NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe they will play more regular season games. I believe that if they resume, they will resume with the playoffs based upon the present standings. Even then, it might be an abbreviated playoff schedule.

agreed. maybe something like going best of 3 in the first round, best of five in the second and then 7 game series for the Conference Finals and Finals.

another question... say there's a universe where the NBA does come back late AND the Olympics are actually happening. If the season goes late, do the NBA players bow out of the Olympics?

all these questions are probably moot... I think we're in for a long haul dealing with this crisis.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I cannot believe they will play more regular season games. I believe that if they resume, they will resume with the playoffs based upon the present standings. Even then, it might be an abbreviated playoff schedule.
Even if it does come back it will be without fans in attendance. I don't think it really matters which court they use. Could just as easily play it at an LA Fitness.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it depends on how long they end up going without playing. If they resume in 30 days, like the original talk seemed to point towards, then I could see a week or two of games without fans in attendance. If it goes longer than that, I think they'll go with a live trial of sorts for Silver's play-in series for the playoffs before the playoffs starts. That would also allow the league to get a couple of games under their belt before the real coverage of the playoffs starts, ironing out some kinks.

Silver has talked about wanting to do a play-in tournament of sorts, or series, to determine either the 7th & 8th seeds or just the 8th seed. That would give the 9th place teams this year a chance at getting in so less unhappy franchises. Any other team wasn't getting in, realistically, and even the 9th seeded teams this year didn't look likely to get in. It would be more of a game for the league to work off some rust before going live with the real playoffs.

Portland is the 9th seed in the West now and I can see them raising a stink if they can't play to get in otherwise. Having a winner takes all game against Memphis would make for a hell of a game to watch on TV. It would bring back the NBA in a good way, hopefully. Whichever sport is back first will draw huge ratings and if it's a game that means something, it will pull in even more people.

I know any team raising a fuss over missing the playoffs will look like a villain of sorts but Portland already has Carmelo to kick it off. He's used to appearing selfish.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can only isolate yourself for so long. People have to be with people. I do have sources that say that the primary point of isolation is not to keep everyone from getting sick, they believe there will be a fairly normal spread of infection similar to other flu viruses. They are just trying to stretch it out so that health care facilities won't get overwhelmed all at once (like is happening in Italy right now). When the number of ventilators is limited (for instance) health care professionals find themselves facing difficult questions like determining who has the best shot at survival and making decisions accordingly. Who gets the to use the equipment, the 85-year-old or the 35-year-old?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players will not be allowed to travel outside of North America.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Teams had been encourging of idea of shuttering faciltiies for immediate future. As much as franchises wanted players to have an outlet to come get work in, teams and league were uneasy about contact even in that limited environment. This was an inevitable move for a long hiatus.

10:58 AM - 19 Mar 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope some of the players have a home gym or access to one.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Multiple Lakers, sixers, someone from Nuggets and Marcus Smart confirmed to have it as well today...

Some thought the shutdown was an overreaction at the time, can't imagine too many people believing that now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple Lakers, sixers, someone from Nuggets and Marcus Smart confirmed to have it as well today...

Some thought the shutdown was an overreaction at the time, can't imagine too many people believing that now.

Hope everything is well with you in Canada.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

The state department is asking all Americans abroad to return to the USA ASAP.

I suspect they're strongly considering closing all borders.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Hope everything is well with you in Canada.
So far so good. I feel like our government is taking appropriate actions, though still somewhat frustrated by some people not really following the guidelines. My wife works in healthcare so she's just behind the frontlines and they are all scared s**tless by the potential onslaught if people continue being stupid.

Stay safe everyone!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
3/24/20, 11:15 AM
Other NBA owners are watching Sixers and weighing the PR fallout vs. desire to do the same with salary reductions -- including some considering furloughs, staff cutbacks, etc. No owner wants to log into Twitter and see his net worth trending after announcing this kind of news.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/24/20, 11:15 AM
Other NBA owners are watching Sixers and weighing the PR fallout vs. desire to do the same with salary reductions -- including some considering furloughs, staff cutbacks, etc. No owner wants to log into Twitter and see his net worth trending after announcing this kind of news.

NBA/NHL should force any owner that does what the Sixers/Nets owner did (including him) to sell the team like they did for the Clippers

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
76ers changing direction and will be paying employees their full salary.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
76ers changing direction and will be paying employees their full salary.

Good - I guess the negative backlash (plus probably an earful from Silver and fellow owners) got to them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good - I guess the negative backlash (plus probably an earful from Silver and fellow owners) got to them.

And especially after Joel Embiid donated $500,000 for coronavirus relief.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
3/24/20, 11:57 AM
Sixers ownership statement to ESPN: ''....After listening to our staff and players, it's clear that was the wrong decision. We have reversed it and will be paying these employees their full salary."

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
seriously what are they thinking? of course there's going to be backlash, especially when other organizations have already stepped up what seems like a long time ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top NBA executives may take a pay cut.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard