Jordan Phillips signed for 3 years

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd rather have had Vernon Butler (2-$16) and Shelton (2-$8) for a combined $12 million a year, but what do I know. Sure hope I'm wrong.

I wanted Vernon Butler, until I noticed that he was part of a disastrously bad Carolina front seven that was easily the worst in the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wanted Vernon Butler, until I noticed that he was part of a disastrously bad Carolina front seven that was easily the worst in the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ok, switch Butler out for Linval Joseph 2-$17 :)

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Linval Joseph is a space eater who cant rush the passer.

Philips forced the Bill's to sit a top ten pick.
I guess I don't have faith in Phillips replicating his 2019 season and would rather have had two decent players for the D-line for about the same money. Like I said, sure hope I'm wrong

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great writeup on Phillips in the Athletic... here are some excerpts:
The Athletic talked to two men who know Phillips well. Eric Wood is the Buffalo Bills radio color analyst; prior to that he was an offensive lineman with the Bills for nine years and played against Phillips during Phillips’ first three seasons with the Miami Dolphins. Lorenzo Alexander, who played for the Cardinals in 2013 and 2014, was a linebacker for Buffalo last season.

Why do you think Phillips had a breakout season in 2019?
Wood: Early in his career in Miami he played behind guys like Ndamukong Suh and when he got to Buffalo in 2018 he was behind Kyle Williams and Star Lotulelei. This year he was put into a starting role and he got more reps, especially in third-down situations, which added to his sack total.

Alexander: I think it was a combination of things. He got more opportunities and he matured a lot when it comes to practice habits, taking care of his body and preparation, understanding what it takes to be successful on Sundays. All those things allowed him to have success he didn’t have early in his career. The change of venue helped too. But at the end of the day, it’s all about being disruptive. He was disruptive in 2018 but didn’t have as many snaps.

[....]

Should Cardinals fans be concerned that he played well in a contract year and might regress now that he’s been paid?
Wood: [....] Often, sack numbers can be an anomaly. [....] You can always kind of trick yourself getting too enamored with actual stats. But I think Jordan will remain productive. He was a guy who played with a lot of effort last year. He came in with a chip on his shoulder, and I think he’ll have a chip on his shoulder going to Arizona because the Bills didn’t want to pay him.

Alexander: He has the skill set and talent. He was just really raw coming out of college (Oklahoma). He’s only scratched the surface of what he can do. I played with and for (Cardinals defensive line coach Brentson Buckner), and he’ll definitely push Jordan to the next level. Brentson will have his respect because he played, and he’ll keep Jordan process-oriented. If you really love this game you want to be one of the best, and Jordan wants to do that. I think he’ll work on the things that will allow him to have a successful career past this three-year deal.

Finally, what kind of guy is he?
Wood: Passionate, friendly, comes to work every day with a positive attitude. He loves giving guys a hard time. He’s an asset in the locker room.

Alexander: He’s a good guy. Very energetic. He’ll fit in well.

...dave

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Thanks again to free NFL Game Pass...love those condensed games! They also have the all 22 but I don't have time for that now. :)

Huge dude...solid player but not going to wow you at all.

I am not sure how many more snaps he will be play here but would be nice if he would play more.

Reminds me of Dexter Lawrence from the Giants.

99.9% sure we will not draft a guy like Derrick Brown now. Very similar players IMO but I would say Brown will be better.

If we go DT/DE...I would expect a guy like Kinlaw who is a super athletic disrupter.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There are no details on any player to new team deals because of the final physicals.

Nothing has been officially filed with the League; agents are the publicity quoted sources.

There are 30 or so contracts that have details published...you can find them below.

The Cardinals are just slow to report these things historically.

Here is Michael Brockers details (same years/$ as Phillips):

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still waiting on details... This deal hinges 100% on the details, and the fact that we know so little about the guarantees, structure, and cap hit (while contracts signed later like Kennard we know almost all those details) makes me wonder why....

I understand the deal can't officially be signed before physicals, etc... but until we know, it is hard to judge this deal...

I still remain pessimistic about giving a DT 10 million a year, so I'm hoping it is actually closer to $5 million guaranteed a year with incentives built in (like double digit sacks, pro bowls, etc...) that makes the deal as much as 30 million over three years

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jondan Philips also structured differently. Also has a ghost 4th year.

4 years, $40M, $18.5M gtd, $8M signing bonus, salaries $2M (gtd), $10M ($8.5M gtd for inj at signing, $4.5M skill, cap at signing, another $4M gtd for skill, cap if on roster 5th day '21; $10M, $10M, $10M; '23 voids if on roster 5th day after '22 SBowl

Cap hit this year only 4m. 12m each of the next 2 years. 2m dead cap in the 4th ghost year.

Earliest can get out is year 3 with a 4m dead cap hit.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Thanks @BritCard

Good news - only a 4m cap hit for 2020.

Risk - he is locked in for 3 years...he better perform as expected. :)
Next year will be the year that will hurt if he under-performs. Just a 4m dead cap in year 3 if cut early. Hopefully none of this matters in the end.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok, so essentially it is a 2 year 16 million dollar deal with a 4 million dead cap if cut after year two...

That is A LOT more reasonable than 3/30...

Yes, a 12 million cap hit next year hurts, but assuming the cap does increase to the 250 range starting next year that will mitigate some of the damage...

This biggest concern is if he performs so poorly year one that he becomes an anchor year 2, but our exposure is limited even in the worst case scenario

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

Josh Weinfuss
⁦‪@joshweinfuss‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Kingsbury said Jordan Phillips is versatile enough to play the 1-, 3- or 5-technique — and that Vance Joseph, who was Phillips’ DC in Miami in 2106, raved about that versatility and his athleticism.
I want Derek Brown on the line with him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson