Saxon seems the run game coordinator by default - wonder how he’s fitting in the air red offense ?

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think Kingsbury knows what the run is and as a OC is familiar in its many uses without a run 'coordinator' :)
Well got a pass game coordinator no offensive coordinator - why exactly would you think that? Just a hole in team management to me - Saxon has a lot of experience with the best backs in the NFL - best rushing teams - I know I seem the only one that gives a crap about the run game - but feel I’ve been proven exactly right with edge, Beanie and CJ and now DJ - we don’t win consistently without an effective run game - nobody does - Saxon has coached the best for a couple decades - would like to hear something from him or KK about where he fits and how he is feeling about the RB stable.

I think we’re going to pass ourselves to death again - same risks higher percentage of plays for 0 yards, negative yards and turnovers - extremely hard on the oline people blame all the time - while team asks the improbable play in and play out.

I think negative plays determine the outcome of nfl games much more than positive plays - we have a Star rb - hope KK adjusts to the NFL game - you think he knows, but I’m not sure

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got a pass game coordinator no offensive coordinator - why exactly would you think that? Just a hole in team management to me - Saxon has a lot of experience with the best backs in the NFL - best rushing teams - I know I seem the only one that gives a crap about the run game - but feel I’ve been proven exactly right with edge, Beanie and CJ and now DJ - we don’t win consistently without an effective run game - nobody does - Saxon has coached the best for a couple decades - would like to hear something from him or KK about where he fits and how he is feeling about the RB stable.

I think we’re going to pass ourselves to death again - same risks higher percentage of plays for 0 yards, negative yards and turnovers - extremely hard on the oline people blame all the time - while team asks the improbable play in and play out.

I think negative plays determine the outcome of nfl games much more than positive plays - we have a Star rb - hope KK adjusts to the NFL game - you think he knows, but I’m not sure
No offensive coordinator? Are you not following along this offseason? Do you need someone to have a fake title like Harold Goodwin did?

Also, KK college playcalling was even and not pass heavy. This is just guessing and the guessing is incorrect.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
It will be balanced. Even though Kingsbury is trying to keep his scheme a secret, there's one misnomer floating around, he said.

People think "it's going to be wide-open every single snap, throw it every play," Kingsbury said. "That's not what it's going to be."

That's not what it has ever been, actually. In his six seasons at Texas Tech, Kingsbury's running backs averaged more than 20 carries per game four times. The other two seasons, they averaged 19.2 and 19.6 carries per game. In Kingsbury's last two seasons in Lubbock, his running backs peaked, averaging 26.7 carries per game in 2017 and 24.3 carries in 2018.

Kingsbury has been adamant that his offense will be fluid on a game-by-game, play-by-play basis.

"We just try to do things that we think the defense will struggle with," Kingsbury said. "If it's run it every play, we'll run it every play. If we got to throw it a bunch, we'll do that as well. Basically, take what they give you."

Guard J.R. Sweezy broke it down in simpler terms: "It is the NFL. Everybody knows you got to be balanced."

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will be a hybrid offense not an air raid offense idk how many times that needs to be said

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Passing is more efficient and creates more positive plays than running in today's game. Advanced analytics have been saying this for years now.

Negative plays (as always) determine the outcome of individual drives. Not entire games.

The short passing game, play-action fakes, and passing on first down are BY FAR the most efficient, most O-Line friendly, and most successful plays in the sport and have been for over 5 years now.

And the wallets of Running Backs everywhere are feeling this trend the most.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It will be balanced. Even though Kingsbury is trying to keep his scheme a secret, there's one misnomer floating around, he said.

People think "it's going to be wide-open every single snap, throw it every play," Kingsbury said. "That's not what it's going to be."

That's not what it has ever been, actually. In his six seasons at Texas Tech, Kingsbury's running backs averaged more than 20 carries per game four times. The other two seasons, they averaged 19.2 and 19.6 carries per game. In Kingsbury's last two seasons in Lubbock, his running backs peaked, averaging 26.7 carries per game in 2017 and 24.3 carries in 2018.

Kingsbury has been adamant that his offense will be fluid on a game-by-game, play-by-play basis.

"We just try to do things that we think the defense will struggle with," Kingsbury said. "If it's run it every play, we'll run it every play. If we got to throw it a bunch, we'll do that as well. Basically, take what they give you."

Guard J.R. Sweezy broke it down in simpler terms: "It is the NFL. Everybody knows you got to be balanced."

It's funny that this stat keeps popping up. While it is true, his team leads the nation in plays per game every year with (sometimes) more than 80 snaps per game in college.

So when you see 20 snaps per game that still represents a 75% to 25% pass to run ratio. Most of the time he will be more like 70 to 30% in the NFL I would guess.

This dude uses the pass to set up the run. And (success or failure) I am going to love watching it.

Quote from another thread:
Kingsbury actually got tame in his past two years, dialing down to a 56-44 pass-run ratio after being at 62-38 pass-run in his first four seasons.

Two good links that speak to this:

https://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-c...liff-kingsburys-mysterious-offense-in-arizona

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019...ff-kingsburys-coaching-career-are-staggering/

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Passing is more efficient and creates more positive plays than running in today's game. Advanced analytics have been saying this for years now.

Negative plays (as always) determine the outcome of individual drives. Not entire games.

The short passing game, play-action fakes, and passing on first down are BY FAR the most efficient, most O-Line friendly, and most successful plays in the sport and have been for over 5 years now.

And the wallets of Running Backs everywhere are feeling this trend the most.

Yep.

I cant remember where I found this but during the Super Bowl era, teams that control the passing game (Either being elite at passing, elite at stopping the pass, or a combo of both) usually end up in the Super Bowl.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This will be a hybrid offense not an air raid offense idk how many times that needs to be said
Best way to project what Cards will be offensively is to put yourself in the shoes of the opposing HC.

I'd imagine that - faced with a pass-happy offense - most of our opponents will attempt to control the clock, speed up the game and tire out the Cardiinal offense.

Expect K2 to counter this with an offensive game plan heavy on ball control.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@THESMEL

James Saxon by default? Hmmm....why would you assume the RBs coach is the run game coordinator when the Cardinals have Sean Kugler on the staff AND they have said he is the run game guy?

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Saxon has 20 years rb experience compared to 13 on oline for Kugler is why -
@THESMEL

James Saxon by default? Hmmm....why would you assume the RBs coach is the run game coordinator when the Cardinals have Sean Kugler on the staff AND they have said he is the run game guy?

Saxon has 20 years nfl rb coach experience . Compared to 13 years oline for Kugler - not trying to make folks defensive - just no offensive coordinator and a pass game coordinator is kind of anti smel - I mean if Saxon don’t nurture the run game who will? As far as antalytics don’t know that answer, Peyton, Brady, Never won without a decent run game - made it but never won it - just like our sorry excuse for SB loss with only 10 runs in the SB - after a Edge carried us from epic pass collapse to balanced legend Larry 2008 playoff run to 10 run Sb loss and 10 run 2009 Saints playoff kill kurt blow out loss. Stupid coaching I say and you can’t best that out of me - stupid coaching. Larry, media never mentioned edge or beanies decisive contributions- and it pisses me off -

Veteran running backs coach James Saxon is in his first season with the Cardinals after he was hired on 2/6/19.

Saxon has 19 seasons of experience as a running backs coach (2000-18) in the NFL after an eight-year playing career in the league with the Chiefs (1988-91), Dolphins (1992-94) and Eagles (1995). In 19 years as an assistant coach, his running backs have earned 15 Pro Bowl selections and rushed for 1,000 yards in a season 11 times. Saxon has been a part of four different franchises that have posted eight total postseason appearances during his career.

He comes to the Cardinals after coaching Pittsburgh’s running backs the past five seasons (2014-18). In 2018, Steelers second-year RB James Conner was selected to the Pro Bowl after gaining 1,470 scrimmage yards (sixth most by an NFL RB), including 973 rushing yards while only playing in 13 games. Conner also scored 12 rushing TDs, which tied for third in the league last season.

Under Saxon’s guidance, RB Le'Veon Bell earned three Pro Bowl selections (2014, ’16-17), was named first-team All-Pro twice (2014, ’17) and became the fastest player in NFL history to reach 5,000 rushing and 2,500 receiving yards in a career (59 games). He tied Eric Dickerson for the fewest games (59) in NFL history to reach 7,500 yards from scrimmage. Bell finished the 2017 season third among all NFL players in rushing yards (1,291) and second in yards from scrimmage (1,946) while scoring 11 TDs. Steelers FB Roosevelt Nix was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2017 after paving the way for Bell’s production in addition to having a rushing and receiving TD.

Bell led the NFL in scrimmage yards per game (157.0) in 2016 and set the team’s single-game rushing record in the regular season (236 at Buffalo) and in the postseason (170 at Kansas City) that year. He became the fastest player in NFL history to reach 3,000 rushing yards and 1,500 receiving yards (38 games). Bell got to 4,000 rushing yards in his 47th game, the second fewest games in team history to reach 4,000 rushing yards.

In 2014, Bell set Steelers single-season records in yards from scrimmage (2,215), first downs (114) and receiving yards by a running back (854). He became the first player in the NFL to total at least 200 yards from scrimmage in three straight games. Bell’s 1,361 rushing yards led the AFC and he became just the second player in NFL history to record at least 1,350 rushing yards and 850 receiving yards in a single season (Marshall Faulk-1999). He had 830 yards from scrimmage between Weeks 11-14, tying him for the fourth-most yards from scrimmage in NFL history in a four-game span.

Saxon also tutored RB DeAngelo Williams during his tenure with the Steelers. In 2015, Williams had 1,274 yards from scrimmage and tied for the NFL lead with 11 TDs. He was the only player in the AFC to have 1,000+ scrimmage yards and at 10 rushing TDs that season.

Prior to working in Pittsburgh, Saxon coached running backs in Minnesota for three seasons (2011-13), including Adrian Peterson’s NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year campaign in 2012 when he posted the second-highest single-season rushing total (2,097 yards) in league history. Peterson had the most rushing yards in the month of December in NFL history (861) that season to go along with a team record 10 games of 100+ rushing yards. FB Jerome Felton was a second-team All-Pro selection and was named to the Pro Bowl in 2012.

Saxon coached running backs in Miami for three seasons (2008-10) and helped RB Ronnie Brown get selected to the Pro Bowl in 2008. In 2009, Miami had the NFL’s fourth-ranked rushing attack (139.4 ypg) and RB Ricky Williams led the team with 1,121 rushing yards.

Returning to the team that drafted him, Saxon spent seven seasons (2001-07) coaching running backs with the Chiefs and helped lead a trio of Chiefs RBs – Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and Tony Richardson – to seven Pro Bowls and five 1,000-yard seasons. Holmes and Johnson totaled five 1,000-yard rushing seasons between them and rank first and second, respectively, in team history in career yardage. Johnson set a team record with 1,789 rushing yards in 2006 and Holmes set a Chiefs single-season record, which at the time was also an NFL record, with 27 rushing TDs in 2003. Holmes rushed for 100+ yards in a game 24 times while working with Saxon.

He entered the NFL coaching ranks serving as the running backs coach with the Bills in 2000 after starting his coaching career as the running backs coach at Rutgers (1997-98) and as a volunteer assistant at Menlo College (1999).

Saxon played eight seasons as a running back in the NFL with the Chiefs, Dolphins and Eagles after entering the league with Kansas City as a sixth-round selection (139th overall) in the 1988 NFL Draft out of San Jose State. In his career, Saxon played in 111 regular season games and totaled 214 touches for 1,048 yards. He also appeared in eight postseason contests.

He began his college playing career at American River Junior College (1984-85) before transferring to San Jose State (1986-87). Saxon totaled 609 rushing yards and nine TDs on 118 carries to go along with 78 receptions for 732 yards and four TDs with the Spartans.

Saxon is married to Elizabeth and has a son, Devin, and a step-daughter, Matti. Devin played quarterback at Harvard.

James Saxon Coaching Breakdown

Year Team Position

1997–98 Rutgers University Running Backs

1999 Menlo College Assistant Coach

2000 Buffalo Bills Running Backs

2001–07 Kansas City Chiefs Running Backs

2008–10 Miami Dolphins Running Backs

2011–13 Minnesota Vikings Running Backs

2014–18 Pittsburgh Steelers Running Backs

2019– ARIZONA CARDINALS Running Backs

NFL Playing Career

Year Team Position

1988–91 Kansas City Chiefs Fullback

1992–94 Miami Dolphins Fullback

1995 Philadelphia Eagles Fullback

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm familiar with his resume.

The run game is more than a RB running. The offensive line blocking scheme is more important which is why typically run game coordinators are often offensive line coaches.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
I'm familiar with his resume.

The run game is more than a RB running. The offensive line blocking scheme is more important which is why typically run game coordinators are often offensive line coaches.
I agree but we need a stronger louder run game voice higher in the hierarchy- because as always I feel it’s the key to the engine of the offense - think it’s proven again, just like well- forever. KK did not realize chase had 1 run in the Atlanta game collapse - fix it - use your own idea- better than mine but fix that

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree but we need a stronger louder run game voice higher in the hierarchy- because as always I feel it’s the key to the engine of the offense - think it’s proven again, just like well- forever. KK did not realize chase had 1 run in the Atlanta game collapse - fix it - use your own idea- better than mine but fix that

On the radio yesterday, they were talking about the changes from the offense coming from....Kugler.

Apparently the OL werent happy with offense and the approached Kugler. Kugler then went to Kingsbury at that's why we are seeing alot less 10 personnel.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the radio yesterday, they were talking about the changes from the offense coming from....Kugler.

Apparently the OL werent happy with offense and the approached Kugler. Kugler then went to Kingsbury at that's why we are seeing alot less 10 personnel.
This is good to hear, especially from a adaptive standpoint.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Apparently Shipley was pissed at Kingsbury.

But to hear that he listened to his coach and players and adapted Air raid principles to more standard NFL sets is refreshing.
They all were. Shipley is the vocal leader of the group from what I know. Pugh and Hump were also frustrated. Pissed ia also overly strong. They felt they were being put in a position to fail, and Shipley brought that through the chain of command. Kingsbury listed, made adjustments, and this increased his credibility as it has worked.

Veteran professionals want to feel heard as they feel like they experience deserves it. This is an example of smart trust and it working so far.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Reaction score
Sounds gimmick, which is good - but as effective as chase was - just needed used

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They all were. Shipley is the vocal leader of the group from what I know. Pugh and Hump were also frustrated. Pissed ia also overly strong. They felt they were being put in a position to fail, and Shipley brought that through the chain of command. Kingsbury listed, made adjustments, and this increased his credibility as it has worked.

Veteran professionals want to feel heard as they feel like they experience deserves it. This is an example of smart trust and it working so far.

Look at the offense today vs. Week1.

KK is a very bright offensive mind. Lots of old school concepts mixed with new school.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose