Cardinals’ D.J. Humphries believes he’s become one of league’s top tackles

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Translation: Pay me!:)

Uh huh.

0 Pro Bowls.
Most false starts in the league at his position.
Finished the season healthy once in 5 years.

About to be one of the highest paid tackles in the league. Probably top 5.

Nuts...... but inevitable.

This is why you franchise him and see if he can manage it for more than 5 seconds in the league, relatively speaking.

Funny how some people who complain about Keim signing oft-injured olineman want to give the oft-injured DJ a long term contract.

Dude has to prove he can stay healthy.

Franchise him.

The LT price tag isn't going to go up enough in one year to justify the risk on 14m vs 30+mil, an injured LT, and lots of wasted cap space.

Exactly. I'm in the franchise him camp. I wasn't before the season, because, at that time, it would have been INSANELY stupid. Still, he's finally shown in 1 season, anyway, that he can kind of do it, sans the problems listed above. Definitely not worth a long-term contract yet, but you can't in good conscience let him walk under the circumstances.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But if he’s saying he’s top three he ain’t accepting $6M/year for 5 years.
Of course not, but the premise for the guarantee on the deal is 2 years of franchise tags.

The real deal would be 4 or 5 years, $65-75 million, with $30-35 million guaranteed.

You could balance guaranteed salary and bonus to spread the impact out. Humphries would likely want 4 years so he could get another contract before he’s 30.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agreed. tag him and bag him for a year. make him prove this year wasn't a fluke. if he's still producing and healthy next season, negotiate the long-term deal at mid-season.

I agree but I don't see DJ negotiating during the season. He is one of those "once the season starts..." guys I believe.

Given a new CBA in 2021 will players be compelled to hold off on long term deals until then?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hump evidently improved since last year.

So why am I uncomfortable about an OT for a 3-win team crowning himself a pro bowler?

Seems like he's good for at least 2 penalties a game.

He may be our best option for next year and improved his game a little, but he's still has a ways to go...and that's not a lock.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Anyone else here smell Beanie 2.0’s contract coming back to life

player wants a new deal and works hard and gets said contract...now money in hand back to relaxing

You do not pay DJ as a top tackle
You offer him a great deal that’s production rated
Produce big get paid big
Produce like you have in the past and you get low pay

It’ll be interesting to see how Keim does this one

added note: DJ while he’s been solid at pass pro has been horrible at run blocking...even notice HE doesn’t talk about the run game.

He IS replaceable

The Cardinals have had one top notch Left Tackle in the last 15 years (Jared Veldheer). Protect Kyler Murray’s blind side at all costs.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree
But paying a guy a ton of money who can’t run block and has came through ONLY on his contract year is riskier than a one night stand in Tijuana

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Let's not forget about his track record:

At Florida:
2012 - Played all 12 games as Freshman
2013 - Played in 7 games and missed the remainder of season with knee injury
2014 - Played in 10 games but missed 2 due to injury

Arizona:
2015 - Inactive for all 16 games and got the nickname "knee deep" from BA (lack of work ethic?)
2016 - Played in 13 of 16 games (suffered concussion vs Miami)
2017 - Played in 5 of 16 games due to two injuries (MCL and dislocated knee cap)
2018 - Played 9 out of 16 games due to knee injury

This is the guy you are going to give top 5 LT money and 30-35m in guarantees?

Oh...and when healthy, he is average at best.

Make the dude do it again in 2020.

I would rather trade him for Trent Williams or a 1st round pick (if anyone would be desperate enough) and draft Thomas.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree
But paying a guy a ton of money who can’t run block and has came through ONLY on his contract year is riskier than a one night stand in Tijuana

I do not agree with DJ not being able to run block... since a majority of all our big runs seem to be his side, and have no idea where this belief that he cannot run block comes from when it was his consistency to be on the field and his pass blocking

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hump is demanding respect be put into his name

Very impressed with how he and the rest of these big guys have played up front.

This is how you develop a young qb. through a strong online

Honorary Mention to Coach Kugler, he has worked like a magician in coaching this unit up

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Humphries is becoming a top tackle. This is why you pay your young homegrown talent.

Yes sir... if we let him walk and he was doing this performance for another team, Keim would be ripped to shreds. Kyler is one of the least pressured QBs in the NFL and when is the last time any of us had to worry about him taking a blind side hit?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I will step out front on this one as one of DJ's harshest critics.

This information is surprising. I haven't watched him specifically since he looked horrible in SF game. I have a hard time believing he has improved this significantly but happy to admit I was dead wrong if this is true and continues.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This information is surprising. I haven't watched him specifically since he looked horrible in SF game. I have a hard time believing he has improved this significantly but happy to admit I was dead wrong if this is true and continues.

same!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He looked horrible in the SF game? Oh the game he shut down Nick Bosa

dude these guys kill me. Yeah he looked horrible...no he did not. I don’t think you know what a horrible LT looks like if you think that was it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ditto

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looked horrible in the SF game? Oh the game he shut down Nick Bosa

dude these guys kill me. Yeah he looked horrible...no he did not. I don’t think you know what a horrible LT looks like if you think that was it.
He tends to take plays off IMO..this followed him early in his career and showed up a bit in the 49er game a few times. If he is laser focused, which he seems to be now the past few weeks, then he is a stud.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes sir... if we let him walk and he was doing this performance for another team, Keim would be ripped to shreds. Kyler is one of the least pressured QBs in the NFL and when is the last time any of us had to worry about him taking a blind side hit?

And some wanted to sign Beachum to replace him...

Heh Beachum has been solid at RT, but he couldn't do what Hump is doing.