Dbacks sign OF Kole Calhoun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you have proof? You and BC continue to toss this around as if you have conducted some sort of scientific study to prove this out.
Having played competitive baseball through college and a couple of years after, I have never witnessed someone getting injured simply because, on occasion, they switched between 2B and CF.

Not "on occasion". Quite often. And considering that the positions put different strains on different muscle groups, it is common sense that it contributed to the injury, if not outright caused it. While I don't have scientific proof, I have personally experienced the strain in moving back and forth between second base and right field from my playing days. I have also experienced it in other sports.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not "on occasion". Quite often. And considering that the positions put different strains on different muscle groups, it is common sense that it contributed to the injury, if not outright caused it. While I don't have scientific proof, I have personally experienced the strain in moving back and forth between second base and right field from my playing days. I have also experienced it in other sports.

Utter B.S. I played SS and RF. And of course the movements are different. However, any injury that is/was incurred was STRICTLY the result of playing that specific position and NOT somehow associated with being shifted from one position to another...

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Utter B.S. I played SS and RF. And of course the movements are different. However, any injury that is/was incurred was STRICTLY the result of playing that specific position and NOT somehow associated with being shifted from one position to another...
I'm impressed you never rolled your ankle walking out to the outfield. It seems like it must happen a lot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Interesting. You proclaim "Utter B.S.", then ADMIT my premise, then just utter the opposite conclusion with zero supporting facts or principles. Hmmm...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Interesting. You proclaim "Utter B.S.", then ADMIT my premise, then just utter the opposite conclusion with zero supporting facts or principles. Hmmm...

Wrong... again. Your "premise" is that because a second baseman moves differently than a center fielder, that this is what caused Marte's injury.
And, you're wrong as well in stating I offer "zero supporting facts." As I mentioned, I played competitive ball for a significant portion of my life. In college, I was frequently shifted between SS and RF. I never suffered an injury as a result of playing both positions and I never saw anyone else suffer an injury due to playing more than one position.
I did suffer a few injuries playing SS (runners taking me out at second base)... I saw other players get hurt diving for balls, or catchers getting crushed at home plate by an oncoming runner... None of which is the result of playing more than one position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Hazen ever going to be interested in a hitter who can, you know...hit?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is Hazen ever going to be interested in a hitter who can, you know...hit?
With managers and hitters obsessed with lift . . . and hitting into the shift . . . for a few extra HR's,
is any average hitter a hitter nowadays?

But I agree with your point. RF is supposed to be a power position. Which, to me, means RBI's.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With managers and hitters obsessed with lift . . . and hitting into the shift . . . for a few extra HR's,
is any average hitter a hitter nowadays?

But I agree with your point. RF is supposed to be a power position. Which, to me, means RBI's.

And more to the point, 2B is supposed to be a reliable contact hitter to all fields, which is pretty much the opposite of Brian Dozier.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could see Dozier as a one year stop gap but he is old. Starlin Castro must be pricing himself out of market as he along with Castellanos are arguably the best two hitters left on the FA market.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calhoun - 15 HR 36 RBI .894 OPS - $6,000,000 Salary (Signed through 2022)
Ozuna - 15 HR, 48 RBI, 1.005 OPS - $18,000,000 Salary - Free Agent after 2020)
Castellanos - 13 HR, 30 RBI, .806 OPS - $16,000,000 Salary - Can opt out after 2020 and 2021, owed $66M through 2024 not including 2020

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Calhoun - 15 HR 36 RBI .894 OPS - $6,000,000 Salary (Signed through 2022)
Ozuna - 15 HR, 48 RBI, 1.005 OPS - $18,000,000 Salary - Free Agent after 2020)
Castellanos - 13 HR, 30 RBI, .806 OPS - $16,000,000 Salary - Can opt out after 2020 and 2021, owed $66M through 2024 not including 2020

Given the length of this season, I would not expect him to continue this pace over 162. Having said that, the price is what sells this move.

For now it has worked. I think it would be best tio see this thing through the entire contract and see if it really was some otherworldly get.

Right now he is one of the few reasons to even watch so I guess that's something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave