Cord Cutters

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's LocalBTV's response:

Thanks Jim,

You have our public trial version which works for anyone in Phoenix area. Your friend became a tester so has our tester lineup that includes many more channels. If you want to become a tester you will need to answer a few questions and agree to give us feedback as appropriate.

Would you like to do that?

Team LocalBTV

Here was my original email to them:
Hi, I just signed up for your Phoenix service, but for some reason I'm not seeing the major networks (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC) like the friend that referred me to your app. I've tried the web app, firetv app & android app, but I have the same channel lineup on all of them that starts at 7.1, 7.3 & then goes to 15.2 (skipping over the majors that are on 5.1, 10.1, 12.1 & 15.1). I appreciate any help you can give me & I look forward to using your app.

Jim

They responded about 12 hours after I contacted them last night. I'll keep you updated on their "Tester" requirements.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They responded about 12 hours after I contacted them last night. I'll keep you updated on their "Tester" requirements.
Excellent thx

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I strongly recommend LocalBTV (https://www.localbtv.com/). You can watch online or on a device. It gets all the local channels live for free and you can record, as well (including Channel 3 News).

It's not like those old crappy apps that had popups, terrible service, and a tiny selection of channels. It's really just like turning on a tv with an antenna.

I'm assuming they don't let you skip commercials on the recorded content. If so, this makes a lot of sense for the broadcasters.

The VPN loophole seems like it could cause problems when it comes to sports, though.

How's the quality on a big screen?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Do it! For me, I think I just filled out a survey. I think they just collect data on usage, so you really won’t have to do much, if anything.

The company has been very responsive to me and it sounds like they were to you, too.

Good luck! Looking forward to updates. :)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
BRR, you might want to create an account anyways just in case you need to be a user for a certain amount of time before they give you full access to the major networks.

Good idea. At the very least, you’ll get an email from them when it’s all ready to go with networks.

But it sounds like you can just ask to get in now, which is the way to go if you ask me.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm assuming they don't let you skip commercials on the recorded content. If so, this makes a lot of sense for the broadcasters.

The VPN loophole seems like it could cause problems when it comes to sports, though.

How's the quality on a big screen?

You can skip forward 20 seconds at a time, so you kinda can.

The quality is fine for me, but I’m not really an expert on it. I usually watch Seinfeld, so it’s SD, anyway.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can skip forward 20 seconds at a time, so you kinda can.

The quality is fine for me, but I’m not really an expert on it. I usually watch Seinfeld, so it’s SD, anyway.

sooooooo

is the game in HD? are the players/stats/etc blurry?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
sooooooo

is the game in HD? are the players/stats/etc blurry?

I hadn’t even thought to watch sports on it until you mentioned it, but it would have to be HD. The channels are, for example, the 10.1 version not 10.2, so you get HD not SD. With my antenna, I’d have to watch SD. It’s never been an issue with the app

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t even thought to watch sports on it until you mentioned it, but it would have to be HD. The channels are, for example, the 10.1 version not 10.2, so you get HD not SD. With my antenna, I’d have to watch SD. It’s never been an issue with the app
thx. I need to remember to go on the website tonight and sign up. its blocked at work.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this doesnt work, my buddy bought a tv tuner for his laptop, plugs the coax in and uses this app https://www.nextpvr.com/ and said he records all the games that way and has for years for free. The tuner is about $60 so I want to try localbtv first.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are the tester questions to answer:

1) Does your household currently pay monthly fee for a live TV service such as cable-TV (e.g. Cox); satellite-TV (e.g. Dish) or live TV from SlingTV or YouTubeTV or HuluTV or FuboTV or DirecTV-Now?

Yes or No?

2) Does your household currently use an antenna to watch local broadcast TV in your home?

Yes or No?

3) Will more than 1 person in your household watch TV with PhoenixBTV? Either on their phone or laptop or Roku or AppleTV or Amazon FireTV. If No, just 1 person, that is fine.

Yes or No?

4) Please select the age groups that apply to your PhoenixBTV users, including yourself.

a. 17 years old or younger?

b. 18 to 35 years old?

c. 36 to 55 years old?

d. 55 or older years old?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They activated my "Tester" status & all the major networks are there now.

Thanks again for letting us know about this service :)

Now I just need them to make an Xbox app so I can watch my DVR'd shows on every TV.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now I just need them to make an Xbox app so I can watch my DVR'd shows on every TV.
This

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Cool! I’m glad it worked out. It was nice of you to post the steps here, too, in case anybody else wants to sign up. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now a tester. Went on my phone and already have Sundays game set to record and the show after in case of overtime. Going campiong this weekend, might come back in time for the game or even come back saturday night to work on sunday but if this works, I wont have to rush home anymore. The only problem I will have is when I turn my phone off of airplane mode to watch the game, I will get a bunch of alerts about the game. I guess if I uninstall the cardinals app I wont get those anymore.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kel! Just downloaded the app and sent an email about becoming a tester.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am now a tester. Went on my phone and already have Sundays game set to record and the show after in case of overtime. Going campiong this weekend, might come back in time for the game or even come back saturday night to work on sunday but if this works, I wont have to rush home anymore. The only problem I will have is when I turn my phone off of airplane mode to watch the game, I will get a bunch of alerts about the game. I guess if I uninstall the cardinals app I wont get those anymore.
I'm sure you're already camping, but my Phoenix LocalBTV guide is wrong this week... mine has the Cards playing at 10am, when they're playing at 1pm. If yours was the same then you might record the Chiefs game or whatever Fox is going to show at 10am. I set mine to record from 10am through 5pm so I should get the Cards game if you miss it, but it might be split between 3 recordings because of the screwed up guide.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you're already camping, but my Phoenix LocalBTV guide is wrong this week... mine has the Cards playing at 10am, when they're playing at 1pm. If yours was the same then you might record the Chiefs game or whatever Fox is going to show at 10am. I set mine to record from 10am through 5pm so I should get the Cards game if you miss it, but it might be split between 3 recordings because of the screwed up guide.
I'm back home, left Saturday night end ended up with a blowout on the 87 in the middle of nowhere. That was entertaining.

I just saw the same and hit record on all the time slots to see what happens. When I checked many days ago, it said tbd1-4pm but that is changed too and had me recording from 130 to 430.

We'll see how it turns out and then maybe I should supply the feedback on all the changes that came up and for now, always check the app at the latest possible time to see if the schedule changes

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that online listings like tvguide.com have been wrong a lot lately. I’m not sure why that is, but I’m guessing the original source data is bad for all users.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sony's PS VUE Shutting down. It's a shame. Honestly one of my favorite services until they started jacking up the price constantly. I liked the interface and the DVR options. Some articles I have read are questioning why Sony isn't selling it off verses shutting it down.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/20938533/sony-playstation-vue-live-tv-streaming-shutdown

This news sucks, I am contemplating dumping DirecTV when my contract is up and Vue seemed like a really good option for me.