Ricky Rubio agrees to deal with Suns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, gonna take a lot more than just monty imo . . .

The first hurdle is him wanting out of LA. I think that's a real long shot. The second hurdle is the Suns/Rich Paul relationship which might not matter much given our GM's relationship with Lebron and Paul. And if we can get past those two issues, I see no reason that we couldn't make a solid case for him to come to Phoenix. He and Booker have the Kentucky connection, Monty coached him for his first 3 seasons and with Ayton here he won't have to play the 5 full time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The first hurdle is him wanting out of LA. I think that's a real long shot. The second hurdle is the Suns/Rich Paul relationship which might not matter much given our GM's relationship with Lebron and Paul. And if we can get past those two issues, I see no reason that we couldn't make a solid case for him to come to Phoenix. He and Booker have the Kentucky connection, Monty coached him for his first 3 seasons and with Ayton here he won't have to play the 5 full time.
I think you all fail to recognize the extent of sarvers rep among players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and incredibly overrate "the Kentucky connection". they never even played together so I'm not sure what "connection" there really is. I mean, we know there's a connection with Booker and KAT but that's because they actually played together.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and incredibly overrate "the Kentucky connection". they never even played together so I'm not sure what "connection" there really is. I mean, we know there's a connection with Booker and KAT but that's because they actually played together.
Agreed. They may like that each other are fellow alums but that’s about it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I just disagree on his reputation with players. From what I've heard, multiple times, he has a pretty good relationship with the players that have suited up for the Suns (such as the twins, IT, Dragic, Hill, Nash etc). About the only ex Suns player that I can recall ripping him is Jalen Rose and his comments have been all about the mess he made in Phoenix, not from knowing him as a person.

Sarver's reputation with the media, NBA fans in general and maybe with other owners and front office people probably does make it more of a challenge but I think it's fairly minor. If we are competitive and look to be a team on the rise, I like our chances as much as any of the teams other than the Lakers and maybe one or two of the glamor franchises.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis coming to the Suns would be like Charles Barkley all over again. Fans would go crazy.

There would have to be a parade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless I've missed it I don't think the Kentucky connection has been pushed very hard on Davis. And no, they didn't play together but Kentucky has a very family-like relationship with the coach and former players. They all know each other fairly well. I've heard nothing to suggest Booker and he have the kind of relationship that would bring Davis to Phoenix but I would expect it to be enough to open the conversation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No, I just disagree on his reputation with players. From what I've heard, multiple times, he has a pretty good relationship with the players that have suited up for the Suns (such as the twins, IT, Dragic, Hill, Nash etc). About the only ex Suns player that I can recall ripping him is Jalen Rose and his comments have been all about the mess he made in Phoenix, not from knowing him as a person.

Sarver's reputation with the media, NBA fans in general and maybe with other owners and front office people probably does make it more of a challenge but I think it's fairly minor. If we are competitive and look to be a team on the rise, I like our chances as much as any of the teams other than the Lakers and maybe one or two of the glamor franchises.

But that's the point!. The players aren't here to be Robert Sarver's personal friends.

They are influenced by "the mess he made in Phoenix", not how he treats his friends.

That is, and should be, how potential players evaluate playing for the people in authority.

Sarver finally stopped trying to micro-manage the whole team. But it will take time for
potential employees to be convinced that it is for real.

His recent comment about the triangle of communications he has with the GM and Head
Coach (reminiscent of meeting regularly with Jeff Hornacek and the General Manager to
discuss game plans) doesn't help the situation. Even if it only Sarver's bloated ego talking.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is was kind of under the impression that Rich Paul had the big problems with McD, not Sarver. Might be wrong though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that's the point!. The players aren't here to be Robert Sarver's personal friends.

They are influenced by "the mess he made in Phoenix", not how he treats his friends.

That is, and should be, how potential players evaluate playing for the people in authority.

Sarver finally stopped trying to micro-manage the whole team. But it will take time for
potential employees to be convinced that it is for real.

His recent comment about the triangle of communications he has with the GM and Head
Coach (reminiscent of meeting regularly with Jeff Hornacek and the General Manager to
discuss game plans) doesn't help the situation. Even if it only Sarver's bloated ego talking.
You are reading way too much into the triangle of Communications comment. An owner/managing general partner—he is not just an investor, he is the CEO of this team—has to be in on the communication. He signs the checks after all.

listen, I know you want Sarver to just walk away. I am no fan of his either. But he still has to do his job while he is here.

Back to Sarver and the players. I really do not know of Sarver having a bad relationship with players. If anything, he has gotten too close to players and then they got really miffed when McD played hard ball with them or failed to communicate.

whatever the case. We are going to have a window with free agency we did not have before. Winning, a young core, Monty, and a pass first point guard can be powerful recruiting tools.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You are reading way too much into the triangle of Communications comment. An owner/managing general partner—he is not just an investor, he is the CEO of this team—has to be in on the communication. He signs the checks after all.

listen, I know you want Sarver to just walk away. I am no fan of his either. But he still has to do his job while he is here.

Back to Sarver and the players. I really do not know of Sarver having a bad relationship with players. If anything, he has gotten too close to players and then they got really miffed when McD played hard ball with them or failed to communicate.

whatever the case. We are going to have a window with free agency we did not have before. Winning, a young core, Monty, and a pass first point guard can be powerful recruiting tools.

That is not true, JC. That is absolutely not true! Jason Rowley has
the title of CEO and President of the Suns, not Robert Sarver.

Sarver's jurisdiction is as Managing Partner of the investor group.
They oversee income and expenses. They are bankers.

But he crossed the line and became involved in the technical side
of the team, with no expertise to back it up, rather than just as
the bean counter. He actually played General Manager at one time.

And, as we've seen, he did it for egotistical reasons, evidently
trying to become an instant celebrity. Remember, Jerry started
as General Manager, and eventually became Managing Partner.

Even the celebrities who invested in the Suns 50 years ago --
Andy Williams, Ed Ames and Bobbie Gentry -- were just that,
investors. Not one of them tried to call attention to themselves
or participate in the day-to-day decision making of the team.

Aren't you troubled by Sarver's 'triangle of communications'
comment? He supposedly moved on from that. Evidently not.

As the League adjusts to the new Suns and our surprising start
(with an early home court advantage) settles into middle of the
pack, keep your eye on Sarver. History says that his meddling
will return.

If it hasn't already.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would take a look at how Conley is doing in Utah. Based on the numbers, it looks like they made the wrong choice at PG. All of Conley's numbers are down and Rubio is outplaying him from afar. Rubio averages more than 1 rebound, almost twice as many assists, twice the steals, and is even shooting better than Conley. The shooting really surprised me.

This makes me glad we didn't trade for Conley and decided to sign Rubio. I didn't think Rubio would be playing that much better than Conley, at least based on the stats, especially without Ayton here.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://bkref.com/tiny/gS9mI

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Thought I would take a look at how Conley is doing in Utah. Based on the numbers, it looks like they made the wrong choice at PG. All of Conley's numbers are down and Rubio is outplaying him from afar. Rubio averages more than 1 rebound, almost twice as many assists, twice the steals, and is even shooting better than Conley. The shooting really surprised me.

This makes me glad we didn't trade for Conley and decided to sign Rubio. I didn't think Rubio would be playing that much better than Conley, at least based on the stats, especially without Ayton here.

Oh yeah, Rubio was a solid signing. The only thing getting in the way of last summer being the perfect remake is Ayton's immaturity.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The grass is not always greener.

Plus the Jazz gave up two first round picks and others in the trade for Conley. I liked Jae Crowder.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The grass is not always greener.

Plus the Jazz gave up two first round picks and others in the trade for Conley. I liked Jae Crowder.
Plus they are paying him $32M a year for two more years. That's twice what Rubio is taking home this year. Oubre is making just under $16M.

So we essentially are paying Oubre and Rubio for the same price as Utah is paying Conley.

James Jones looks like a genius with these moves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus they are paying him $32M a year for two more years. That's twice what Rubio is taking home this year. Oubre is making just under $16M.

So we essentially are paying Oubre and Rubio for the same price as Utah is paying Conley.

James Jones looks like a genius with these moves.

It feels good.

Now if only Jones had drafted Jaxson Hayes at #6 and Cam Johnson at #24.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ricky Rubio signing is looking better and better.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an update to my previous post the Jazz will move Ingles to the bench instead of Conley.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Quinn Snyder could be losing the locker room.

It's hard to imagine it happening as Synder seems so in control but it sounds like something is going on. The Jazz are not playing like the past Utah teams I know.

Also Shams is usually on target the first time around.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Ricky Rubio signing is looking better and better.

Huh? Because Conley is washed signing Rubio is a good move? Rubio has been ok, but certainly hasn't moved the needle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Because Conley is washed signing Rubio is a good move? Rubio has been ok, but certainly hasn't moved the needle.

I was contrasting it with the Conley signing. After the All-Star break Rubio has been very good. I think he needed a break after the World Cup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose