Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-buyer-beware-10-2020-nfl-draft-prospects

T Mekhi Becton, Louisville
Buyer beware of: Poor true pass sets
Playing tackle in the NFL is about one thing and one thing only: pass protection. Pass protection, more so than almost any other job in the NFL, is a learned skill. With any skill, practice and repetitions matter. Louisville changed to a much more run- and play-heavy offense this past season. As such, Becton took only 73 true pass sets (plays with no play action, no RPO, with deep drops and at least four pass-rushers) in all of 2019. That’s the fewest of any tackle that made our top five tackle prospects. For comparison, the Falcons' Jake Matthews led all NFL tackles with 390 last year, and the 32nd most at the tackle position was 250. What I’m trying to say is, if Becton starts all season long next year, he’ll get tested around four times more than he did at Louisville last season.

It’s not only that he doesn’t have the practice, but also that he’s been bad on them. Becton has allowed eight pressures on those 73 sets for a 64.7 pass-blocking grade. Only Washington’s Trey Adams had a worse grade among the tackles that made our top-10. That doesn’t scream first-round type prospect to us.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After rewatching some tape on the OT, I don't want one in the first round. None of them is a LT in the NFL and many are better suited for G than OT.

I don't spent a top 10 Pick one anyone of the OT. Go D because there will be a good D player with at least 3 QB taken before us.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If he’s so bad, why he is their top 5 tackles?
I wouldn’t take him but I wouldn’t take any OT for the Cards if they re-sign DJ

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If he’s so bad, why he is their top 5 tackles?
I wouldn’t take him but I wouldn’t take any OT for the Cards if they re-sign DJ
Well mtl he gets the transition tag....so there's that. I think Wills would certainly fit the bill, and he protected Tua's blind side. He can handle either side and is a true beast RBer.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Becton will be a project IMHO.As stated Louisville was run heavy last season. Becton has talent but worthy of Round 1 ..no way.I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't end up at OG eventually.
He was good at run blocking, just can't grade him as a pass blocker yet. He didn't have enough pass blocking plays to judge. He has the size to be good & will more than likely be with pro coaches, just not top 10 worthy right now. Maybe with our 2nd pick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA