OT: Russell Westbrook trade thread

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about where I would post this, but I am ready to move on from Okobo as well.

I think I would have that little guy from the SL team in his spot. He is short but stocky and has long arms and looks like big hands.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about where I would post this, but I am ready to move on from Okobo as well.

I think I would have that little guy from the SL team in his spot. He is short but stocky and has long arms and looks like big hands.

I agree... keep Harper instead.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Westbrook is a superstar right in his prime

You have to be kidding me talking about fit or direction here. If you can get him cheap you have to do it.

The last year of his contract might not be nice but 34 is not THAT old to think he wont still be good then.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's such a Suns fan thing to do to complain that nobody big will sign here or we won't trade for anyone big, but when someone big might be "available", it's no, no, no!!

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's such a Suns fan thing to do to complain that nobody big will sign here or we won't trade for anyone big, but when someone big might be "available", it's no, no, no!!
It's an abusive relationship

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You have to be kidding me talking about fit or direction here. If you can get him cheap you have to do it.

The last year of his contract might not be nice but 34 is not THAT old to think he wont still be good then.
But I think it has to be Westbrook or Booker. I just do not see them coexisting well. He is a superstar, he is slightly past prime, but not that far. His game is all about athleticism, so he could decline more quickly than others. It is an interesting thought at least.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no place for harper either

Booker
TJohnson
Rubio
Ayton
Baynes
Kaminsky
Bridges
CJohnson
Saric
Jerome
Carter
Okobo
Lecque

Plus Oubre makes 14

Am I missing someone? Looks to me like they can add one more player plus two-way contracts.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Westbrook is one of the lowest bb iq superstars there’s ever been but talent is talent. I’d take him in December when Rubio is eligible to be traded but I’m not giving up anything of much value considering his contract and declining play.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's because often times the someone that's available is "John Wall" or "Russell Westbrook", players on ridiculous contracts that have each showed HUGE signs of slowing down. In Westbrook's case, maybe it's just him being limited by injury but his PER has dropped from a career high of 30.6 to 24.7 and most recently, 21.1. Additionally, his effectiveness has fallen off a cliff too especially from distance and he'll turn 31 at the start of next season - so willingly paying him huge sums for 4 more years is a scary prospect. And the idea of giving up assets for that privilege goes past scary to dangerously short-sighted IMO.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Westbrook ... declining play.

Where does this "declining play" narrative come from? He shot very poorly from three-point range and the line last season, but he posted career highs in assists, rebounds, and blocks, and had his lowest turnover rate in three years.

The lousy shooting is a concern, and some of his decision-making is questionable, but you're still talking about a guy who has posted the second, third, and fourth seasons averaging a triple-double in the history of the league. He also ranks very high in advanced defensive stats.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker
TJohnson
Rubio
Ayton
Baynes
Kaminsky
Bridges
CJohnson
Saric
Jerome
Carter
Okobo
Lecque

Plus Oubre makes 14

Am I missing someone? Looks to me like they can add one more player plus two-way contracts.

Pretty sure spaulding is getting a spot

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Where does this "declining play" narrative come from? He shot very poorly from three-point range and the line last season, but he posted career highs in assists, rebounds, and blocks, and had his lowest turnover rate in three years.

The lousy shooting is a concern, and some of his decision-making is questionable, but you're still talking about a guy who has posted the second, third, and fourth seasons averaging a triple-double in the history of the league. He also ranks very high in advanced defensive stats.

His decision making has always been questionable so I suppose it’s not declining but like you said his shooting percentages have tanked. He’s barely breaking a 50TS% at this point and probably has the worst shot selection of any star player in the league. THAT said I’m actually advocating trading for him if it doesn’t cost any assets besides future cap space.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do we even have any assets that OKC would want? We can't even offer multiple first rounders because we used all of our 1st round extras to get Bridges and Jerome, nor do we even have a Josh Jackson to throw in as a "high risk, high reward" young guy to throw into the mix.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
do we even have any assets that OKC would want? We can't even offer multiple first rounders because we used all of our 1st round extras to get Bridges and Jerome, nor do we even have a Josh Jackson to throw in as a "high risk, high reward" young guy to throw into the mix.

An unprotected 2020 pick and the option to swap in 2021 and/or 2022 would probably get their attention, depending on the strength of the market. I think the Suns would have to wait until December, not necessarily for including Rubio or Oubre, but to let the rest of the market sort itself out. An offer Oklahoma City would reject in October might become one they need to stomach in December.

If everything went perfectly for Phoenix, I could see a deal of TJohnson, Bridges, one of this year's rookies, 2020 unprotected, and a later pick swap being maybe enough.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That is way too rich

Kevin Pelton suggested Tyler Johnson, Oubre and a protected pick on ESPN+

Westbrook has no trade value

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We have in fact all of our first round picks to spent

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I like Russ. I’ve always enjoyed watching him. Yes, I would love to have a star on this team, but desperation to acquire stars is a dangerous game to play. That seems to be the case here with Westbrook. I wouldn’t complain if they did trade for him, but I also wouldn’t be over the moon excited because it’s just an awkward fit. He’s had 2 legit superstars in this league bounce on him. Does Westbrook at this stage in his career make Booker or Ayton better, or does he stunt their growth by being his ball dominant, questionable decision making, poor shooting self? He’s also on a downward trend athletically which is what his game is dependent on and his contract is franchise crippling. It’s like buying a house at the peak of the market. The bubble’s going to burst and you’re stuck with an overvalued asset you can’t rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Westbrook but feel he would not be good fit with the Suns. I don't see the Suns as a player in any trades for Westbrook. I also don't think he would want to come here.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He's about to be 31, relies almost entirely on athleticism, has an extremely high usage, costs 40m per year and is a very poor shooter.

All that being said I have no doubt we would be a better team with him for at least the next couple seasons, but I have no faith whatsoever that we wouldn't be wishing we didn't have his contract in a couple years.

The team has committed to a direction whether you like it or not and that is to build everything around Booker and Ayton and in this case I think it is the right call.

At this point and especially going forward I would much prefer to have the ball in Booker and Ayton's hands than Westbrook as they are both exceptionally more efficient scorers.

Just surround them with shooters and a PG that can distribute and I think we will see some great things from that duo in the near future.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His efficiency rating over the last 3 years has gone from 30, to 24, to 20. That is a pretty big dip.