NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean he could choose to sign the QO and just play 1 more year. Otherwise whoever has his bird rights will have all the power as to whether he stays or goes.

The Kings cap situation is so bad that they will have a hard time matching any decent offer he receives.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Kings cap situation is so bad that they will have a hard time matching any decent offer he receives.
They currently have about 96m fully guaranteed for next year and that is a good 20m under the projected cap. They have more than enough room to match most offers for Brogdan, but of course they will need to also fill out the roster as that 96m figure is for only 8 players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They currently have about 96m fully guaranteed for next year and that is a good 20m under the projected cap. They have more than enough room to match most offers for Brogdan, but of course they will need to also fill out the roster as that 96m figure is for only 8 players.

They're at 105 committed, Buddy Hield signed a huge extension. I don't see how they can give a big contract to Brogdon when they have so much money tied up in Hield, Barnes and Cory Joseph.

But the Kings are really stupid... so, anything is possible.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They're at 105 committed, Buddy Hield signed a huge extension. I don't see how they can give a big contract to Brogdon when they have so much money tied up in Hield, Barnes and Cory Joseph.

But the Kings are really stupid... so, anything is possible.
That's counting Bjelica who has a non guaranteed contract. So it's actually about 98m, but 105m if they decide to keep Bjelica.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's counting Bjelica who has a non guaranteed contract. So it's actually about 98m, but 105m if they decide to keep Bjelica.

They'll keep him, he is one of the few players on their roster out preforming their contract. He would probably prefer to hit free agency.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza now going to his 9th nba team. 11 if you consider his second runs at Washington and Houston separately.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They'll keep him, he is one of the few players on their roster out preforming their contract. He would probably prefer to hit free agency.
Of course, but if they absolutely need to let him go to make a play for a big name free agent they could do it. Well in theory as even then they would only be looking at like 18m in space and most of the big names will surpass that amount.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza now going to his 9th nba team. 11 if you consider his second runs at Washington and Houston separately.

Saw this piece about the trade, mentioning how Tolliver and Bazemore are considered good locker room guys. It doesn't outright say that Ariza isn't a good locker room guy but you would think he would have earned that label by now. Signing him to help push a team into the playoffs isn't something that will yield much success, it didn't here, Washington, or Sacramento.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...package-headlined-by-trevor-ariza-per-report/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this piece about the trade, mentioning how Tolliver and Bazemore are considered good locker room guys. It doesn't outright say that Ariza isn't a good locker room guy but you would think he would have earned that label by now. Signing him to help push a team into the playoffs isn't something that will yield much success, it didn't here, Washington, or Sacramento.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...package-headlined-by-trevor-ariza-per-report/

It seems to be mostly a money saving move by Portland with the hope he might be more motivated by a playoff push. Needless to say, I'm glad Ariza is no longer on the Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Saric isn't mentioned much nationally but the few mentions I've seen about him as a Sun are positive. He's bashed relentlessly by some people but it's largely underserved. Would I like a better starting PF? Yes, but he is an upgrade over Bender, Chriss, and the SF's we've started at PF over the last few years like Ariza, Dudley, and Warren.

Almost every team in the league has 1 starter they'd like to upgrade and considering where the Suns were last year, Saric is pretty good "worst starter" or least productive starter. Now I'm not saying Saric is the longterm answer but he shouldn't be the whipping boy that he's become. He's not even the worst starting PF in the West, like some would lead you to believe.

Just to compare him to a few other teams that are lacking a quality PF, I compared his stats to Dwight Powell in Dallas and Royce O'Neal in Utah. Dallas is 27-15 and Utah is 29-13.

Dwight Powell is labeled as Dallas' starting C or PF, depending on how sites label Porzingis. Since Porzingis is a 7'3" rim protector for Dallas, I feel like Powell qualifies. Saric is a better 3pt and FT shooter while they Saric rebounds better and scores more while playing less minutes and Powell is a little older as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://bkref.com/tiny/IPHUl

In Utah, O'Neal is a better 3pt shooter but Saric is a better rebounder and passer than him also, and a better scorer overall.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://bkref.com/tiny/jYIj7

Other players poor performances get chalked up to numerous things, be it inconsistent playing time, not playing with the same teammates, changing their role, etc but I don't see Saric afforded those same excuses. Either "he sucks" or "he wasn't awful" seems to be how he's judged after every game and he's had a few good games, last night being one. I don't believe he's cost them any games, which can't be said for the other starters.

I think we'll see him produce a little more now that Ayton is back and Saric plays with him for the most part. What he's asked to do with Ayton is a lot different than he was asked with Baynes or Kaminsky. He was brought in to play with Ayton and hadn't had that chance until recently, and he's looked pretty decent recently. Who a player shares frontcourt responsibilities with is just as important as backcourt mates playing off one another and we've seen how much Rubio has helped Booker and Booker has also helped Rubio. Let's allow Ayton and Saric to develop some chemistry also.
My reaction is that Saric's major problem is his inconsistency.

And that he is not just the weakest link in the starting lineup (someone has to be),
but that he is a weak link and, therefore, a detriment playing alongside Ayton.

For those reasons, his mediocrity affects more than his own position.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My reaction is that Saric's major problem is his inconsistency.

And that he is not just the weakest link in the starting lineup (someone has to be),
but that he is a weak link and, therefore, a detriment playing alongside Ayton.

For those reasons, his mediocrity affects more than his own position.
It looks to me like Oubre’s good games come at saric’s expense. And Oubre tends to be inconsistent.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It looks to me like Oubre’s good games come at saric’s expense. And Oubre tends to be inconsistent.
Oubre has been the second leading scorer on the team -- now headed to third with Ayton returning.

Saric is the 7th. As a starter. Oubre's scoring has been much more consistent than Saric's.

And his scoring average is double Saric's. There is no comparison.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oubre has been the second leading scorer on the team -- now headed to third with Ayton returning.

Saric is the 7th. As a starter. Oubre's scoring has been much more consistent than Saric's.

And his scoring average is double Saric's. There is no comparison.

And scoring is Saric's STRENGTH. It only goes downhill from there...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does the media think the Suns are here to serve the Knicks? Never mind, I know.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that Oubre is a target of other fanbases' fantasies. He plays with great passion and is on what should prove to be an excellent contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose