Welcome Tariq Owens

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know much about Owens but it is nice to see the Suns have not turned away from adding and developing youth on the team. For awhile I thought James Jones was going to mostly concentrate on players ready to play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears Owens is a shot blocker and finisher who can play above the rim.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what type of contract the Suns will sign Owens because the Suns already have 15 players under contract.

If it is a regular contract the Suns will have to cut/waive someone to add him.

Guards: Devin Booker, Ricky Rubio, Tyler Johnson, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque, Jevon Carter, Elie Okobo

Small Forwards- Kelly Oubre, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson

Power Forward/Center: Deandre Ayton, Aron Baynes, Dario Saric, Frank Kaminsky, Cheick Diallo

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His block rate is absolutely absurd in today’s game. His rebounding is subpar, but I wonder how much that has to do with how slim he is (205lbs stretched over 6’10 frame). He’ll need to develop some framework of an offensive game, but I like him as a project.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His block rate is absolutely absurd in today’s game. His rebounding is subpar, but I wonder how much that has to do with how slim he is (205lbs stretched over 6’10 frame). He’ll need to develop some framework of an offensive game, but I like him as a project.

Meh. Notice on that ally oop dunk he was at the rim level. It's not like he had a ton of elevation on that dunk. Even some of the blocks he had were at shot level at not like he towered over the person when blocking.

He appears to have a good instinct for the ball and decent hands. However, as you stated between what I have seen with his elevation on that video and his rebounding that means he plays "small" for a 6'10 frame relying more on his natural height verses athleticism.

Like you said good project guy but nothing to get excited about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh. Notice on that ally oop dunk he was at the rim level. It's not like he had a ton of elevation on that dunk. Even some of the blocks he had were at shot level at not like he towered over the person when blocking.

He appears to have a good instinct for the ball and decent hands. However, as you stated between what I have seen with his elevation on that video and his rebounding that means he plays "small" for a 6'10 frame relying more on his natural height verses athleticism.

Like you said good project guy but nothing to get excited about.
Kind of difficult to downplay his block rate when you consider he did it consistently over three years and in two different leagues. He definitely has a knack for blocking shots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Must be late July. This guy his almost zero likelihood of seeing regular season playeing time. Camp signing. Extra body.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think he makes it look easy. He's got a 7'4" wingspan and a 42" vertical... He'll be fine if he can develop the other parts of his game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of difficult to downplay his block rate when you consider he did it consistently over three years and in two different leagues. He definitely has a knack for blocking shots.

Blocking no doubt that's why I said he had good hands. It might be much different in the NBA though. He is going to face a ton more guys who are athletic and can play above the rim or out muscle him.