Suns @ Wizards Friday game thread 7-31-20 (season restart)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That tells me that the agent is trying to work out a trade, not that Oubre requested one.
No. I think it means the agent is being really cautious with his health knowing the short nature of his contract. That is what Chambers sound like what he was saying in context. It was in a radio interview this morning.

Chambers also felt he would eventually play in Orlando and that Kelly is looking pretty healthy to him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns starters are the same as in the last scrimmage.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news is that Saric will play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No update on Oubre for the rest of restart.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news is that Saric will play.

Glad Saric is playing. He looked good in the scrimmages and I hope he continues playing with the same sort of aggression. If he played all season like he did in the 2 recent scrimmage games then I'd be all in favor of resigning him and I doubt he would have become some fans whipping boy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I think it means the agent is being really cautious with his health knowing the short nature of his contract. That is what Chambers sound like what he was saying in context. It was in a radio interview this morning.

Chambers also felt he would eventually play in Orlando and that Kelly is looking pretty healthy to him.

I think the agent being involved in whether Oubre plays or not makes a lot of sense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Mainstreet Have you listened to the Valley Tales podcast? I know you liked Gina Mizell's coverage of the Suns with The Athletic and you've mentioned the Valley Tales Newsletter that she started but I wasn't sure if you knew that includes a podcast also. It was posted yesterday and she has Tom Leander on as a guest. It's a good listen at about 45 minutes. Of course we have NBA basketball today but it might be worth checking out later since the game is so early.

Here's a link...
https://valleytales.substack.com/p/valley-tales-podcast-tom-leander

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mainstreet Have you listened to the Valley Tales podcast? I know you liked Gina Mizell's coverage of the Suns with The Athletic and you've mentioned the Valley Tales Newsletter that she started but I wasn't sure if you knew that includes a podcast also. It was posted yesterday and she has Tom Leander on as a guest. It's a good listen at about 45 minutes. Of course we have NBA basketball today but it might be worth checking out later since the game is so early.

Here's a link...
https://valleytales.substack.com/p/valley-tales-podcast-tom-leander

I will give it a listen. Thanks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
could be a bargaining tactic.
That's true. I'm wondering how realistic actually resigning with the Suns is... We haven't really discussed that much -- it's always been about trading him or letting his deal expire. I thought we figured that he would be too expensive to retain, which is probably why we haven't discussed it much.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true. I'm wondering how realistic actually resigning with the Suns is... We haven't really discussed that much -- it's always been about trading him or letting his deal expire. I thought we figured that he would be too expensive to retain, which is probably why we haven't discussed it much.

He's not too expensive to retain.

The Suns are going to use the cap space one way or another. The question is whether he makes sense to pay big dollars to if he can only play small forward - since Mikal is the likely starter there. It means he has to either be able to play the 4 successfully or be willing to be the 6th man.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's not too expensive to retain.

The Suns are going to use the cap space one way or another. The question is whether he makes sense to pay big dollars to if he can only play small forward - since Mikal is the likely starter there. It means he has to either be able to play the 4 successfully or be willing to be the 6th man.
How do you figure?

We have holes in the backup PG and PF spot. Oubre, as much as maybe we'd like him to be, is NOT a 4. You sign him to a big deal, are we able to actually get anyone better than Saric for that position? In my opinion, no. So resigning Oubre does become too expensive because signing him for a lot of money, which is what would happen, will eat up our flexibility.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you figure?

We have holes in the backup PG and PF spot. Oubre, as much as maybe we'd like him to be, is NOT a 4. You sign him to a big deal, are we able to actually get anyone better than Saric for that position? In my opinion, no. So resigning Oubre does become too expensive because signing him for a lot of money, which is what would happen, will eat up our flexibility.

Well I am not totally sure whether he works as a PF or not yet. I know the net rating of the Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Ayton lineup is fantastic - but it's true he is not able to defend all PF's.
But if Houston can get away with it - we should be able to also.

I do think a trade for Aaron Gordon can happen - I am pretty sure they offered him to us for Kelly at the deadline last year and we said no. He is without a doubt better than Saric, but not as good as Oubre - but he is a better fit for our team. However I also am really beginning to believe Cam Johnson can be our starting 4 as well. So maybe it would be smarter to trade Oubre for good bench players.

The best thing that could happen though is if we got top 4 in the draft lottery and were able to pick Toppin - I think that would solve our PF issue - and if not him we could solve our backup PG or Scorer off the bench issue. Picking at 10 seems to be a pretty big dropoff to me though - so I don't think we can count on anyone there solving either.

To me the question is do we like the fit of Oubre with the rest of our roster. The other thing is of course does he want to remain a Phoenix Sun.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

I really liked listening to Leander. May have to give it a second listen especially for his take on the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton scores the Suns first basket of the game with a layup.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Backdoor layup by Bridges.

Suns lead 14-11.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns having trouble guarding PF Rui Hachimura who has 6 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric enters the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne enters the game as the second player off the bench.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is too big and too talented to be this invisible on the floor for long stretches.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson