Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't go out and read and study all these players and teams. I mostly only read about them on this site, and then maybe read an outside article every once in a awhile. As I recall (I am getting somewhat forgetful in my old age), most everybody on here thought he was the one to draft when our time came (with a couple of exceptions, I know). I haven't changed my mind,.... yet :>|. Put him out there and let him sink or swim.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Simmons can and as I wrote after the game, play safety. However, I don’t rule out using him at any LB spot. He was so effective in college because he could do different things against different offensive sets & opponents’ strength. There’s more room for error at safety as long as you know who’s your responsibility on passing plays.

That's the million dollar question "How much safety in VJ defense does Simmons know?" It sounds like Simmons has been only learning the ILB position to keep it easy on the rookie. How quickly can Simmons pick up a new position and responsibilities?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's the million dollar question "How much safety in VJ defense does Simmons know?" It sounds like Simmons has been only learning the ILB position to keep it easy on the rookie. How quickly can Simmons pick up a new position and responsibilities?

He he plays SS he's not learning a new position. He's played 1000s of snaps there including all his junior and sophomore seasons. At least he has the natural instincts to build on.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first “ misstep” Simmons makes will result I a big play and we’ll have to read about another wasted draft pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the injuries, what is the harm putting Simmons back as a safety? At least he knows the verbiage. Bringing someone in now seems more of a risk.

There is potentially a lot of harm. Safeties are the last line of defense - if they miss you give up touchdowns.

This is what people don't seem to understand about budda's value, he is as sure an open field tackler as their is, and he has saved us many td's that might otherwise have happened.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the injuries, what is the harm putting Simmons back as a safety? At least he knows the verbiage. Bringing someone in now seems more of a risk.

Especially when that someone is TJ Ward who hasn't played since 2017

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first “ misstep” Simmons makes will result I a big play and we’ll have to read about another wasted draft pick.

I don't think so man, well not from most anyway.

Murphy for example was awful last year (still is) but most people are gave him a break with it being his 1st year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so man, well not from most anyway.

Murphy for example was awful last year (still is) but most people are gave him a break with it being his 1st year.

I think that’s because for the first 3 or 4 games of the season Murphy was a nice surprise before he fell off a cliff. That first quarter of the season bought him the middle before people started to really bang on him toward the end.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that’s because for the first 3 or 4 games of the season Murphy was a nice surprise before he fell off a cliff. That first quarter of the season bought him the middle before people started to really bang on him toward the end.

At the end of the day, we don't know if we don't try.

Our defense, even fully healthy, isn't good enough to keep out the #8 pick in the draft. The Ravens are playing Queen, he's playing 70% of snaps and has a PFF Grade of 30, the same as Simmons. But they are still playing him because he's not going to improve sat on his ass. And their defense is massively better than ours. Even pick #98 Malik Harrison is getting 20%+ snaps for the Ravens (54 grade).

The Chargers are players Kenneth Murray. He's racking up 80% of snaps with a 44.2 grade. They also have a much better D than we do but he's still playing.

3rd round pick Logan Wilson is getting 30%+ snaps for the Bungals with a 44 grade.

None of the rookie linebackers are playing well, it's a really tough position in the NFL, but if they don't play they don't get better.

Give me 1 game rep over 10 practice reps. Even Byron Murphy looks good in practice (apparently).

On Sunday we had 5th round pick and 4th on the depth chart safety Deionte Thompson covering Hockenson. That's just wrong when you have Simmons there.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. And suddenly throwing him in at safety could result in a big play. I’d feel better if I knew he was practicing safety during camp.
This is where you can tell that whatever the plan was for Simmons was not a good plan. It seems like it was have Simmons sit until he can play ILB better than our #1 target in FA Devondre Campbell which was a no-win scenario. Either we would look stupid because our #1 target in FA was crap OR our #1 pick in FA justifies that designation and Simmons can't contribute.

The creative answer and plan would have been, what role can Simmons have where he can play along the best players we have on defense and start with that. He could build from that role into learning those other roles which he would be able to fill when the opportunity arose.

If i recall. many people on the board said it, but I will reiterate it. Our top 11 defensive personnel heading into the season was...

Corey Peters
Jordan Phillips
Chandler Jones
Jordan Hicks
Devondre Campbell
Budda Baker
Jalen Thompson
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy
Isaiah Simmons
Devon Kennard

...how on earth this wasn't the starting point of "what role can Simmons have as a rookie and still let us play our best players" is beyond me.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is where you can tell that whatever the plan was for Simmons was not a good plan. It seems like it was have Simmons sit until he can play ILB better than our #1 target in FA Devondre Campbell which was a no-win scenario. Either we would look stupid because our #1 target in FA was crap OR our #1 pick in FA justifies that designation and Simmons can't contribute.

The creative answer and plan would have been, what role can Simmons have where he can play along the best players we have on defense and start with that. He could build from that role into learning those other roles which he would be able to fill when the opportunity arose.

If i recall. many people on the board said it, but I will reiterate it. Our top 11 defensive personnel heading into the season was...

Corey Peters
Jordan Phillips
Chandler Jones
Jordan Hicks
Devondre Campbell
Budda Baker
Jalen Thompson
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy
Isaiah Simmons
Devon Kennard

...how on earth this wasn't the starting point of "what role can Simmons have as a rookie and still let us play our best players" is beyond me.

Whatever the plan was its not a good one when guys like Riley, Banjo and D.Thompson are getting snaps ahead of him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Corey Peters
Jordan Phillips
Chandler Jones
Jordan Hicks
Devondre Campbell
Budda Baker
Jalen Thompson
Patrick Peterson
Byron Murphy
Isaiah Simmons
Devon Kennard

Play your best players...that just might be crazy enough to work!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Play your best players...that just might be crazy enough to work!
Play your best players as much as possible, adjust your scheme to your personnel, and put players in positions to be successful (where their strengths are highlighted). Pretty universal truths for good coaches.

a bonus one is: a simpler scheme that causes players to play fast is better than a complex scheme which causes players to play slow.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which Cardinal team has gone the most games starting the season w/o an Int?
I do not but 10 games without an interception is the NFL record according to a reddit.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play your best players as much as possible, adjust your scheme to your personnel, and put players in positions to be successful (where their strengths are highlighted). Pretty universal truths for good coaches.

a bonus one is: a simpler scheme that causes players to play fast is better than a complex scheme which causes players to play slow.
This all day

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know this, plugging in Simmons at safety for the moment is not going to destroy his career as a LB, hell he was plugged into positions all over the place at Clemson... especially after what he did in college, you got to give him some credit of learning a system from multiple perspectives

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vance seems to be giving him roles where he has to run a bunch of if/or scenarios. Such as if RB leaks out then A if not then go to B. If not B then C. Rather than just let him play and give him simple tasks to start.

Such as cover a tight end on X and 10. Or safety blitz on 3rd down. And so on.
Do you actually have a source for any of this, or are you pulling a Mitch (TM)?

...dbs