Fanless games suuuuuck

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys have any experience of games without fans. I only really follow football and don't recall ever seeing a game without.

Here in Europe it's more common, especially in soccer. The governing body, UEFA, have the power to ban fans and its often their go to move for any kind or serious or sustained fan trouble.

So I've seen several games without fans over the years, including international games, and they are terrible. Players don't seem to like them and don't seem to perform as well. Without the noise and atmosphere they are sterile and dull to watch. It makes a huge difference.

I hope by the start of the season there are fans in some capacity. Just won't be the same without.

It will be interesting to see if someone can come up with a tech solution such as generated fans or fan noise.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UFC was pretty awesome with no fans. Definitely different than other sports though.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it would be hard to say, each home team is allowed to pump in crowd noise at 80 decibels while they are on defense.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You guys have no idea what it feels like to have a running clock in the group stages of the Champions league. It's an unbelievably tense feeling.

Not even sudden death playoff hockey can get as intense as that.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys have any experience of games without fans. I only really follow football and don't recall ever seeing a game without.

Here in Europe it's more common, especially in soccer. The governing body, UEFA, have the power to ban fans and its often their go to move for any kind or serious or sustained fan trouble.

So I've seen several games without fans over the years, including international games, and they are terrible. Players don't seem to like them and don't seem to perform as well. Without the noise and atmosphere they are sterile and dull to watch. It makes a huge difference.

I hope by the start of the season there are fans in some capacity. Just won't be the same without.

It will be interesting to see if someone can come up with a tech solution such as generated fans or fan noise.

I thought I read where that German Futbol league is going to use cardboard cutouts...and that the NFL is exploring that option.