Cards working out TE's and RB's

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I would like another RB added, but the three listed are not that exciting to me. Seems like there should be some young ones on practice squads that would offer more potential than these guys.

Something is wrong with David Johnson, and this tells me the Cards are aware

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think whoever they sign better be able to pick up pass pro better than DJ or Edmunds... blocking in the NFL for this type of offense seems paramount as catching

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like that they are going after some vets vs young guys - helps shorten learning curve.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
makes me wonder about Charles Clay

or, they want a third TE on game day and dont think the Caleb Wilson is ready

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve always been a fan of Luke Willson...He used to torch the Cards as a Seahawk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Yeah this should be concerning regarding David Johnson.

4th highest paid back in the league and nonchalant about the team running for 21 yards. Very disappointing for someone being paid so much with that much tread left on the tires

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
4th highest paid back in the league and nonchalant about the team running for 21 yards. Very disappointing for someone being paid so much with that much tread left on the tires

The (at least) two badly missed blocks were very disappointing as well. He’s going to get Kyler killed

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wilson and Morris wouldn't be bad additions depending on who we have to release for space.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The (at least) two badly missed blocks were very disappointing as well. He’s going to get Kyler killed

This guys, DJ and Edmonds seem to be totally out of whack on pass pro. This is what stops a rookie from starting in the NFL. Granted DJ has a new system to learn but geez

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Rawls is an enigma to me. He had so much promise and had some really good results. Very strong runner. Had his ankle absolutely shattered and when he came back it was like he forgot how to play.

Was a little hesitant at first, which was expected.

However, he eventually started to look physically OK but he was mentally stunted.

The coaches kept attributing it to trying to hard - not sure, but missing assignments, missing cuts, going to the wrong gap or just running straight into the defender....... Was really odd

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Rawls is an enigma to me. He had so much promise and had some really good results. Very strong runner. Had his ankle absolutely shattered and when he came back it was like he forgot how to play.

Was a little hesitant at first, which was expected.

However, he eventually started to look physically OK but he was mentally stunted.

The coaches kept attributing it to trying to hard - not sure, but missing assignments, missing cuts, going to the wrong gap or just running straight into the defender....... Was really odd

I am etchy about Rawls, but I do not know the whole story... thanx

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Has Kerwynn Williams ever let the Cardinals down from those bizarre frequent signings on and off? No, except he was never a high draft choice and hence he seems to be out of the league... sign him, he can pass protect and never sucked rocks when given the opportunity

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Here is the injury

In that game he had 6 rushes for 44 yards.

On the season he had 147 attempts for 830 yards (5.65 ypc) and 4 tds.

This included 16 for 104 against Chicago, 23 for 169 against Cincy, 30 for 209 against SF, 21 for 81 against Pitt and 19 for 101 against MN

Some highlights from his rookie year

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I asked a while ago whether or not Edmonds is a better fit for this offense and nothing I’m seeing through two weeks is moving the needle toward DJ. He used to look like an oversized Johnny Rogers when he ran, now he looks like a guy who going to get cut to free up cap space.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think whoever they sign better be able to pick up pass pro better than DJ or Edmunds... blocking in the NFL for this type of offense seems paramount as catching
Too many times we have only 5 linemen blocking. I firmly we believe we need to run two tight end sets at least to make it appear we are going to run the ball.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I asked a while ago whether or not Edmonds is a better fit for this offense and nothing I’m seeing through two weeks is moving the needle toward DJ. He used to look like an oversized Johnny Rogers when he ran, now he looks like a guy who going to get cut to free up cap space.
I don't think cutting him this, or next, year frees up cap space, though...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think cutting him this, or next, year frees up cap space, though...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His 2019 salary is already fully guaranteed.

Half of his 2020 salary is already fully guaranteed ($5.1 million). If he is on the roster on the third day of the league year in 2019, his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed, which is almost a guarantee he will be because he will already have more than $10 million in guarantees coming and $9 million prorated salary cap.

As of right now, $2.1 million of his 2021 is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster in March 2020, the injury guarantee is a full guarantee.

As things stand, the only real year the Cardinals can get out of the contract is in 2020 and it wouldn’t save them much money.

They will take a negative cap hit cutting or trading him in 2018 or 2019.

His cap hit in 2018 is just more than $5 million, as it went up by $3 million because of the signing bonus proration. Getting out of his deal would mean a negative cap hit of more than $19 million.

His cap hit in 2019 is up to $9.75 million, but cutting or trading him would mean a negative cap hit of more than $10 million.

His cap hit in 2020 is $14.25 million. They can get out of his deal, but it saves only just more than $3 million.

His cap hit in 2021 will be $12 million and cutting him would give the Cardinals $9 million in cap savings.

The way it is structured, they cant cut him or trade him until 2021

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose