff implications.
He made a game winner last year and made a game winner this year. 2 years 2 game winners

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The TO doesn't excuse him for missing the next attempt. It was still only like a 42 yard FG from the hash he prefers.
You’re right it doesn’t, but that shouldn’t excuse the coach for kneeling in the ball and taking his foot off the gas then call his FG team on late forcing his kicker to make the same FG twice. Then doubling down going extremely conservative trying to tie, not win, but tie vs Miami setting up for a 49 yard FG. By no means a chip shot. 41 yards isn’t a chip shot either. Look at all the missed PATs. That’s only from 33. It happens and to expect him to be perfect all the time is ridiculous.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

From 40-49 yards Zane is 61% for his career. That’s a joke for an NFL kicker.

Under 40 yards he’s 93%. If we’re keeping him we gotta be aggressive until he’s in chip shot range.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lots of kickers get iced and then make the second kick. The only reason he got a chance at the second kick was because the D made a play. He doesn’t get points for that.

And I’m not acting like he’s missing kicks every play. But as the pressure has been on the last two games, as this team finally has something riding on games for the playoffs, he’s failed in both games. And in clutch situations before that when there wasn’t as much on the line, he’s been shaky there also.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Zane is a problem but I think we are stuck with him this year. It could be worse.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Zane is probably another bad game from getting his real estate license. Nugent is on the practice squad for a reason

Glad that it is more than me seeing this problem. Could cost us a playoff berth