The AZ Defense

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got a kick out of Fox raving about the AZ defense. Let’s look closer.
Week 1 QB injured
Week 2 QB since benched
Week 3 Lost
Week 4 Lost
Week 5 Starting QB out
Week 6 Starting QB out

Sure injuries are part of the game but let’s not lose sight that the Cards haven’t beaten a healthy, still starting QB. Today will be a better test.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I too get a kick out of networks actually talking positive about the Cardinals. As for a test, sure every week is a test even for undefeated teams.

Our board could pick the feathers off an in flight hummingbird...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a kick out of Fox raving about the AZ defense. Let’s look closer.
Week 1 QB injured
Week 2 QB since benched
Week 3 Lost
Week 4 Lost
Week 5 Starting QB out
Week 6 Starting QB out

Sure injuries are part of the game but let’s not lose sight that the Cards haven’t beaten a healthy, still starting QB. Today will be a better test.
Harry this is valid input.

Today will be a better test for the D.

VJ could get exposed today as he is a weak DC IMO.

Players out of position and poor adjustments.

Last edited:

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
In the words of Bill Purcell, you are what your record says you are. So with 4 wins and 2 losses, the Cardinals are a pretty good football team...not great, but pretty good. Certainly, some credit has to go to the defense, which statistically has also been "pretty good."

Also, I believe Garappolo was not injured in the game against us. I think he hurt his ankle in the next game. The 49er's were missing Debo Samuel, and Kittle hurt his knee during the game, but came back and played in the second half.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah we’re top 5 in a few defensive categories but I don’t buy it.

this seems like a 8-17 ranked unit. Would be surprised if we finish top 10 but it’s possible.

details aside, this defense is good enough for the Cardinals to be dangerous

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Playing against the guy, who is a candidate for NFL MVP is a better test. As my youngest granddaughter would say, "Thank you Capt. Obvious". :)

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
No one gave us sympathy when we went into the playoffs with our 3rd string qb. Or when we lost our entire starting 5 on thr oline.

Or a few weeks ago when we had to sign people off the street to play safety

Injuries are part of the game. We are 4 and 2 and our defense is playing well. We are going against probably the mvp qb this year tonight. So let's control the clock and shut him down.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No one gave us sympathy when we went into the playoffs with our 3rd string qb. Or when we lost our entire starting 5 on thr oline.

Or a few weeks ago when we had to sign people off the street to play safety

Injuries are part of the game. We are 4 and 2 and our defense is playing well. We are going against probably the mvp qb this year tonight. So let's control the clock and shut him down.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I disagree, this offense is built to move quick to be successful and the defense is going to have to do their job

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After this game we will know much more about our D.

Many of us didn't like our D against Panthers or Lions, we will see which D comes out of the gates and which O.

If both plays up to potential, this will be a nice game

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of these games are tests that mean anything other than message board opinions. We could shut them out tonight and there will be people saying Vance Joseph sucks but got lucky to catch Wilson on a bad day.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What happened to you this year? Does every single thread you put up these days need to be a “wait guys, the cardinals suck. Here’s why” thread? Every three days there’s a new one lol.
I started out calling them a playoff contender. I believe I was wrong but 2020 will go down as the weirdest year in pro sports. I think the team is better this year. The O-line is providing good pass protection. Hopkins is as advertised. I’ve called Murray the best running QB in the league. They’ve added some good personnel on D. However I no longer think they’re a likely playoff contender though the standings are a mess.

That said too many thought the win against the boys was a big deal. I think today proved it wasn’t. They haven’t played a strong offense, except maybe Carolina that lost today. So calling them a strong defense has not yet been proved. I just call them as I see them and show up when I’m wrong.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
What happened to you this year? Does every single thread you put up these days need to be a “wait guys, the cardinals suck. Here’s why” thread? Every three days there’s a new one lol.
They do suck, though.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well at first glance it appears he was dead on… Seattle has almost 400 yards of offense in the first freaking half if they keep this up it will obliterate the NFL record… Sometimes Harry just knows what he’s talking about...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well at first glance it appears he was dead on… Seattle has almost 400 yards of offense in the first freaking half if they keep this up it will obliterate the NFL record… Sometimes Harry just knows what he’s talking about...
I was never debating that. Everyone who has eye balls knows our D is trash. My point was why keep making threads just to point out the obvious flaws? It’s like saying “yeah, we won last week but our TE’s suck and we’ve never won a SB”. No kidding. What was the point of bringing it up though?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I was never debating that. Everyone who has eye balls knows our D is trash. My point was why keep making threads just to point out the obvious flaws? It’s like saying “yeah, we won last week but our TE’s suck and we’ve never won a SB”. No kidding. What was the point of bringing it up though?
Wilson is having his best year and been making most D's look very ordinary even with shabby OL play last few seasons. He's been the difference for that franchise. Maybe the league MVP this season. He's due for it.
Minus C. Jones were just looking to compete vs. the better QB's. Even with him we've been fairly average the last few years, outside the 2018 debacle where everything just sucked.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gardeck is better then Fitts
Fitzpatrick should be replaced
Simmons need to play 70%of the snaps at this point
Hicks is one of the worse ILB this year