Dbacks sign OF Kole Calhoun

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It has already been reported that despite initial interest, he ultimately did not pursue Castellanos or Garcia. Reports on Marte have varied.

Do you have links to those "reports?" Perhaps he felt the money wasn't worth it to use on Castellanos or Garcia... and, grabbing Calhoun is likely just one step in the process. Hazen still has $$ left to use for a high-quality CF or 2B, which he likely wouldn't have had had he done a deal for Castellanos or Garcia...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you have links to those "reports?" Perhaps he felt the money wasn't worth it to use on Castellanos or Garcia... and, grabbing Calhoun is likely just one step in the process. Hazen still has $$ left to use for a high-quality CF or 2B, which he likely wouldn't have had had he done a deal for Castellanos or Garcia...

It's been discussed at length on the various KTAR shows.

And yes, like not going after Ozuna, cost has been the motivating factor.

But you get what you pay for...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
But you get what you pay for...

NOT always. I like impact signings as much as the next guy, but sometimes you can get a lot of production from a young player you weren't expecting or is on the cusp of breaking through. They may feel one, two or more position players can crack the opening 25 man roster and produce.

They made their big contract addition this season, and it made sense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hazen has been wise not to throw away money. Given the track record of Ozuna and Castellanos he probably sided against handing out 4-5 years deals with talented OF’s in the system.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NOT always. I like impact signings as much as the next guy, but sometimes you can get a lot of production from a young player you weren't expecting or is on the cusp of breaking through. They may feel one, two or more position players can crack the opening 25 man roster and produce.

They made their big contract addition this season, and it made sense.

The problem is they really have no outfield or second base prospects anywhere near ready to play, let alone contribute, at the MLB level. If Rojas, Vargas and Leyba (who shouldn't even be on the 40-man roster, let alone in the line-up) get more than a handful of starts, and if Locastro gets more than, say, 20-30, this lineup is in serious trouble.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hazen has been wise not to throw away money. Given the track record of Ozuna and Castellanos he probably sided against handing out 4-5 years deals with talented OF’s in the system.

We definitely have talented OFs in the system, but they are at least 2-3 years away.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ketel Marte is a perfect example of getting more than what you pay for(and Goldschmidt before him). Anyone that follows this team knows we are not going to be able to compete throwing big money around . Comparing Calhoun to Souza is fine with me, it indicates that Hazen has a pretty good idea of what he wants out of that position. And by most accounts Hazen is still in on Starling Marte .

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ketel Marte is a perfect example of getting more than what you pay for(and Goldschmidt before him). Anyone that follows this team knows we are not going to be able to compete throwing big money around . Comparing Calhoun to Souza is fine with me, it indicates that Hazen has a pretty good idea of what he wants out of that position. And by most accounts Hazen is still in on Starling Marte .

Actually, reports are that the Mets are finalizing a trade for Starling Marte.

And what concerns me most is Hazen trying to build this team like the Red Sox, rather than the NL team that it is. NL teams need to be able to play small ball and not be so dependent on the home run. Souza was far better suited to the AL than the NL. So is Calhoun.

And I'm not necessarily saying throw careless money around. Just don't get cheap and bring in a poor fit for the sake of $$$.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We definitely have talented OFs in the system, but they are at least 2-3 years away.

They’ll have to mix and match with Varsho, Beer and Smith. I think it’ll be Varsho in 2021 then Tomas and Ray are off the books and they can spend. Unfortunately there’s not much in terms of sure things past 2020 besides Escobar and Marte. I think Kelly and Walker are due for some regression. Jury’s still out on both but I do feel Kelly is legit.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They’ll have to mix and match with Varsho, Beer and Smith. I think it’ll be Varsho in 2021 then Tomas and Ray are off the books and they can spend. Unfortunately there’s not much in terms of sure things past 2020 besides Escobar and Marte. I think Kelly and Walker are due for some regression. Jury’s still out on both but I do feel Kelly is legit.

Varsho has never played the outfield in his professional career and is still at least a year away as a hitter. Beer is strictly a 1B/DH and is still at least 2 years away as a hitter. If by Smith you mean Pavin Smith, he is strictly a 1B and is at least a year away. The 40 man roster is entirely barren in terms of MLB capable starting outfielders and second baseman, outside of Peralta, Ketel Marte, Escobar (if you move him to 2B and leave a gaping hole at 3B) and (sort of) Calhoun.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Varsho has never played the outfield in his professional career and is still at least a year away as a hitter. Beer is strictly a 1B/DH and is still at least 2 years away as a hitter. If by Smith you mean Pavin Smith, he is strictly a 1B and is at least a year away. The 40 man roster is entirely barren in terms of MLB capable starting outfielders and second baseman, outside of Peralta, Ketel Marte and (sort of) Calhoun.

Varsho has played a handful of games in the OF. I think maybe 35 or so in the minors but they should get him more experience there. Beer has played about 70+ games in the OF bit I’m more concerned about his offense at this point.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So someone that hit 33 home runs, and has been a Gold Glove finalist 4 years in a row is barely an OF?

okaaaaaaaay

Hazen still has money to spend. Judge the roster when ST hits

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The problem is they really have no outfield or second base prospects anywhere near ready to play, let alone contribute, at the MLB level. If Rojas, Vargas and Leyba (who shouldn't even be on the 40-man roster, let alone in the line-up) get more than a handful of starts, and if Locastro gets more than, say, 20-30, this lineup is in serious trouble.
Locastro is a good utility outfielder and has a good chance to produce over what Dyson did. They will mtl indeed add another positional signing, but they won't offer anything very long term. That leaves them with fewer options. In the meantime they're high on Rojas who started out well then slipped. If they can get his OBP up he'll get his shot. Varsho could surprise. Cron and Beer could press for a spot, but are positionally limited right now. There could be a trade partner still.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Locastro is a good utility outfielder and has a good chance to produce over what Dyson did. They will mtl indeed add another positional signing, but they won't offer anything very long term. That leaves them with fewer options. In the meantime they're high on Rojas who started out well then slipped. If they can get his OBP up he'll get his shot. Varsho could surprise. Cron and Beer could press for a spot, but are positionally limited right now. There could be a trade partner still.

At this point, any outfield prospect besides Carroll and Robinson should be fair game in a trade, as should at least one, if not two, of Pavin Smith, Cron and Beer. In addition, Varsho might be expendable if they believe Carson Kelly is their long term catcher.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
At this point, any outfield prospect besides Carroll and Robinson should be fair game in a trade, as should at least one, if not two, of Pavin Smith, Cron and Beer. In addition, Varsho might be expendable if they believe Carson Kelly is their long term catcher.
They'll keep Varsho as insurance if Kelly or Vogt are injured. He'll get plenty of OF work in ST also. They'd have to get a good young solid CF/2B candidate who's ready to go to move him along with a few of the others, imo. They'd have to have a higher ceiling then Vargas and as good or better right now. Interesting part will be if Lamb starts out well, how they will play that against RHP? He could wind up the starter at 3B with Escobar moving to 2nd, then back to 3rd vs. lefties with Marte at 2B. Locastro would then be starting the CF against LHP with Rojas and Varsho being in the mix as well, if there is no other OF trade/signing.

OF vs. RHP is solid ~ Peralta, Marte, Calhoun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They'll keep Varsho as insurance if Kelly or Vogt are injured. He'll get plenty of OF work in ST also. They'd have to get a good young solid CF/2B candidate who's ready to go to move him along with a few of the others, imo. They'd have to have a higher ceiling then Vargas and as good or better right now. Interesting part will be if Lamb starts out well, how they will play that against RHP? He could wind up the starter at 3B with Escobar moving to 2nd, then back to 3rd vs. lefties with Marte at 2B. Locastro would then be starting the CF against LHP with Rojas and Varsho being in the mix as well, if there is no other OF trade/signing.

OF vs. RHP is solid ~ Peralta, Marte, Calhoun

Lamb is beyond done, as the last two seasons showed. Rojas is garbage, and last season showed. Varsho is at least two years away, as last season showed. And the mix and match line-ups are a disaster, as the last three seasons have showed.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Lamb is beyond done, as the last two seasons showed. Rojas is garbage, and last season showed. Varsho is at least two years away, as last season showed. And the mix and match line-ups are a disaster, as the last three seasons have showed.
Doubt the FO feels the way you do about Lamb or the youngsters. They are capable and every viable franchise has to develop from within and add intelligently. They've learned their lessons in that department hopefully.

I'll grant that moving Marte and Escobar isn't ideal but most play matchup Ball today and they are more than adept and capable of playing that way.

Remember the Dodgers are mostly destroying everyone right now, not just the division.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Doubt the FO feels the way you do about Lamb or the youngsters. They are capable and every viable franchise has to develop from within and add intelligently. They've learned their lessons in that department hopefully.

I'll grant that moving Marte and Escobar isn't ideal but most play matchup Ball today and they are more than adept and capable of playing that way.

Remember the Dodgers are mostly destroying everyone right now, not just the division.

Just remember that the moving back and forth got Marte hurt. And Lamb is now 29 years old, not anywhere near a youngster in baseball terms...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just remember that the moving back and forth got Marte hurt. And Lamb is now 29 years old, not anywhere near a youngster in baseball terms...

Do you have proof? You and BC continue to toss this around as if you have conducted some sort of scientific study to prove this out.
Having played competitive baseball through college and a couple of years after, I have never witnessed someone getting injured simply because, on occasion, they switched between 2B and CF.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose