Could There Be a Run on QBs?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I normally don’t pay much attention to the CBS mocks. I do confess to looking at them for amusement purposes only(a minor tribute to pinball machines). They change so radically from week to week even when nothing new has happened to cause them to change. This week’s version shows 5 QBs with the top 15 picks. It’s true that several teams must either seek a QB in FA or the draft. The Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Raiders, Colts, Bucs and Panthers likely will chase a QB. Others like Chicago, New Orleans and Tennessee may also have an interest. Let’s assume Burrow, Tua and Herbert are all taken by the time the Cards pick. Of course, it wouldn’t be surprising if one of the QB-seeking teams traded with the Giants and all three are gone by pick 5. So how desperate are the rest. If the Chargers aren’t the trade up team they may well take a QB anyway. So the question is, will a trade down opportunity arise for the Cards? Keep in mind if this minor QB run starts most projectors believe Okudah will fall. There are teams that would move up for him. However, if a QB run that means the Cards will have a chance to move. If a team, other than the Chargers, moves up to 5, it’s likely to be the Raiders, Bucs or Colts. They would have to barter the least to move. Assuming the Cards trade down with whomever is left, what would they get? The most probable result would be a third round selection. So how could the Cards maximize their return? Suppose the Cards used my bonus shift pay adjustment for DJ and Tampa was interested in making a trade for DJ. You know Arians has to love Eason and his huge arm. Eason would surely still be on the board. So now the Cards could get an extra highly-placed 3rd, more cap space and a first round pick at 13 that could still be Lamb, Kinlaw or a quality OT prospect. That’s how to play a draft.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
What happened to DJ that caused him to fall off the map? From one of the best in the NFL to a non factor EVERY time he got a touch, which was rare. Injury, lost desire, got paid so laid an egg, saving himself for his future team, ???? I know any answer would be speculation, but for him to be so ineffective while Drake looked so good baffles me....

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What happened to DJ that caused him to fall off the map? From one of the best in the NFL to a non factor EVERY time he got a touch, which was rare. Injury, lost desire, got paid so laid an egg, saving himself for his future team, ???? I know any answer would be speculation, but for him to be so ineffective while Drake looked so good baffles me....

he got paid. Mystery solved.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry, I always enjoy your post. I would say if the Cards were to trade down it would have to include a couple of extra picks unless the trade included DJ. If it didn’t I wouldn’t accept anything less than a 2nd this year and a 4th ( this year or next year). A team moving up is desperate for somebody.

I think it also matters what player is sitting there at 8. Would we make the trade if Okudah was there? Or Brown?

One other thought. If the Cards were looking for a qb this year ( thank god we’re not) I would be scared to death to draft Tua. How does anybody really know how the long range effect of his injury will lower his ceiling? It seems everybody thinks he will be gone by pick 7. I’m thinking he may slide.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
lets all hope that one of Jordan Love and Jacob Eason scorch the combine with their arms

it does seem like TB and Indy are the likely suspects to trade up if they get QB fever and there is really one guy left.

For a team like TB, they could sign Rivers and let Love / Eason develop for a year or so until they turn it over to him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Seems to me there is always a QB run at the top now. Changing of the guard at the position the last couple of years, and it's continuing. NE, and NO may definately be in the market. They'd have to give up multiple 1's + to move up. Then you also have three going in top 7, mtl.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Miami is the key. If they can somehow move from their draft slot to #1. Look out.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burrow is a consensuos first overall pick
Tua is a top 5 pick
Herbert has a very good good chance being drafted in the top 10
Jordan Love can raise some draft boards and be a first round pick

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would stay put at 8. I think there will be at least 3 QBs picked before our spot, maybe even 4 if somebody blows up at the Combine. That means a top-5 positional player falls into our lap, and we take whoever we have rated more highly.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Teams with unsettled quarterback position:

1) Dolphins
2) Patriots - either resign Brady or promote Stidham
3) Bengals
4) Titans - resign Tannehill
5) Colts - stuck with Bissett for another year
6) Jaguars - Foyles gets another chance?
7) Chargers
8) Saints - Hill ?
9) Buccaneers
10) Panthers

Time for a change:

11) Raiders
12) Steelers

I see Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert going in the top five with Love rounding out the first round selections.

Hopefully the Cardinals won't be drafting this high for years to come, so they should stay put and take the best player available.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will no doubt be a lot of Qb movement. Newton, Rivers, Brees( I doubt it), Mariotta, Winston and Bridgewater . There’s probably a couple I forgot.

That tells me that maybe there won’t be a run on Qb’s.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Okudah is there and you have him ranked higher than anyone else, you take him... and hopefully if we do, the forum does not go full moron mode and immediately talk about moving Peterson which would then put us in the same spot as we were with just Peterson, that's if Okudah turns out to be all that

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Teams with unsettled quarterback position:

1) Dolphins
2) Patriots - either resign Brady or promote Stidham
3) Bengals
4) Titans - resign Tannehill
5) Colts - stuck with Bissett for another year
6) Jaguars - Foyles gets another chance?
7) Chargers
8) Saints - Hill ?
9) Buccaneers
10) Panthers

Time for a change:

11) Raiders
12) Steelers

I see Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert going in the top five with Love rounding out the first round selections.

Hopefully the Cardinals won't be drafting this high for years to come, so they should stay put and take the best player available.

Potentially a lot of change. You didnt even include Washington either.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potentially a lot of change. You didnt even include Washington either.
I concur with Redskins need, but fairly certain Snyder is enamored with Haskins. IIRC Gruden did not want Haskins and that was one of the factors in his firing.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Probably 4 in the first round. Obviously we want as many as possible but it’s to early to tell if anyone rises or leapfrogs the “top 3” or 2 after Burrow.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
There will be a run on QBs, do not see how there could not be along with even the WRs though there is depth... all it takes is for one franchise to hit the panic button early and it's on just like a fantasy football draft lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as pronounced a hitch but Eason to me is Bortles 2, big guy great arm but he pats the ball before he throws it almost everytime so his release is not as quick as it should be.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tonight is further proof that great QB’s win Super Bowls. Mahomes is great. Garoppolo is good, but not great. Teams will take risks drafting QB’s early for that reason.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Tonight is further proof that great QB’s win Super Bowls. Mahomes is great. Garoppolo is good, but not great. Teams will take risks drafting QB’s early for that reason.
:rolleyes:

I love Mahomes, but let's be real, he didn't have a dream game at all.