Do you think Kyler is good at going through progressions and sees the field well?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm impressed with his start but it seems like most of the time he goes with his first receiver or dumps it off to his backup receiver, if that's not there he just scrambles. I don't really see him checking off receivers much. It may be due to his oline not giving him a lot of time (especially his left tackle) I know some QB's never have that talent though. Do you any of you see this as well?

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He missed some reads but it's impossible to tell without the all 22

but it seems like most of the time he goes with his first receiver or dumps it off to his backup receiver

If a qb has to make 4 reads every play that means your wrs are trash.

Im very happy with the fact he can usually make the right decision with the first couple of reads.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He missed some reads but it's impossible to tell without the all 22

If a qb has to make 4 reads every play that means your wrs are trash.

Im very happy with the fact he can usually make the right decision with the first couple of reads.
You also don't always have enough time to get to reads 3 or 4 before the pass rush gets through. The ball should typically be out after your 2nd read and occasionally your 3rd read. With his running ability though it can be somewhat understandable that he will just take off if he sees a lane open.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Films shows he's not all the way there yet.

What I posted in another thread

I wonder if they punished him for running when he had Hopkins open downfield? at 2:32
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And also we have to realize (even if I'm no PFF fan) our offense isnt designed to excel in PFF.

We throw lots of short passes and then throw deep (which can be hit or miss). Kyler doesnt really throw those tight window piercing the defense throws yet. He can do it, but we dont do that consistently on our offense.

Not sure about that rushing grade though.

Also at 3:02 he takes the easier/open throw to Fitz.

However, Dan has a step on Collins. If Kyler throws it over Dan's right shoulder/away from the safety its a TD.

I think he'll start attempting those type of throws in times as he gets comfortable. Now...just take the 1st down plays.

He obviously underthrew Andy. However, if not for that safety having 4.35 speed...It probably still would have went for a TD. Great recover. If thats Collins then Andy gets it and was still running.

Now to be fair this is a momentum/rhythm offense. You try to avoid the 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10. Just get yards.

As some have stated Kyler needs to work on throwing on the run.

I watched every snap in college and he didnt really do it that much. Its something you hope the coaching staff can work with him on.

I think the good thing is he looks fast and not just fast for a QB like last year. Fast like the fastest guy on the field.

The DLine is starting to slow down.

Now he's just gotta be a tad bit more patient when bailing and keep his eyes up. Cause there are wrs down the field.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um. Our offensive line is still not that good. To go through all the progressions requires time. Also, no need to go through progressions if the first or second one is open. Kyler is doing just fine. He is now a top five qb.

Why pass to Izzy when Hop is wide open?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And Hump can take a break from being on an island against Nick Bosa and Chase Young. He'll get you your 2-3 seconds, but you have to use them. KM's height challenge may be the only hindrance to seeing all his receivers, but he seems to make due just fine.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
The first two games we've been up against some top defensive lines. He has a little more time than last year, but not much. If he struggles with progressions in some of the upcoming games, that'll be different, but for right now I'm not concerned.
This is on point. I'm sure the game plan was ti disarm thr 9ers and wash dlines. And it worked.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kyler is light years ahead of other young QBs by how he's able to go through his progressions (by the way, watching the television game perspective is not a good way to discern where he's looking and when you see it from the defensive side, he's constantly looking off and making his reads)... people tend to want to stereotype him because he's 'a running QB'

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His TD to Hopkins was his second read.

He is slowly progressing through that.
this is exactly right. I rewatched the film. He was seeing the field just fine, and working through the progressions when the first option wasn't open. If he works through all the progressions on every pass, there is something wrong with the receivers.

Also, the run option should be there at all times with Kyler. It should not be the last option of his progressions. It should be his FIRST option if it is open. This makes him more dangerous as a passer.

By the way, Greenburg today called Kyler "Barry Sanders with an arm." I think its a bit over the top, but a fun comparison.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kyler is light years ahead of other young QBs by how he's able to go through his progressions (by the way, watching the television game perspective is not a good way to discern where he's looking and when you see it from the defensive side, he's constantly looking off and making his reads)... people tend to want to stereotype him because he's 'a running QB'
I was watching the Washington Football QB and he was lucky to make his first read. I am so glad we have Murray!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was watching the Washington Football QB and he was lucky to make his first read. I am so glad we have Murray!

Dwayne Trashcans is the Rodney Peete's long lost son.

There was a certain poster who thought THAT GUY was better than Murray.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are asking him to go to his 3rd or 4th option he is probably getting sacked.

Many times a qb makes his first read before the ball is even snapped. If that gets taken away he goes to his 2nd option. If that isn’t there, Run Kyler Run!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No. Maybe it's a byproduct of the last two games being against strong defensive fronts, but he's still largely a one read and go QB. Both picks he's thrown he's had open receivers and cleaner lanes.

He has to improve in this category to get into the next-level conversation

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No. Maybe it's a byproduct of the last two games being against strong defensive fronts, but he's still largely a one read and go QB. Both picks he's thrown he's had open receivers and cleaner lanes.

What is the next level conversation? Elite?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree with the first part. However, ints werent so bad.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At 4:52
3rd and 2 at the start of the 2nd half. Play is designed to Edmunds.
He gets in motion and the LB follows him.

However, its dependent on cutting Chase Young down.

He's not instead Kyler forces a pass and the LB breaks it up as well.

However, even though Edmunds is the first read. The pre-snap read shows that Hopkins has space on the opposite side. Could have easily got the first down as he was open on the slant.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose