Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You left out the $20 million in salary space that Mainstreet also mentioned.

My response was only with respect to the stated prospect of keeping the team the same and just adding the #10 pick.

In my opinion, it's going to take more than that for Booker not to set his sights elsewhere, be it Minnesota or LA.

Management is going to have to show commitment to building a championship contender around Booker, which means more improvement than just the #10 pick will provide.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me say, this is a fun discussion.

I'm not set on making a trade unless the right trade comes along which significantly improves the team.

Oubre's stats have improved each season so maybe they keep improving as well as Bridges and Johnson. We don't know the ceiling of all three players.

So unless a trade comes along that knocks the socks off (or unless the Suns draft a similar player) I keep all three.

The Suns can draft a player and fill in other needs through available salary space. They have about $20 million if Sarver uses it.

Also another thing to consider, the Suns will have $15 million to use the following season if they decide not to keep Oubre when his contract expires. Or if Oubre plays beyond expectations (or someone under performs), the Suns have a chance to keep him.

You need to take cap holds into consideration, mainly Carter and Saric's. That brings space down to about 8 million, which means they would be better using the Mid Level Exception to chase free agents. The MLE is approx 9.5 million and can be split up. They could have that available while retaining Baynes or Frank also. So unless you think they let Saric, Baynes, Carter, and Kaminsky all walk then you should plan on the $9.5 MLE for free agency, and the $3.5 bi-annual exception.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to take cap holds into consideration, mainly Carter and Saric's. That brings space down to about 8 million, which means they would be better using the Mid Level Exception to chase free agents. The MLE is approx 9.5 million and can be split up. They could have that available while retaining Baynes or Frank also. So unless you think they let Saric, Baynes, Carter, and Kaminsky all walk then you should plan on the $9.5 MLE for free agency, and the $3.5 bi-annual exception.

I'm hoping to keep Saric and I want to keep Carter but I'm inclined to let Baynes and Kaminsky walk.

So I guess the Suns would use the MLE and bi-annual exception.

Where does the money come from for the 10th pick?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your ok going in to the season with the same team and just a rookie at 10?

I'd like to keep Saric, add depth at the 4/5, a third point guard and add the 10th pick.

If the right trade comes along, I'd definitely consider it. I'm not opposed to a trade.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
And what would you like to do with that
Depends on if we make any trades and who we take in the draft. If we hold on to Oubre and don’t trade him for a PF, I personally would like to see us go hard after Serge Ibaka in free agency. I would also like to see us acquire a veteran combo guard scorer off the bench, and a bruiser front court player (2nd/3rd string PF/C). I’m not against trading Oubre and/or our #10 pick, but if we do, and even more so if we combine them together, it needs to be for a top long term piece at the PF position. And to bring everything full circle, I would be against giving up our 2 most viable trade assets for a backup point guard on an expiring contract. Maybe, and that’s a big maybe, I could see trading one of those assets for a Schroder, but not both.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fans really over value there own players. Oubre is pretty much an energy guy that doesn’t really shoot well or shoot the 3 well and is an average defender? He’s really not that good.
No, this has nothing to do with the value placed on our guys. It is about Schroeder. I have no interest in him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I see we will need PF and a B/U Center at minimum. Maybe Saric comes back as part of that equation. I don't see Baynes coming back, his dedcision. I think Kaminsky wants to, but we may not bring him back as our decision.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see we will need PF and a B/U Center at minimum. Maybe Saric comes back as part of that equation. I don't see Baynes coming back, his dedcision. I think Kaminsky wants to, but we may not bring him back as our decision.

I think we still need a PF even if Saric comes back, as Saric would play back-up 4/5. He is still not good or athletic enough to start.

Again, in my opinion, offseason priorities have to be the following, in order:

1. Starting Power Forward
2. Back-up Scoring Shooting Guard or Combo Guard
3. Back-up Center

The only one of those three that Saric MIGHT fill is #3, in which case we would still need a banging #3 center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HoopsHype polled NBA executives who selected Devin Booker as the third best player under 25 they would build a team around. Luka was number one and Jayson Tatum was number two.

By Michael Scotto | September 21, 2020:

Booker was the hottest player in the league during the seeding games in the bubble leading the Suns to an 8-0 record while averaging 30.5 points on 50.3 percent shooting, 6.0 assists and 4.9 rebounds per game.

The first-time All-Star showed his durability by playing the second-most minutes in the league (2,512) while getting to the line for the third-most free throws (468).

The 6-foot-5 guard can become one of the league’s top players if he works on the other end of the court, according to the executives and scouts polled.

“He’s more of a pure scorer and shooter, but he doesn’t defend much,” as one executive noted.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-execs-poll-luka-doncic-top-young-talent-zion-williamson/

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see Book get some more recognition. I know he doesn't own much but I think Fitz being part of the ownership group now could help us with retaining Booker because Fitz has Sarver's ear and should be telling him how lucky the franchise is to have Devin. You don't stumble onto franchise players often, especially late in the lotto and when you do you need you to go all out to keep them. He's happy, keep him happy. If things get bad for the ownership group then they can always sell for a big profit, even with the pandemic. Sure, they may not net 1 billion but it'll be double what Sarver paid, at least. That's got to be a win, especially when combined with the annual income they've all made.

I just really hope the journey to respectability and contention that was started last season doesn't get sidetracked for any reason because we have the chance to be the next Denver Nuggets type of team provided Sarver doesn't go crazy trying to turn a profit in this weird sort of times we're in. He doesn't need to spend a ton either, just keep at the cap line this season and hopefully fans will be back by the following year and things will start to look normal in 2022 and beyond.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is an early assessment that has stuck on him, and not a recent evaluation.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well... it was a label that had stuck with him.

As long as Booker gets the support from those polled now, I was willing to let that one slide.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think we still need a PF even if Saric comes back, as Saric would play back-up 4/5. He is still not good or athletic enough to start.

Again, in my opinion, offseason priorities have to be the following, in order:

1. Starting Power Forward
2. Back-up Scoring Shooting Guard or Combo Guard
3. Back-up Center

The only one of those three that Saric MIGHT fill is #3, in which case we would still need a banging #3 center.
Who do you want at starting PF assuming Harrell and Ibaka sign elsewhere and Orlando doesn’t make Gordon available?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I feel like this is an early assessment that has stuck on him, and not a recent evaluation.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well... it was a label that had stuck with him.

As long as Booker gets the support from those polled now, I was willing to let that one slide.

As someone who mercilessly called out Book for his horrific D since he's been here, I posted this in December:

I'm one of those rare old schoolers who loves watching great D. I get just as much a rise out of a great Defensive play than an Offensive play. So I do tend to focus more on Defensive ability when I watch players. (Ie, I will forever argue that Klay was the 2nd best player on the floor with Durant night in and night out.)

I've been watching Book also for these past few years. What I've seen is easily one of the worst Defenders in the league. I don't mean just SG, where he was the worst, I mean just overall one of the worst defenders in the NBA. I don't base that off of reputation, but rather what I observed. He was slow footed, slow to rotate, showed poor footwork, reaching instead of moving his feet, poor communication. and displayed OLAY D. He would have bursts of energy on D when it mattered (which was hardly ever because we sucked) only to see him give up 10-15 seconds into the possession.

What I see this year.... Um... I'm totally stunned. He's exhibits far better body position, plays through the possession, communicates with passion, rotates with great energy, keeps his feet moving, and maintains decent discipline with his hands. I'm really impressed that he holds his defensive body position throughout as I've NEVER seen him do that before. Defensive is ALWAYS played with heart, something he rarely showed in the past on D. Now, ALL I see from him is heart. He is hitting a whole other level. It reminds me a ton of what Steph Curry did in GS. He isn't the most talented defender on the court but he goes all out for his team.

One of Monty's many outstanding accomplishments this year is getting this kind of effort on D from Book... and Kelly... and Frank... and Dario... and Jerome... and Ellie... and HOPEFULLY Ayton.

The days of questioning Book's Defense are over (presuming he doesn't regress). Saying "he doesn't defend much" is a pre 2019-2020 evaluation that has no merit today.

While it's true he'll never be elite, he still can be solid. All credit goes to Monty who has completely transformed this franchises's mentality on the Defensive end.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who do you want at starting PF assuming Harrell and Ibaka sign elsewhere and Orlando doesn’t make Gordon available?

Trade for Lauri Markkanen, Julius Randle, Bobby Portis or Myles Turner. Or sign Derrick Favors. Or sign Paul Millsap as a short term stop-gap. Or trade up to draft Toppin or Okongwu. Or draft Smith or Williams at 10. We have options other than going soft and weak.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Charles Oakley from 98

that will fit a certain someone’s wet dream for a PF and an outdated lineup

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Charles Oakley from 98

that will fit a certain someone’s wet dream for a PF and an outdated lineup

I already mentioned Harrell but he is ideally a 6th man who would backup Ayton.

Myles Turner would be a nice rotation player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money, we ain't got any. We aren't going after any big contracts in trade or free agency. If, IF, we bring someone in, it will be someone that's low in a team's rotation or still tied to the G League. Maybe someone like Donta Hall, Christ Koumadje, Kyle Alexander, Eric Mika, Jared Uthoff or Devontae Cacok. Personally, I suspect our current group would easily outplay anyone our budget will allow us to acquire. And the same approach applies for whatever we do to shore up the backup shooting guard spot. JMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose