OT: Russell Westbrook trade thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His efficiency rating over the last 3 years has gone from 30, to 24, to 20. That is a pretty big dip.

The bigger question is his free throw shooting it’s dropped like I’ve never seen. Usually guys shoot better as they get older

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He has a player option of 46m in 2022-23, the same year of Ayton's QO. If you're positive he makes you a championship contender this season and next, then maaaaybe. But if you're not going to contend during the more productive first half of his contract, paying him 43m and 46m in the back half, while presumably trying to re-sign or extend Ayton and coming up on Booker... seems like a lot.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he'd been a available during the draft he may have ended up here. Tyler Johnson, TJ Warren and the #6 pick is probably better than whatever offer they may get for him right now.

As is, I don't see how we could make a deal that made sense for us and OKC, at least not until December when Rubio can be moved, but OKC would probably want a 3rd team to take his contract.

Regardless... it would be a huuuuuge risk bringing him in. We certainly would get a lot better right away, but our ability to improve after that is toast and we'd need to pray he is a better fit with Booker than I suspect he'd be.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
His efficiency rating over the last 3 years has gone from 30, to 24, to 20. That is a pretty big dip.

I'm showing 21 for last season, but I take your point. His 2016-17 season was insane and I agree that he's not likely to duplicate that feat (nor is any point guard).

The two numbers from last year that would concern me the most are FT% and FTA/game. I think he was dealing with nagging injuries last season, and maybe he was also trying to defer to George a little more, but that wouldn't explain why he shot so poorly from the line once he got there. His FT% has been in the low 80s most of his career, so last year's 66% is very difficult to understand.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

30 was the Superman year before George. He was incredible but I think even he realized he couldn't do it all by himself.

Could he fit in with Booker and Ayton, make them better? I don't know.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with Westbrook is that even with his high assist numbers, he seems to get his offense at the expense of his teammates, rather than making them better.

To a certain extent, Booker does that too. It seems to o me that having two players like that on the floor at the same time would be problematic.

Now if we wanted to get Westbrook and trade Booker for more of a two-way all-star type two, maybe it could work. The whole philosophy of building this team would have to change.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather the Suns pay Oubre for something less than half the cost than chasing after a player that doesn't fit. Also Westbrook's salary would handicap the Suns future.

Also I can't see a Booker/Westbrook backcourt working because both would need the ball. It would probably negatively impact Ayton as well.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather the Suns pay Oubre for something less than half the cost than chasing after a player that doesn't fit. Also Westbrook's salary would handicap the Suns future.

Also I can't see a Booker/Westbrook backcourt working because both would need the ball. It would probably negatively impact Ayton as well.
Its funny, people say that Rubio is a bad fit with Booker because both would need the ball--just like you are saying here with Westbrook. The difference is that Booker does not want to run the offense, but he is useless if the ball does not get to his hands to score. Rubio wants to run the offense but not score, so that should work (theoretically). But Westbrook wants to run the offense and score, which would relegate Booker to a secondary scorer (and Ayton tertiary).

But he is still a superstar player, so if the opportunity is there, you have to consider it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see Westbrook hampering Ayton, not Booker. Its been shown that two guards/wings can still share the ball and have enough shots to go around. What suffers is the bigs' scoring. Westbrook had Adams and it seemed like Adams could have been utilized more. And seeing how passive Ayton is, he'd have even more of a hard time progressing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I see Westbrook hampering Ayton, not Booker. Its been shown that two guards/wings can still share the ball and have enough shots to go around. What suffers is the bigs' scoring. Westbrook had Adams and it seemed like Adams could have been utilized more.

I watched a lot of Thunder games and I disagree with that. Adams got more opportunities than he deserved. He can't score outside of a couple of feet, has bad hands, falls down constantly, and is terrible from the line. If Westbrook and Adams become separated, Adams is going to be seen for the mediocre talent that he is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny, people say that Rubio is a bad fit with Booker because both would need the ball--just like you are saying here with Westbrook. The difference is that Booker does not want to run the offense, but he is useless if the ball does not get to his hands to score. Rubio wants to run the offense but not score, so that should work (theoretically). But Westbrook wants to run the offense and score, which would relegate Booker to a secondary scorer (and Ayton tertiary).

But he is still a superstar player, so if the opportunity is there, you have to consider it.

You said much the same in post #56:

The problem with Westbrook is that even with his high assist numbers, he seems to get his offense at the expense of his teammates, rather than making them better.

The Suns primary rationale if they went after Westbrook would be to add another star... something they have been wanting to do for a long time.

However, I think Westbrook is the wrong star.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I watched a lot of Thunder games and I disagree with that. Adams got more opportunities than he deserved. He can't score outside of a couple of feet, has bad hands, falls down constantly, and is terrible from the line. If Westbrook and Adams become separated, Adams is going to be seen for the mediocre talent that he is.
It is two fold. Adams might look worse on offense, but he would be a rebounding beast if he wasn't boxing out for Westbrook all game long.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You said much the same in post #56:

The Suns primary rationale if they went after Westbrook would be to add another star... something they have been wanting to do for a long time.

However, I think Westbrook is the wrong star.
So. You are telling me I am repeating myself? Stand in line behind my wife, my kids, my employees, my friends. . . .

My apologies :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In today's NBA, how anyone can say that we should get players that fit the system instead of making the system fit the players? This is a players league and if you have a guy like Westbrook available, you at least explore it.

The fantasy world of the 90s of getting players to fit a system is great and all, but that's not the reality of today.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In today's NBA, how anyone can say that we should get players that fit the system instead of making the system fit the players? This is a players league and if you have a guy like Westbrook available, you at least explore it.

The fantasy world of the 90s of getting players to fit a system is great and all, but that's not the reality of today.
That's fair, but you have to prioritize which players you are trying to fit your system to. Is it Westbrook or Booker or Ayton? Is it possible to come up with a system that maximizes all three, and if not, which gets the priority?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It is two fold. Adams might look worse on offense, but he would be a rebounding beast if he wasn't boxing out for Westbrook all game long.

Sure, but I didn't think we were talking about Westbrook costing Adams rebounding opportunities. Generally, a team shouldn't care who gets the defensive rebound as long as they get it. The advantage of having Westbrook get it himself is that he can start the break immediately.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sure, but I didn't think we were talking about Westbrook costing Adams rebounding opportunities. Generally, a team shouldn't care who gets the defensive rebound as long as they get it. The advantage of having Westbrook get it himself is that he can start the break immediately.
That wasn't my point. It was suggested that Adams wouldn't look nearly as good if it wasn't for Westbrook, but he would indeed look like a much better rebounder if it wasn't for Westbrook as well. I wasn't debating what is better for the team (though I think an argument can be made that the big grabbing it and passing it up to the guard is more effective).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That wasn't my point. It was suggested that Adams wouldn't look nearly as good if it wasn't for Westbrook, but he would indeed look like a much better rebounder if it wasn't for Westbrook as well. I wasn't debating what is better for the team (though I think an argument can be made that the big grabbing it and passing it up to the guard is more effective).

Okay, I thought we were talking about Adams's offense only. Yes, I agree that his rebounding numbers would probably improve without Westbrook.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That's fair, but you have to prioritize which players you are trying to fit your system to. Is it Westbrook or Booker or Ayton? Is it possible to come up with a system that maximizes all three, and if not, which gets the priority?
Westbrook, Booker and Ayton could work for spurts, but so can Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton. Then throw in all the secondary pieces who would be more directly involved with the Rubio, TJohnson, Jerome/ Carter PG setup and it'd be better to develop the chemistry that way with the whole squad improving, instead of one guy trying to lift everyone on his shoulders. It's been a big flop for OKC and to a lesser extent HOU.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If only Boogie went to Miami and they trade for Westbrook. That big-3 would’ve had a high implosion rate. Spoelstra will have his hands full just with Jimmy alone.

iVAN

Reaction score
Brickbrook is a crap star. The last couple of season prove it. People said OKC's a contender once PG13 joined. And they fell flat on their faces. Brickbrook isn't championship player. A lot of money, a lot of trouble and no championship contention, that's Russel for ya.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose