DJ Humphries Re-Signed

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think a Pro-Bowl is more in order. But yeah, I think Pat P goes back to a top-7 CB season. Based on his mood, I think it's a simple conclusion at this point.

I tend to agree. I don't think Pat is done, he looks completely focused this year

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We disagree on this and neither of us is changing the others mind. To be frank, I would rather overpay a washed CB than go into next offseason with only these three CBs under contract Byron Murphy, Robert Alford, and Jace Whittaker. Especially knowing that Alford will be released.
That’s why you use that 1st rounder on a CB next year. Resigning a clearly washed CB is such a 2016-2018 Keim move.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We disagree on this and neither of us is changing the others mind. To be frank, I would rather overpay a washed CB than go into next offseason with only these three CBs under contract Byron Murphy, Robert Alford, and Jace Whittaker. Especially knowing that Alford will be released.

“Washed” is in huge quotation marks. You’re right. Even if he isn’t the Top-3 CB he was a couple of years ago, he’s no worse than Top-15 and would at least hold the fort until another CB comes in and proves he’s a legit CB1. That doesn’t exist beyond Peterson, and a rookie out of the gate isn’t gonna be reliable Year 1.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“Washed” is in huge quotation marks. You’re right. Even if he isn’t the Top-3 CB he was a couple of years ago, he’s no worse than Top-15 and would at least hold the fort until another CB comes in and proves he’s a legit CB1. That doesn’t exist beyond Peterson, and a rookie out of the gate isn’t gonna be reliable Year 1.
Jalen Ramsey
Marshon Lattimore
Tre White
Marlon Humphrey
Jaire Alexander
Byron Jones

Fairly recent CBs that have proved this wrong, btw.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jalen Ramsey
Marshon Lattimore
Tre White
Marlon Humphrey
Jaire Alexander
Byron Jones

Fairly recent CBs that have proved this wrong, btw.

Still not smart to hang your hat on a rookie to take that responsibility.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That’s why you use that 1st rounder on a CB next year. Resigning a clearly washed CB is such a 2016-2018 Keim move.
Meh. I don't believe we are going to offer Peterson a 4 year deal. If I can get Peterson, Murphy, a 2021 rookie, and Chris Jones for the extent to Kyler's rookie deal, I think I am good that we are maximizing Kyler's rookie deal.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still not smart to hang your hat on a rookie to take that responsibility.
Why?

I just gave you recent examples otherwise.

Yea, it’s risky & aggressive, but risky & aggressive is how Kyler is on this team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why?

I just gave you recent examples otherwise.

Yea, it’s risky & aggressive, but risky & aggressive is how Kyler is on this team.
Because next year should be Kyler's best shot at a Super Bowl. A rookie getting burned on the outside and taking his lumps isn't a winning formula for a Super Bowl team.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because next year should be Kyler's best shot at a Super Bowl. A rookie getting burned on the outside and taking his lumps isn't a winning formula for a Super Bowl team.
I just gave this thread.....players that played exceptionally well.....their rookie years.....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh. I don't believe we are going to offer Peterson a 4 year deal. If I can get Peterson, Murphy, a 2021 rookie, and Chris Jones for the extent to Kyler's rookie deal, I think I am good that we are maximizing Kyler's rookie deal.
Anything more than a 1 year deal is too much for my liking.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I'd tag P2 and draft a replacement.

The tag is $16.4 this year but will go down next year with the lower cap.

I don't want a 30 year CB that already shown down tendencies to the point he felt he needed PEDs on a long extension.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just gave this thread.....players that played exceptionally well.....their rookie years.....
Okay, let's take a look player by player. Who was the #1 CB, and which of these guys played on playoff teams with a shot at it all?

Jalen Ramsey - Started and played fine, but was the #5 overall pick, which we probably won't have. His team won 3 games.

Marshon Lattimore - Wasn't the #1 CB. Played very well though. One of the few of this list on a true contending team his rookie year.

Tre White - Fills all of the criteria, team barely made a wild card berth.

Marlon Humphrey - Was the #3 CB most of the season until an injury made him a starter. Team failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Jaire Alexander - Was not the #1 CB. Team did not qualify for the playoffs.

Byron Jones - Was not the #1 CB. Didn't even exclusively play CB, and was mostly a safety to begin his career. Did not make the playoffs.

18 CBs have been taken in the 1st round since 2015, where you mentioned Byron Jones, and of your list, only two were the true #1 option. Only two were on teams that made it to the playoffs. So not only do you have to worry about the relative early ineffectiveness of these players, you have to hope you picked the right one, oh, and since you don't have Pat P. anymore, you're forced to take one even if your guy is gone, akin to Levi Brown.

That's why counting on a rookie to be our #1 CB terrifies me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, let's take a look player by player. Who was the #1 CB, and which of these guys played on playoff teams with a shot at it all?

Jalen Ramsey - Started and played fine, but was the #5 overall pick, which we probably won't have. His team won 3 games.

Marshon Lattimore - Wasn't the #1 CB. Played very well though. One of the few of this list on a true contending team his rookie year.

Marlon Humphrey - Was the #3 CB most of the season until an injury made him a starter. Team failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Byron Jones - Was not the #1 CB. Didn't even exclusively play CB, and was mostly a safety to begin his career. Did not make the playoffs.

18 CBs have been taken in the 1st round since 2015, where you mentioned Byron Jones, and of your list, only two were the true #1 option. Only two were on teams that made it to the playoffs. So not only do you have to worry about the relative early ineffectiveness of these players, you have to hope you picked the right one, oh, and since you don't have Pat P. anymore, you're forced to take one even if your guy is gone, akin to Levi Brown.

Lol @ Lattimore’s description is funny. Yea, the guy that was primarily guarding Julio Jones, Mike Evans, & Davante Adams wasn’t the #1 CB. Got it. Same goes for Jaire. Even though he primarily guarded Julio, Fitz, Baldwin, both Diggs/Thielen, wasn’t the #1 CB. Also, got it.

You guys are right, though. I definitely think we should count on a CB1 that was getting burned by the likes of Dante Pettis for the next couple years. Lets continue to lower our standards dramatically for the fella.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely counting on this guy
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely counting on this guy

No one is saying that PP21 had even an average year last year. I think you'll be surprised how much better he'll be this year. He's been embarrassed, ridiculed, and taken for granted. We'll learn a lot about Patrick, the man, this season. if he has an ounce of pride, which I think he's done, he'll rebound nicely. Not that he hasn't lost a step, I believe he has, but he'll will himself back into the conversation. He'll then sign with someone else next year, who will undoubtedly over pay for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lol @ Lattimore’s description is funny. Yea, the guy that was primarily guarding Julio Jones, Mike Evans, & Davante Adams wasn’t the #1 CB. Got it. Same goes for Jaire. Even though he primarily guarded Julio, Fitz, Baldwin, both Diggs/Thielen, wasn’t the #1 CB. Also, got it.

You guys are right, though. I definitely think we should count on a CB1 that was getting burned by the likes of Dante Pettis for the next couple years. Lets continue to lower our standards dramatically for the fella.
Feel free to break down the snap counts on those players. I don't have the time.

Jaire started 11 games. Lattimore 13. Tell me how a rookie CB is guaranteed to match a Patrick Peterson with years of experience, even if he's lost a step. I still don't think you know anything about football, you just believe in magic.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Feel free to break down the snap counts on those players. I don't have the time.

Jaire started 11 games. Lattimore 13. Tell me how a rookie CB is guaranteed to match a Patrick Peterson with years of experience, even if he's lost a step. I still don't think you know anything about football, you just believe in magic.
Both Jaire & Lattimore started in their season openers & didn’t play every game due to injuries. Do your research.

I’m not gonna break it down any further for you. I literally just gave you examples of rookie CBs coming in & making their mark. Nobody should give a damn about Peterson’s years of experience. They should give a damn about his current ability & his current ability has took a nosedive in the past 2 years.

still don't think you know anything about football
Boy, you funny. This might be the most ironic statement of 2020.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Both Jaire & Lattimore started in their season openers & didn’t play every game due to injuries. Do your research.
Jaire got named the 4th cornerback to start the season. Payton named Lattimore the 3rd CB before Crawley went inactive, and there were injuries in the Saints backfield. I know you know your football, but are you doing anything outside of your feelings about players to look at the real run these guys have?

I’m not gonna break it down any further for you. I literally just gave you examples of rookie CBs coming in & making their mark. Nobody should give a damn about Peterson’s years of experience. They should give a damn about his current ability & his current ability has took a nosedive in the past 2 years.
We need to maximize years 3 and 4 of a rookie QB's deal. I'm in total agreement with you that some rookie CBs can make an impact, but they're not ever championship pieces. Hell, the best example of a rookie #1 might be DRC, and we lost. We can afford to pay for a guy like PP21 while Kyler's on a sweet deal, even if PP isn't perfect anymore.

Boy, you funny. This might be the most ironic statement of 2020.
We fight constantly, have a good moment here or there, and I don't think we're mortal enemies, but man, your philosophy is always going to be "history doesn't matter." When we have a team that wins it all ignoring any NFL convention, I'll buy you a beer, steak, fancy hat, whatever you want. Currently, the team you think is breaking the NFL code won five games.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I am siding with you on this one, because even a majority of what turn out to be good CBs still take their lumps early on. Pat P looked fine once he got his legs up under him :raccoon:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why the arguing over letting him go and drafting a replacement?

Just draft a CB and tag P2.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson