Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Couple of quick hitters:

The offensive line is not good in pass pro, but we don’t spend enough time talking about how few running lanes they open up. I didn’t see any until the 4th quarter the Slippery Rock RB was in. This is going to hinder KK’s offense since defenders will sag into coverage

Kyler Murray was awful today. The line didn’t help, but he was air mailing throws even when his feet were set. Not once did he cross his own 40 yard line, and he has yet to get beyond midfield in any of his five drives in preseason so far. This is against #1 and #2 defenses. I still think he’ll be good, but he’s not as plug-and-play as people believed him to be. Murray needs time to learn the speed of the game.

Hundley has looked sharp. This offense suits him well. If Murray weren’t a #1 pick or even a first round pick, there would be talk of a QB competition (this is not an endorsement for Hundley to be the starter).

3-4 or 4-3. It doesn’t matter. You need players to play. We have weaknesses at ILB and the d-line. This team will be lucky to be better than 25th in rushing yards allowed. It looked remarkably similar to last season’s team

With Alford and PP21 out an extended period of time and the state of the interior, this defense will resemble that of Texas Tech.

Zane Gonzales is fine. We don’t need to bring in competition

Chase Edmunds is going to be sneaky good this season

If Sherfield wasn’t already on the 53-man roster, he guaranteed his place tonight. It didn’t make sense before, but now it certainly makes no sense to bring in another WR, especially a dude like Crabtree. He’s catching almost everything in his radius and plays on special teams.

Nice to see Isabella get that long, contested TD catch. That was very aggressive and he had the jets even with a bum knee.

Yes, it’s preseason, but some deficits are starting to materialize. I can see Murray figuring things out sooner rather than later. For the life of me, I can’t imagine this defense being any better than below average.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I’m praying Reddick has a breakout season. I really don’t want to see Gardeck starting at ILB any time soon.

It’s telling that he was still in the game in the 4th quarter. That wasn’t by accident.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rewatched all the Kyler throws. 3 of the misses he either had a pass rusher in his face or had been flushed out by a pass rusher. now escapability and plays on the run are supposed to be his thing and 2 of them were that type of play where he got away but missed. The 3rd was just overthrown. The one near the goalline there was pressure but he had time and overthrew it.

So not good but not as bad as I thought at first look.

It is concerning that the Raiders had a terrible pass rush last year and got 2 sacks and 4 pressures on Murray in the time he was in there.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KM got sacked & gave up safety without getting even close to an actual hit landed. Those legs saving his life sooner than expected.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rewatched all the Kyler throws. 3 of the misses he either had a pass rusher in his face or had been flushed out by a pass rusher. now escapability and plays on the run are supposed to be his thing and 2 of them were that type of play where he got away but missed. The 3rd was just overthrown. The one near the goalline there was pressure but he had time and overthrew it.

So not good but not as bad as I thought at first look.

It is concerning that the Raiders had a terrible pass rush last year and got 2 sacks and 4 pressures on Murray in the time he was in there.

Yeah I replayed the first quarter offense for my wife when she got home. Not as bad when I had a chance to rewatch. The penalties were mind numbing. You can’t constantly have 3rd and 16. Three of those penalties were on Kyler so he wasn’t helping himself today.

Pedro Gomez was on Sports Center and said that the NFL has clarified the hand clap thing. Basically you can fake slap your hands. However just like a hard count you need to keep your upper body and head still (no jerking your body). Otherwise it is simulating a snap. I guess now is the time to figure these things out. Not sure why the officials that have been at practice haven’t brought this up before.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s amazing that people are coming in to truther 2-for-14 or whatever. Has Kyler crossed midfield in 2 games?

#AirRevolution

EDIT: 3 of 8 for 12 yards?! “Actually he was really good!”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree with everything in this thread.

Our defense looks atrocious. We have no d line. Gardeck is slow and has zero instincts. And to think we are relying on the light coming on for Reddick is a frightening concept. Add in that we won’t have our starting corners for it looks like a few games and I’m still waiting to see baker become the next badger . . . and, well . . . lots of bad football ahead.

AZCats

Veteran
Reaction score
Kingsbury and Murray are basically running a college offense in the NFL. This team is going to get destroyed in a whole lot of games this year. If Kingsbury is the coach next year I will be surprised. Both Kingsbury and Murray are going to be two of the biggest mistakes the Cardinals have ever made. I am still irritated they drafted Murray. I just don't understand why so many idiot coaches and GMs continue to draft these style of QBs when there is overwhelming proof they never pan out.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
It’s amazing that people are coming in to truther 2-for-14 or whatever. Has Kyler crossed midfield in 2 games?

#AirRevolution

EDIT: 3 of 8 for 12 yards?! “Actually he was really good!”

3/8

That’s a hell of a batting average for a Major League Baseball player. :cool:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kingsbury and Murray are basically running a college offense in the NFL. This team is going to get destroyed in a whole lot of games this year. If Kingsbury is the coach next year I will be surprised. Both Kingsbury and Murray are going to be two of the biggest mistakes the Cardinals have ever made. I am still irritated they drafted Murray. I just don't understand why so many idiot coaches and GMs continue to draft these style of QBs when there is overwhelming proof they never pan out.
For the record, I do not endorse this message. I think both will figure it out.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything in this thread.

Our defense looks atrocious. We have no d line. Gardeck is slow and has zero instincts. And to think we are relying on the light coming on for Reddick is a frightening concept. Add in that we won’t have our starting corners for it looks like a few games and I’m still waiting to see baker become the next badger . . . and, well . . . lots of bad football ahead.

Defense looks terrible. If they can’t stop the run it’s going to be another long season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When you say “these style of QBs” can you clarify what you mean?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually thought the hand clapping thing was bothering Murray although I'm not saying it's why he was 3-8. It just seemed like as someone said, we should have known before tonight refs were going to call that on him. If they are consistent with that Brady is going to have to stop doing his fake hand opening thing that gets offsides 1-2 times a game it seems.

I think the worst throws were the overthrow to Kirk where he just threw flat footed and the one over the middle from near our goalline where the ball was overthrown. The one on the run he threw that out of bounds on purpose so that one didn't bother me.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Murray may need a year.

People should cool their jets for this year.

Hope cardinals does not waste Murray like numerous predecessors of his were by this organization without giving him something to work with from OL to RBs to WRs.

Now, why should Keim have a job tomorrow morning?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I actually thought the hand clapping thing was bothering Murray although I'm not saying it's why he was 3-8. It just seemed like as someone said, we should have known before tonight refs were going to call that on him. If they are consistent with that Brady is going to have to stop doing his fake hand opening thing that gets offsides 1-2 times a game it seems.

I think the worst throws were the overthrow to Kirk where he just threw flat footed and the one over the middle from near our goalline where the ball was overthrown. The one on the run he threw that out of bounds on purpose so that one didn't bother me.
I agree. An extremely efficient 2-8 for 12 yards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson