The Suns next big move

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord that guy is dumber than rocks. Literally everything he says is moronic.

But Anthony Davis, Lebron and Booker would look so good together.

Unfortunately for some, the other teams exist to serve the Lakers.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you considered the stigma of being demoted and remaining on the team?

It is often better for a demoted player to get a fresh start with a new team.

Put yourself in his position. Better for the player. Better for the team.

As far as your and my opinions, they are indeed divergent. You tend to
support the status quo and I look to improve. Especially considering the
disappointing status of the team over the past decade.

JC is no longer here, JC. Unless your initials are JC. :)
I played on teams in HS and college. Young players often need to come off the bench in order to learn. This happened even with Devin. If you do not think I am interested in improving the team, you have not been reading my posts. The idea of trading Ayton after one season plus 8 games is just--I am not sure how to say it without sounding harsh.

Its certainly a good thing that the Bucks did not trade Giannis or the Spurs trade Kawhi after such a short time.

And regarding JC. I am too lazy to change it, and I still like Jerry even if he is not here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you considered the stigma of being demoted and remaining on the team?

It is often better for a demoted player to get a fresh start with a new team.

Put yourself in his position. Better for the player. Better for the team.

As far as your and my opinions, they are indeed divergent. You tend to
support the status quo and I look to improve. Especially considering the
disappointing status of the team over the past decade.

JC is no longer here, JC. Unless your initials are JC. :)

Man... this idea that having a role reduction means you need to trade a player... that is a TERRIBLE way to handle your roster. It basically means that any change from your initial plan requires you to blow up the works. I know you have spouted the same theories on the Dbacks forum regarding where guys hit in the order or are in the rotation. A guy falters, you change their role and BOOM, they gotta go.

The only GM I can think of who operated in such a way was Kevin Towers.

Coincidentally, Kevin Towers was probably the worst GM I have suffered through on any team I cheered for.

Coaches need to have the ability to experiment to find what works and to use playing time to reward or discipline their team. The roster is not a stone tablet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is one of the most irritating sportmedia guys ever.

I simply have no idea why he has a journalist job at all. Being employed by espn is totally beyond me.

My guess, there is the view in the media industry that there are a lot of low information fans who simply what to be amused. They think a lot of fans like stories... the louder and outrageous the better. IMO, this is mostly a stereotype.

However, maybe there is a market for it. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who attend games or watch the media simply for entertainment.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My guess, there is the view in the media industry that there are a lot of low information fans who simply what to be amused. They think a lot of fans like stories... the louder and outrageous the better. IMO, this is mostly a stereotype.

However, maybe there is a market for it. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who attend games or watch the media simply for entertainment.

Yes, that seems the only explanation but it is still terrible.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Bingo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Ronin

I should have said casual entertainment... like going to a movie.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The suns next big move should be to unflush this season....do something!

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rose and Ibaka please...
If those teams are truly trading those players, I believe they are attainable.

Rose has a contract is for this year and next.
Ibaka will be a free agent and so would be a two-month rental.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I dedicate the fortune I received at my favorite Asian super buffet today to Robert Sarver.

You must be registered for see images attach

Y'know, like spending part of their billions on a qualified Front Office and players.
GM and scouts. The new idea being . . . W I N N I N G .

Since Sarver took over the team in 2004, the team that he inherited from Jerry
had six successful years, with a regular season record of 332-160 -- .675 and
a playoff record of 36-31 in their five playoff seasons.

In the 9 1/2 seasons since then, their regular season record is 291-476 -- a
pathetic .379. With no playoff appearances in the past nine seasons and the
tenth not looking good this season.

If Robert Sarver were overseeing one person with that record, he would have
fired him. That would be . . . Robert Sarver.

Instead, he fires the many unqualified General Managers and Head Coaches he
brings on board to run his errands. He is obviously the common denominator.

All he has to do is stop trying to run the Suns like a bank, stop acting like a
celebrity and, as the fortune cookie says, stretch his mind to a new idea --
W I N N I N G . With a net value of over a billion dollars, the Suns owe to their
fans.

Check the numbers over the past 9 1/2 years.
As the saying goes . . . figures
don't lie,
but liars figure. And bankers. The whole lot of them. :(

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Devin Booker and Bradley Beal back court would be phenomenal.

Although Beal is listed as a shooting guard, he is averaging 6.4 assists this season.

If the Suns could trade for him, they would have two legitimate stars to match with Ayton.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Devin Booker and Bradley Beal back court would be phenomenal.

Although Beal is listed as a shooting guard, he is averaging 6.4 assists this season.

If the Suns could trade for him, they would have two legitimate stars to match with Ayton.

Metric stats currently rank Beal as the worst defender in the entire NBA. The Wizards are currently significantly better when Beal is off the court, like, by a stunning margin, they're giving up an insane 123 points per 100 possessions when he is on the court, vs 108 when he is off.

The Wizards will want a kings ransom for him, but with the way he is playing I wouldn't take him for free.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not even fun to tank anymore...This team just exists in limbo

It was never fun to tank. Tanking these last couple of years provided an excuse to accept the awful basketball we watched. We could celebrate losses as wins because they got us more pingpong balls.

We're basically in NBA purgatory right now. Not good enough to compete and not bad enough to secure a top lottery pick. We're 10th in the West despite being 7 games below 500. The 8th seed is 3 games below 500 right now. I saw a good article a few weeks ago that I meant to share here about how the middle class in the NBA is disappearing because of how hard it is to build from the middle.

Here's an excerpt...

The aim is to acquire the kind of players who can lift them from truly terrible to true contender without wallowing in the dreaded middle. Here, teams die to emerge from purgatory born again. It is a far greater gamble to build from the middle, where you have to hope a late lottery pick or second-round flier turns into a superstar, as Giannis Antetokounmpo and Nikola Jokic did for Milwaukee and Denver, respectively. It is practically impossible to plan for such a scenario.

Definitely check it out, it's a little depressing but it hits on some good points.

https://sports.yahoo.com/once-consi...ded-middle-is-becoming-extinct-214751467.html

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trickle-down basketball economics... I agree about the purgatory to a certain extent: to me it’s sort of whether the ceiling is Denver/Utah, or higher. I feel that the Suns are a couple of players away from the former. An upgrade at PF and backup PG for instance, and then the bench improves by virtue of being a more attractive destination. I would hope that Phoenix can be a more attractive destination than Denver and Salt Lake, but there’s the Sarver factor as well.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was never fun to tank. Tanking these last couple of years provided an excuse to accept the awful basketball we watched. We could celebrate losses as wins because they got us more pingpong balls.

We're basically in NBA purgatory right now. Not good enough to compete and not bad enough to secure a top lottery pick. We're 10th in the West despite being 7 games below 500. The 8th seed is 3 games below 500 right now. I saw a good article a few weeks ago that I meant to share here about how the middle class in the NBA is disappearing because of how hard it is to build from the middle.

Here's an excerpt...

Definitely check it out, it's a little depressing but it hits on some good points.

https://sports.yahoo.com/once-consi...ded-middle-is-becoming-extinct-214751467.html
Come on guys. NBA purgatory is where teams that have peaked stay when they are no longer good but do not want to rebuild. This team has hit bottom and is on the way up. We have a star player in Booker and a likely star in Ayton. We are the youngest team in the league and we just matched our win total from last year and it’s still January. We need a pf and a back up pg. Last year we did not even have a starting pg. This is a stage this team has to move through and I am confident it will. Yes, I would have loved to improve by 25 games year over year, but we are going to have to settle for 15 or so.

And this draft class is not worth a tank.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose