DJ traded to the Texans for DeAndre Freaking Hopkins

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unbelievable trade, can use our 1st rounder on OT or DT, doubt Simmons will be there but there will be some really elite talent there at 8.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still can't believe this. Too good to be true. Did not believe Johnson could be moved without paying large amount of salary. He sure looked done to me.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I didn't realize this

Hopkins is 27 years old

and his cap hit this year will be $12.5mm, $13.5 in 2021 and 13.p in 2022

young player on a reasonable contract

this is hard to beleive

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This biggest part of the deal is that we cleared ALL of Dj's salary.

Hopkins for a 2nd and 4th is a worth while trade...but getting rid of DJ's salary was a hard task to accomplish.

Thats what pushes it over the top for me

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So he wants a new deal. He NEEDS a new deal. Sign him and get it done quickly! He's not some high draft pick that you hope works out - he's a proven commodity, the real deal. Lock him down now. Hell, the money saved unloading DJ will make up for bringing Hopkins up to a current market deal.

What a fleecing. Even if DJ has a nice comeback in Houston, they STILL got fleeced. And if he plays like he did the last 2 years, O'Brien will get run out of town. It's glorious.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopkins is going to want a new contact the minute he lands in Arizona

I think we can extend him 2 years, add some guaranteed money and still come out ok.

We should have a true #1 WR locked up for all of KM's contract...which is pretty great.

I hope we can land a couple of decent defensive players in FA...then our draft really opens up...including a trade down to recoup a 2nd round pick.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you are nitpicking here.

This deal is insanely good.

We should trade down a few spots to get a second back now.
It is, but I watched almost all the Texans games the last couple of years.

Hopefully drafting an OT helps and Kyler has the time to make plays. Unless a speed threat emerges. As great as Hopkins is the offense doesnt take off without a speed threat.

When the Texans have Fuller on the field, Deshaun Watson turns into a much better quarterback. According to ESPN Stats, Watson’s passer rating jumps from 89.8 to 104.3 while his QBR goes from 64.4 to 77.3 with Fuller on the field.

Over the three years with Fuller on the field, Watson’s career splits are similar to what they were in 2019, and the only quarterback with a better QBR over that span is the Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes at 77.3.

Fuller’s deep ball capability is a critical piece in the Texans offense, and this season alone, he has nine receptions of 30-plus yards, which has him tied for 7th most in the NFL.

The lack of Fuller changes things for Watson, and it concerns to see how much it changes his game.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/texans-offense-must-show-they-can-operate-without-will-fuller

Now maybe Kliff proves to be a helluva lot better than O'Brien at calling plays. I love the move long term. Just saying next year still might not be the offensive explosion we are hoping for. Just saying I'm probably going to temper expectations for next season.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is, but I watched almost all the Texans games the last couple of years.

Hopefully drafting an OT helps and Kyler has the time to make plays. Unless a speed threat emerges. As great as Hopkins is the offense doesnt take off without a speed threat.

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/texans-offense-must-show-they-can-operate-without-will-fuller

Now maybe Kliff proves to be a helluva lot better than O'Brien at calling plays. I love the move long term. Just saying next year still might not be the offensive explosion we are hoping for. Just saying I'm probably going to temper expectations for next season.

Trade back a little and draft Ruggs.

Fitz, Hopkins, Kirk, Ruggs, Isabella, Butler, Cooper/Johnson/Byrd....

That is a hell of a WR room.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose