Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sounds more like Dansby than Buchannon

Imagine if Los had greater athletic gifts...

I love Simmons...... And I think he has more gifts than Los.

I just pray he has the same football IQ to sense big moments and plays. Simmons makes a ton of wow plays so it should translate but damn man...... Los seemed to make all the big plays and pass break-ups over the middle.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I love Simmons...... And I think he has more gifts than Los.

I just pray he has the same football IQ to sense big moments and plays. Simmons makes a ton of wow plays so it should translate but damn man...... Los seemed to make all the big plays and pass break-ups over the middle.
If you want to draft Simmons at 8, you have to do a lot of work in free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I want Thomas or Wirfs but you could sign me the F up for Simmons and Brockers as well.
I agree. I like Simmons in general a lot more than I like Simmons for the Cardinals. My personal bog board vs my big board for the Cardinals definitely have some differences.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you think he's a good fit for the Cards? I think he's the best player for the Cards on the entire board.
I personally can’t find 1 thing not to like. He can cover. He is versatile. He is fast. Smart and can tackle. He reminds me of Daryl Washington. Could we live with that?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why don't you think he's a good fit for the Cards? I think he's the best player for the Cards on the entire board.
I think he is a luxury item when we need essentials to live. He is risky. He is at a non-premium position. I have a tough time putting any ILB in front of Okudah, Wirfs, and Derrick Brown considering where our roster is at this point in time.

All that said, I love him. I think he is a unique and special player who create some problems for opposing offenses.

If we somehow came out of free agency with Jack Conklin, Calais Campbell, and traded a 2021 1st for Stefon Diggs? In that scenario, I can see rationale in drafting Simmons at 8.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, Deone Bucannon was a relatively iconic player for a while, as the $backer revolutionizing the NFL. I think a lot of people don't realize he fell off pretty hard, and it's still a hip name for a versatile ILB/Safety, even though others did it better.

I would imagine the author thought of this as a big compliment, not a diss.

K9 was pretty early on the idea Deonne was overrated. He made lots of tackless and was "flashy" but it eventually became apparent K9 was right. Lots of tackles downfield, hit the wrong gaps regularly and almost invisible in coverage. 84 career games, 2 INT's, not one in the last 30 + games played. It's pretty apparent why we never moved him to safety

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he is a luxury item when we need essentials to live. He is risky. He is at a non-premium position. I have a tough time putting any ILB in front of Okudah, Wirfs, and Derrick Brown considering where our roster is at this point in time.

All that said, I love him. I think he is a unique and special player who create some problems for opposing offenses.

If we somehow came out of free agency with Jack Conklin, Calais Campbell, and traded a 2021 1st for Stefon Diggs? In that scenario, I can see rationale in drafting Simmons at 8.

a luxury item? TEs put up career numbers against us. It’s essential we take them away, especially the TEs in this division

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
a luxury item? TEs put up career numbers against us. It’s essential we take them away, especially the TEs in this division
If you have to spend the #8 overall pick or spend 10 mil on a LB in free agency to cover a TE, you shouldn't coach defense.

TEs in this division...there is one legit one and his name is Kittle. The others are a Hollister and a Higbee...neither should demand a player that is going to cost as much a Simmons or Littleton. That all said, again, if we get a premium RT, DE, and WR...I think we can make the investment.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have to spend the #8 overall pick or spend 10 mil on a LB in free agency to cover a TE, you shouldn't coach defense.

TEs in this division...there is one legit one and his name is Kittle. The others are a Hollister and a Higbee...neither should demand a player that is going to cost as much a Simmons or Littleton. That all said, again, if we get a premium RT, DE, and WR...I think we can make the investment.

If you spend the #8 pick fixing the biggest problem on your team, why is that a problem?

Also, I think you are forgetting about other good TEs out there like Kelce or even a healthy Zack Ertz.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Kittle is elite and we face him twice a year. TE's in general are really being implemented more in passing schemes by OC's throughout the league because most can beat LB coverage fairly easily. Especially against us. There is no one on this roster at present who can do it consistently. Baker is the closest we have and he has multiple responsibilities. There needs to be another option. FA or draft capital. It has to be done.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’ll agree with the problems that having Joseph as your DC are a lot because of him. I still say Keim & Michael are ********* for keeping him & kicking the can down the road again. It’s foolish imo because of his track record elsewhere.

But, think of how pretty good our defenses were when we had Los & DWeed at ILB. Take the best player on your board period.

If he’s there & we pass, we will regret it. Look outside of just the division games, it’s a 16 game season. It’s our #1 issue as we speak

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think the Buchannon comparison is more about the versatility that he has. Simmons is likely to be better at most things that Deone was, but he should bring a similar type of versatility.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I think Simmons can cover better than Bucannon... I mean he actually has coverage skills lol

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you want to win a SB you need a ILB that can cover a TE or a RB, Simmons looks like he can.

But if you face the KC you need to cover a TE and a RB and at least 3 WR so basically you need 2 good CB a ILB and a Saftey that can get it done.

I would argue that PP21, Murray, Buda could be enough to solve the 2 WR + RB problem, but still the #2 WR and Kelce if healthy or healthy enough would kill us, so we need that ILB that can cover, and Hicks isn't that guy, and really only a few ILB can cover well so drafting simmons makes a lot of sense and then hope that Alford is good at #2 or Jones or we draft another CB or whatever.

But hoping that your DL can catch/sack Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, LJ, Watson, Newton, to a degree Prescott, Haskins, Brisett, Allen, Jones and Mayfield, when a TE and a RB run open in your backfield, is asine.

You need to stop your opponent, so that your offense can win the game. And that is crucial if you want to win.

If your opponent can score 40+ on you, your offense needs to be on a really good day to survive that. If your D holds them to ~28 your O has a chane to win and if your D keeps them below 20 your O should win.

But at the moment, we couldn't hold Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson to under 30, and for Lamar we need that fast ILB that spy on him and gets him.

So in my view, it might not be the sexiest move, but taking Simmons if he checks the boxes is the best move we could make. Stopping the opponent TE and have a fast spy for the super mobile QB is very crucial if we want to have a chance for the postseason an in the playoffs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you spend the #8 pick fixing the biggest problem on your team, why is that a problem?

Also, I think you are forgetting about other good TEs out there like Kelce or even a healthy Zack Ertz.
Our biggest problem is protecting and ensuring the development of Kyler Murray. End of story.

Also, if I am building a roster, I am prioritizing improving my roster vs the majority rather than the minority.

Kelce
Hooper
Ertz
Andrews
Kittle
Henry

That is 6 teams in the entire NFL where you can argue the benefit of using the #8 pick in the draft to take a player if that player was guaranteed to shut out the TE. There are some young players who may elevate to that level, but are not there yet. The only problem is that there is no guarantee that Simmons will be able to cover these elite TEs. We can be confident that he can cover the Greg Olsen's of the NFL (unless the scheme leaves TEs open), but that shouldn't require the number 8 pick to accomplish.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you want to win a SB you need a ILB that can cover a TE or a RB, Simmons looks like he can.

But if you face the KC you need to cover a TE and a RB and at least 3 WR so basically you need 2 good CB a ILB and a Saftey that can get it done.

I would argue that PP21, Murray, Buda could be enough to solve the 2 WR + RB problem, but still the #2 WR and Kelce if healthy or healthy enough would kill us, so we need that ILB that can cover, and Hicks isn't that guy, and really only a few ILB can cover well so drafting simmons makes a lot of sense and then hope that Alford is good at #2 or Jones or we draft another CB or whatever.

But hoping that your DL can catch/sack Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes, LJ, Watson, Newton, to a degree Prescott, Haskins, Brisett, Allen, Jones and Mayfield, when a TE and a RB run open in your backfield, is asine.

You need to stop your opponent, so that your offense can win the game. And that is crucial if you want to win.

If your opponent can score 40+ on you, your offense needs to be on a really good day to survive that. If your D holds them to ~28 your O has a chane to win and if your D keeps them below 20 your O should win.

But at the moment, we couldn't hold Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson to under 30, and for Lamar we need that fast ILB that spy on him and gets him.

So in my view, it might not be the sexiest move, but taking Simmons if he checks the boxes is the best move we could make. Stopping the opponent TE and have a fast spy for the super mobile QB is very crucial if we want to have a chance for the postseason an in the playoffs.
This is a pretty bold statement and I would love to hear some statistics that back it up.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Folks going to be mad as hell when Simmons won’t be able to cover a TE & realize it’s a Vance Joseph problem like it was in Denver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard