David Johnson

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's still valuable, but it's obvious he's lost his burst. I attribute it to the David Boston school of weight training, minus the roids. Did you see the size of his arms in the presser? More mass, less agility, slower acceleration. Simple physics.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long striders always look slower on TV.

Watch the guy trying to cover or keep up.

Compare it to the TD against the Saints his rookie year where he looked like Carl Lewis and I think hit 23 or 24 MPH.

In that case there was nobody to compare it too when he caught it there was nobody within 25 yards(the announcer said 40).

He's still a very good player and he has a back issue but he looked really slow on that play.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
On his receiving ability alone DJ is easily a top 10 RB in the league. He has a nose for the endzone as well.
Despite our putrid OL units over the years DJ has been money at the goalline. Coupled with his receiving skills this puts him into top 5 conversation.

It's true that he doesn't look as spry as in the past. But I don't think it's anything physical, but adjusting to a new scheme and new blocking patterns. Not as decisive as he should be. But he will get better with time.

When watching his ball skills you would think that he could have been developed into a legit NFL #2 WR. So he is basically your starting RB who gives you #2 WR production besides. Pretty good if you ask me. In a league which is all about mismatches, DJ gives the defense headaches.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On his receiving ability alone DJ is easily a top 10 RB in the league. He has a nose for the endzone as well.
Despite our putrid OL units over the years DJ has been money at the goalline. Coupled with his receiving skills this puts him into top 5 conversation.

It's true that he doesn't look as spry as in the past. But I don't think it's anything physical, but adjusting to a new scheme and new blocking patterns. Not as decisive as he should be. But he will get better with time.

When watching his ball skills you would think that he could have been developed into a legit NFL #2 WR. So he is basically your starting RB who gives you #2 WR production besides. Pretty good if you ask me. In a league which is all about mismatches, DJ gives the defense headaches.

I think that's the key he's NOT a traditional RB. The one great year he was both a great traditional RB and a great receiver. Now he's a great receiver, a solid RB and he can score inside the 1 yard line although honestly as a owner of his in fantasy thus far this year his rate on such plays doesn't seem great.

Kliff is finding ways to make him very useful he's still a very good player but it's now 15 games since his last 100 yard game and he's really only come close to 100 in 3 of those games(one was 98 for example).

totally different body type but we're using him now almost like how Coryell used Terry Metcalf(without the returns).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's the key he's NOT a traditional RB. The one great year he was both a great traditional RB and a great receiver. Now he's a great receiver, a solid RB and he can score inside the 1 yard line although honestly as a owner of his in fantasy thus far this year his rate on such plays doesn't seem great.

Kliff is finding ways to make him very useful he's still a very good player but it's now 15 games since his last 100 yard game and he's really only come close to 100 in 3 of those games(one was 98 for example).

totally different body type but we're using him now almost like how Coryell used Terry Metcalf(without the returns).

Even in 2016, DJ only had 4 games with 100 yards or more rushing and he had 5 games with more receiving yards than rushing yards. David Johnson has never been a pure running RB. it's the fact that he is just as dangerous running as receiving that makes DJ elite.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even in 2016, DJ only had 4 games with 100 yards or more rushing and he had 5 games with more receiving yards than rushing yards. David Johnson has never been a pure running RB. it's the fact that he is just as dangerous running as receiving that makes DJ elite.

exacty... in addition to his nose for the end zone.

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree, he’s a good pass catcher, average running back and average blocker. He was a WR in high school or whatever.
I would draft a RB in next draft to replace Johnson though, honestly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed but he had 6 games that year over 80 but under 100 so 11 total games over 80 yards. Last year and this combined, he has 4. Still a great player but he's not a great runner anymore IMO. Very good yes, not great. Which is ok because Chase is picking up slack there and the 2 RB stuff is making us lethal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Also with just a couple big running days and a couple big receiving days for the remainder of the year and 1K/1K looks like an actual possibility.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His role is changing, but he's still being productive. His role as a primary ball carrier is diminishing, however he is still making catches and being productive, I like Edmonds and his new roles.
This. He is being used correctly by KK, I believe. Less touches in the backfield with more pass catching ops. It's a nice blend...even more so as the season goes along

Reaction score
He's still valuable, but it's obvious he's lost his burst. I attribute it to the David Boston school of weight training, minus the roids. Did you see the size of his arms in the presser? More mass, less agility, slower acceleration. Simple physics.
I think you nailed it! DJ's affinity for the weight room has been documented. He need's an elite strength/conditioning coach to get through to him that continuing to increase his bulk/mass, is not in his best interest.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Also with just a couple big running days and a couple big receiving days for the remainder of the year and 1K/1K looks like an actual possibility.
I will be happy with 800, 800 or 900,900.

Right now he has 298 rushing yds, 315 recieving yds, and 5 total touchdowns.

That is EXACTLY what I thought it would look like when I checked.

I will take about 800 yards rushing, 800 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns for the season.

Add what Edmunds brings to those stats and that is a pretty good stat line for the running back position.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think you nailed it! DJ's affinity for the weight room has been documented. He need's an elite strength/conditioning coach to get through to him that continuing to increase his bulk/mass, is not in his best interest.
I disagree.

I think his size makes him a mis-match in the receiving game, because he can "out body" dbs and linebackers.

Plus, and I know this is not exciting, it helps his blocking, which is an asset for this team.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
1st off they were going against Atlanta - one, if not, of the worst NFL defenses in the league...so simmer down.

I will just use your wet blanket to simmer down.

Your response is great.....not really what the post was about, but hey good points for whatever conversation you had.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree.

I think his size makes him a mis-match in the receiving game, because he can "out body" dbs and linebackers.

Plus, and I know this is not exciting, it helps his blocking, which is an asset for this team.

He was more of a mismatch without the extra mass. He was already a big back. His speed is more important to us than enhanced blocking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exacty... in addition to his nose for the end zone.

It's early but in 16 he scored on roughly every 4th redzone carry he had, 14 in 53. This year he has 2 TD's in 14 carries or a TD every 7 carries. Which IMO is why Kliff is throwing to him more often he recognizes he's much more effective down there as a hybrid WR or TE not a RB. He only had 4 receiving TD's in 2016, he's already got 3 this year, only 2 rushing TD's, had 16 in 2016.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was more of a mismatch without the extra mass. He was already a big back. His speed is more important to us than enhanced blocking.
Agreed. Id rather him be back around 210 instead of 225.. but it is what it is.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude was 225 in his rookie year. I would guess he is 240+ now.
It's shows him at 225 currently from what I can find.. but that was after packing back on the lbs from the vegan diet. So he might be even bigger now...his upper body now shows it for sure.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I'd argue that the fact that DJ is not as dangerous running as he is a receiving threat that prevents him from being elite.

He's not among the top 20 problems with the Cards, though, so this is a First-World Problem right now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's shows him at 225 currently from what I can find.. but that was after packing back on the lbs from the vegan diet. So he might be even bigger now...his upper body now shows it for sure.

He looks like a LB. He needs to cut calories and focus on agility exercises. Quick someone find the head trainer.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the play. You're misreading my comment or something. All I said was he seemed to run slowly watching the play vs sprinting when he got the ball.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
You are right. All the people sitting with me commented how he almost appeared to be jogging. Love DJ but he doesn't seem to hit the afterburners and in that situation he has 20+ yards to think about what to do so not sure why he was still in 2nd gear.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA