Team Captain

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I suggest that it would have a very positive domino effect for the Suns
to name a Team Captain. Who would that be? Devin Booker, of course.

It would give recognition to the best candidate to mentor young and
new players, now that he is a (young) veteran. And make official that
Book is the leader of the team's players. And ease his transition back
to Shooting Guard following his running the Point last season. It would
also give him official recognition throughout the League.

The positive domino effect?

That Ricky Rubio, as Point Guard, is the leader of the offense -- the
'coach on the court' as the saying goes.

And that Deandre Ayton, as the only #1 pick in Suns history, is a focal
point at Center. But, especially following his indiscretion, he is not the
team spokesman. It seemed that the Press approached him as often
as, if not more than, Booker during Ayton's s rookie season.

And that Aron Baynes, with his emergence as a star on the team and
as a focal point at Center, is the elder statesman among the players.

And that Kelly Oubre is clearly our 'cheerleader' on the court with his
natural enthusiasm. Have we ever seen an NBA player who does some
pushups after getting knocked down? That is a positive reaction.

It would be official recognition for Booker and unofficial recognition
for Rubio, Ayton, Baynes and Oubre. Without any of them stepping
on each other's toes. A solid 'pecking order'.

And, let's face it, motivation for Booker to not show displeasure with
the progress of the team, as one of our posters commented recently.
It is important that Devin, as our star player, sets a total positive
demeanor, which he has clearly done most of the time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Captains change every game. For example, the captain on Friday was Frank Kaminsky.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Captains change every game. For example, the captain on Friday was Frank Kaminsky.
Thanks for that info, but I'd still rather see a permanent Captain, specifically Book.

Does the performance of Frank The Tank so far really warrant recognition?

In other words, a responsibility rather than a temporary, rotating honorary title.

Sort of like promoting people based on seniority (like the military) versus than
by qualifications (private industry).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker has been captain in the past. I'm not sure when or how it changes, if it's when a new coach is hired or for the new season but most NBA teams don't have captains this year. It used to be a rule where only the team's captain was allowed to talk to the refs but that isn't something that's been enforced for quite some time and I believe it's no longer a rule.

Regardless of when it changes and what they do, I really think you're reaching with the idea it would have a positive domino effect in the way you listed. I really don't understand how Booker being named captain makes Rubio the "coach on the court" as the primary PG, makes Ayton a focal point, or Baynes the elder statesmen. Why aren't they viewed that way currently and how does Booker being captain matter?

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker has been captain in the past. I'm not sure when or how it changes, if it's when a new coach is hired or for the new season but most NBA teams don't have captains this year. It used to be a rule where only the team's captain was allowed to talk to the refs but that isn't something that's been enforced for quite some time and I believe it's no longer a rule.

Regardless of when it changes and what they do, I really think you're reaching with the idea it would have a positive domino effect in the way you listed. I really don't understand how Booker being named captain makes Rubio the "coach on the court" as the primary PG, makes Ayton a focal point, or Baynes the elder statesmen. Why aren't they viewed that way currently and how does Booker being captain matter?

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. The other names mentioned already fit those roles informally.

But Devin might do, or try to do, things in a leadership capacity if he were honored with the title.

Things like mentoring young players, now that he is both young and a veteran. And perhaps
deciding if things that are bothering a player would best be escalated to management.

I didn't realize that Book was captain in the past. There were so many things about the Suns
that were on and off. Lack of continuity.

Which is why I support him as permanent captain, as they do in baseball. In the past, some
have served for a decade.

And, frankly, to offset the picture of Book being elevated to Point Guard, then back to
Shooting Guard. As the best scorer on the Suns and one of the best in the league. And
working on defense. And, yes, the "lead" among the players.

Also, as I mentioned, to influence the Press to seek him out for interviews as the leader,
versus Ayton, especially coming off this bad period of his career. Pressure should not be
on Ayton to be an instant LeBron to the public.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Team captain makes a little more sense in hockey, where more players dress for the game and the coach is never on the ice. Although the shifts change so rapidly in hockey that the captain, even as a minutes leader, is on the ice less than half the game.

If the Suns were to name a captain it would make sense for it to be Booker, though if the players vote you might get a glue guy as captain (especially if the star doesn't want/need it).