OT: Russell Westbrook trade thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miami seems to be the only team in the mix right now, but if this off-season has told us anything, that can change.

What would Miami give up?

I do believe that OKC now owns two Miami first-round picks--at least one is unprotected. So why would they give up a player to Miami and potentially devalue the picks that they own?

Who else is a potential trade partner for OKC?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What could Miami even give up??? They owe first round picks (to OKC as he been pointed out) in ‘21 and ‘23. That means can’t trade ‘20, ‘22, or ‘24. What else could OKC want from them?!?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What could Miami even give up??? They owe first round picks (to OKC as he been pointed out) in ‘21 and ‘23. That means can’t trade ‘20, ‘22, or ‘24. What else could OKC want from them?!?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We can get him for cheap right now. High risk high reward.
We don't have salaries to swap out. Aside from Johnson's $19M expiring there isn't another contract that can get us close to the $38M salary except Booker's. Had they waited, they could have dealt Warren, JJ & Johnson but even so I think PHX is better off with Rubio than a ball dominant Westbrook who is about to turn 31 and is owed $170M over the next 4 years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You seem to be three-peating all over this forum. You might want to restart your device or something.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragic and Justice Winslow... and something else... maybe whatever cheap young players Miami can actually move. I'm guessing the Heat would not offer Adebayo as part of the package and if they've officially signed Herro, their pick this year, I don't think they can trade him until December. Another complication is that I can't picture the Thunder want anything to do with Dion Waiters coming back in town.

Bet the Heat wish this opportunity had popped up before the Butler deal was official, would have made the salary maneuverings a lot easier.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People that are posting multiple times only need to hit submit once. It may not look like it posts on your end but you can refresh after 15 seconds of submitting it and it should show your post. If you hit submit more than once then your post will end posting as many times as you hit submit.

Seems to be a site issue, hopefully it's sorted out soon.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
People that are posting multiple times only need to hit submit once. It may not look like it posts on your end but you can refresh after 15 seconds of submitting it and it should show your post. If you hit submit more than once then your post will end posting as many times as you hit submit.

Seems to be a site issue, hopefully it's sorted out soon.
You can also delete the duplicates and triplicates if you see it.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Miami seems to be the only team in the mix right now, but if this off-season has told us anything, that can change.

What would Miami give up?

I do believe that OKC now owns two Miami first-round picks--at least one is unprotected. So why would they give up a player to Miami and potentially devalue the picks that they own?

Who else is a potential trade partner for OKC?

I think that Westbrook's trade value is much lower than most people think.

He is one of the most overrated stars ever with low efficiency and on a huge contract.

I don't think that OKC will get more for Westbrook than Winslow, Waiters, Leonard, Herro and removing the protection of MIA's 2023 pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We don't have salaries to swap out. Aside from Johnson's $19M expiring there isn't another contract that can get us close to the $38M salary except Booker's. Had they waited, they could have dealt Warren, JJ & Johnson but even so I think PHX is better off with Rubio than a ball dominant Westbrook who is about to turn 31 and is owed $170M over the next 4 years.

We could in theory I think sign and trade Oubre and Tyler Johnson for Westbrook right now or Rubio and Tyler Johnson in december.

Rubio and Johnson would actually make some sense but would of course be a questionable move in many regards.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s going to have to be a 3 team deal I think. I don’t think the heat have enough on there own to get this deal done. If I’m OKC I’m not trading him just to trade him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns should get on the horn with Orlando to try and work on a 3 way trade with them and OKC that involves Westbrook going to Orlando, who still need a PG since they're running with Augustine, Carter-Williams, and Fultz.

Here's a deal that works financially but we'd need to pony up at least 1 pick with Orlando throwing 1, maybe 2 of their own in as well.

Suns send out Tyler Johnson
Suns receive Aaron Gordon and Wes Iwundu

Magic send out Fultz, Gordon, & Iwundu
Magic receive Westbrook

OKC sends out Westbrook
OKC receives Fultz and Tyler Johnson plus Suns pick, Orlando picks

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=yyaeq6vy

Suns get their PF in Gordon, Iwundu is only involved to make the salary work. Orlando had to part with an extra $1.4 million so I added him. Another small contract could take his place though. He's expiring so I figured he'd make sense in that regard.

OKC gets a potential franchise PG to replace Westbrook if he can get his head on right and some cap relief this year, dumping about $8 million in salary right now as well as getting Tyler Johnson's deal off the books after next season.

Orlando land a star PG to help them move up in the Eastern standings.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Suns should get on the horn with Orlando to try and work on a 3 way trade with them and OKC that involves Westbrook going to Orlando, who still need a PG since they're running with Augustine, Carter-Williams, and Fultz.

Here's a deal that works financially but we'd need to pony up at least 1 pick with Orlando throwing 1, maybe 2 of their own in as well.

Magic receive Westbrook

OKC sends out Westbrook

Suns get their PF in Gordon, Iwundu is only involved to make the salary work. Orlando had to part with an extra $1.4 million so I added him. Another small contract could take his place though. He's expiring so I figured he'd make sense in that regard.

OKC gets a potential franchise PG to replace Westbrook if he can get his head on right and some cap relief this year, dumping about $8 million in salary right now as well as getting Tyler Johnson's deal off the books after next season.

Well I like the trade for the sun's but I don't think OKC goes for that , fultz might not ever play again from the reports, theyd probably have to throw in a different guard or we'd have to throw in one rather than a pick

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be three-peating all over this forum. You might want to restart your device or something.

I think something went amiss with the board yesterday afternoon. It locked up on me and when it came back I had double posted on the politics board. I've seen a few elsewhere. So my suspicion is the board had a hiccup yesterday and if you were posting during that you might have ended up with multiple posts

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Magic receive Westbrook

OKC sends out Westbrook

My question there is why would Orlando and OKC take that deal? Orlando is giving up their young borderline star in Gordon, and OKC is taking a huge gamble on Fultz getting physically and mentally right.

It MIGHT work out for both teams but Orlando just gets an older star that people won't want to play with, and OKC gets a guy who might never get past his demons.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My question there is why would Orlando and OKC take that deal? Orlando is giving up their young borderline star in Gordon, and OKC is taking a huge gamble on Fultz getting physically and mentally right.

It MIGHT work out for both teams but Orlando just gets an older star that people won't want to play with, and OKC gets a guy who might never get past his demons.

I see it a few ways for all teams but I forgot OKC got Shai in the PG13 deal. If they don't want to try with Fultz then a deal that sends out Jonathon Isaac and Mo Bamba to OKC with Gordon still coming to Phoenix but now with Augustin, Westbrook to Orlando with Saric and Tyler Johnson to OKC still, works. I like that for everyone more.

You must be registered for see images attach

Suns take on Augustin's contract which helps lower Orlandos salary and we can waive him if we wanted. We send Saric to Orlando also to help give them another PF who is more playoff ready in Saric, he has the experience compared to Gordon, and he'd fit better as a shooting big to play with Westbrook and their other vets.

OKC sheds salary, big reason right there since their owner is cheap and paying luxury tax without a competitive team makes no sense. They get a young forward with potential in Isaac and a young center in Bamba as well. Plus they get 2 more 1st's. Suns send 1 first to Orlando for the 2020 draft, Orlando sends the least favorable to OKC for that draft and a future 1st in 2022 or 23. OKC adds 2 good youngsters with potential and shred $20 million in salary after next season and possibly more, depending on if they keep Isaac and Bamba beyond next year, and get 2 more 1st's from teams that aren't title contenders like the Clippers.

Orlando just resigned Vucevic to a max deal, or very close to the max, and his age makes that questionable. Orlando has older talent that can compete now, Terrence Ross, Evan Fournier, Al-Farooq Aminu, and Saric, to go with Westbrook and Vucevic. Gordon, Bamba, and Isaac are too young to help much right now, that's why they'd go after a star PG to compete now and Saric is more experienced than Gordon and should help stretch the floor for them, like they've wanted Gordon to do. They get better with Westbrook and can actually get out of the 1st round in the East now.

Phoenix gives up a pick but it's for Gordon. They lose Tyler Johnson and Saric but Saric would be a backup if we added Gordon and Augustine can play backup PG for us if we don't buy him out.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I proposed a similar trade earlier. It makes sense if Orlando was interested in Westbrook. And there are reasons they should be. Orlando has a roster full of complementary players but no lead dog like we have in Booker.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I proposed a similar trade earlier. It makes sense if Orlando was interested in Westbrook. And there are reasons they should be. Orlando has a roster full of complementary players but no lead dog like we have in Booker.

Add in how they need an upgrade at PG also and it makes sense to go after him. They signed Michael Carter-Williams this offseason, traded for Fultz last year, and are starting DJ Augustin. Their PG problems are almost as bad as ours over the last few years. They even had Elfrid before sending him here and haven't replaced him since. Augustin is an ok backup but he should be used as a backup.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would totally take Westbrook on the Suns still.

Rubio, Johnson and a protected pick but Rubio cant be traded until december.

A sign and trade with Oubre and Johnson but we would have to get a quality small forward somehow.