The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue seems to be giving top players enough rest. Maybe if the NBA had a policy on resting players this would help so it would be uniform based on something like minutes played. However, it would probably have to be covered under the CBA.
This is a great idea. Expand the rosters. Allow 8 rest days per year per player. Gives more guys jobs, develops more players, gives stars more rest, makes depth important rather than just "big three" rosters.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is a great idea. Expand the rosters. Allow 8 rest days per year per player. Gives more guys jobs, develops more players, gives stars more rest, makes depth important rather than just "big three" rosters.
The issue has always been, San Antonio is coming to Phoenix for their only visit of the year. Poppovic decides the big three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobli are staying home to rest. Fans bought tickets when they went on sale at the beginning of the year so they could see these guys in person. Unless injured, if it's a teams only visit to that town that year, the stars MUST travel. Even injured, most times they can come sign autographs pregame, or something.

I have always been of the opinion, that back in the early days of the NBA, the stars traveled, and if they needed rest you play them five minutes and they sit the rest of the game. That way fans get to see them. Can you imagine when the NBA first started, if George Mikan didn't come play in your town? You wanted to go to the game just to see how big he was. That was the draw!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue has always been, San Antonio is coming to Phoenix for their only visit of the year. Poppovic decides the big three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobli are staying home to rest. Fans bought tickets when they went on sale at the beginning of the year so they could see these guys in person. Unless injured, if it's a teams only visit to that town that year, the stars MUST travel. Even injured, most times they can come sign autographs pregame, or something.

I have always been of the opinion, that back in the early days of the NBA, the stars traveled, and if they needed rest you play them five minutes and they sit the rest of the game. That way fans get to see them. Can you imagine when the NBA first started, if George Mikan didn't come play in your town? You wanted to go to the game just to see how big he was. That was the draw!

Sometimes players have incentives built into contracts based upon averages. Playing 5 minutes kills per game percentages, it is better for them to just sit.

This would be very easy to correct. You can only rest players for home games. Home town fans have plenty of opportunities to see star players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of only resting players for home games. That makes sense. I think there could be some other reasoning built in so fans and the league don't suffer from a lack of stars for certain games but I see implementing some sort of rest being accepted easier than reducing the regular season by a handful of games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a starting point that allows a continued 82 game schedule and rest for players that are overused.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't know about expanding the rosters. I think they should add the injured reserve back. I know teams can get disabled player exceptions that allow them to add another player for X amount of time but they have to apply for it and wait, which they could eliminate altogether by giving each team 1 IR roster slot. I think teams should also be able to get a third Two-Way contract. Perhaps they could do something with the Two-Way deals so if the player is up with their NBA team they could be active but don't count as one of the 13 active roster spots. It would allow a team an extra player but it's a Two-Way player and if every team were allowed it then there shouldn't be complaints.

It looked like Silver was serious about building on the G-League to make it a true minor league/farm system but reducing the age of draftees back down to 18 seems to be going against building up the G-League. They just enabled the G-League select deals too where they could sign players for 100k or something and compete with foreign clubs and get kids who bypasses college to stay in the states but I don't see that helping much once kids can be drafted out of high school again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a starting point that allows a continued 82 game schedule and rest for players that are overused.

I don't think players are as overused nowadays. I looked it up and only 21 players played in all 82 games. Only another 21 players played in 81 games. Across the league, only 55 players played in 80 or more games. There were 530 players that played in the NBA this year.

Here is a look at the history of players who played in 80 or more games in a season. They played a lot more previously, it seems. There was a big jump in players who played a game or more in the league over the last 2 years because of Two-Way contracts also, that's why it went from 486 to 540.

Year - Players that played in 80 or more games - total number of players in the league that year.

2017-18 - 58 of 540
2016-17 - 53 of 486
2015-16 - 62 of 476

2005-06 - 73 of 458
2004-05 - 72 of 464

1996-97 - 85 of 441
1995-96 - 84 of 429

1984-85 - 77 of 320
1983-84 - 93 of 310

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sometimes players have incentives built into contracts based upon averages. Playing 5 minutes kills per game percentages, it is better for them to just sit.

This would be very easy to correct. You can only rest players for home games. Home town fans have plenty of opportunities to see star players.
That will work! :thumbup:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't know about expanding the rosters. I think they should add the injured reserve back. I know teams can get disabled player exceptions that allow them to add another player for X amount of time but they have to apply for it and wait, which they could eliminate altogether by giving each team 1 IR roster slot. I think teams should also be able to get a third Two-Way contract. Perhaps they could do something with the Two-Way deals so if the player is up with their NBA team they could be active but don't count as one of the 13 active roster spots. It would allow a team an extra player but it's a Two-Way player and if every team were allowed it then there shouldn't be complaints.

It looked like Silver was serious about building on the G-League to make it a true minor league/farm system but reducing the age of draftees back down to 18 seems to be going against building up the G-League. They just enabled the G-League select deals too where they could sign players for 100k or something and compete with foreign clubs and get kids who bypasses college to stay in the states but I don't see that helping much once kids can be drafted out of high school again.

Have a rule where kids cant play in the NBA until 1 year post high school...that means year one will be G League.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You play everyone in your division four times. Everyone else in your conference 3 times and inter conference teams twice = 76 games

Probably eliminated a few more b2b’s that players would take off. I wish they’d make the first rd best of five again but we know that ain’t happening.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think players are as overused nowadays. I looked it up and only 21 players played in all 82 games. Only another 21 players played in 81 games. Across the league, only 55 players played in 80 or more games. There were 530 players that played in the NBA this year.

Here is a look at the history of players who played in 80 or more games in a season. They played a lot more previously, it seems. There was a big jump in players who played a game or more in the league over the last 2 years because of Two-Way contracts also, that's why it went from 486 to 540.

Year - Players that played in 80 or more games - total number of players in the league that year.

2017-18 - 58 of 540
2016-17 - 53 of 486
2015-16 - 62 of 476

2005-06 - 73 of 458
2004-05 - 72 of 464

1996-97 - 85 of 441
1995-96 - 84 of 429

1984-85 - 77 of 320
1983-84 - 93 of 310

I suspect that top players are overused relative to the rest of the roster especially as the season extends into the playoffs.

Players are not used uniformly, so top players get more minutes, and it compounds itself during the season and the playoffs.

I think it needs to be studied as a way of improving the NBA experience and a way to reduce injuries.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Lebron doesn’t win a title in the next few years it will significantly dent his legacy. Aside from his first stint in Cleveland the guy has had some incredible talent around him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

2017-18 - 58 of 540
2016-17 - 53 of 486
2015-16 - 62 of 476

2005-06 - 73 of 458
2004-05 - 72 of 464

1996-97 - 85 of 441
1995-96 - 84 of 429
I
1984-85 - 77 of 320
1983-84 - 93 of 310
Yup. As I suspected. The wuss-if-i-cation of the nba. Can’t win without building super teams. Can’t play a full season. Wussies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I suspect that top players are overused relative to the rest of the roster especially as the season extends into the playoffs.

Players are not used uniformly, so top players get more minutes, and it compounds itself during the season and the playoffs.

I think it needs to be studied as a way of improving the NBA experience and a way to reduce injuries.
You think top players log more minutes today than in prior years? That would be an interesting study.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You think top players log more minutes today than in prior years? That would be an interesting study.

It sort of looks that way, but I haven't examined it closely.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_top_10.html

These are the top 10 by minutes played in each season. Recently, we've had only one or two players over 3000. A generation ago, you had several players at 3000+, and leaders might be up at 3300. In 2002-03, Antawn Jamison was 10th in minutes played, at 3226! Not a single player has cracked 3200 in the last eight seasons.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think players play harder now than they did in the past. People think the game was tougher in the past because of increased contact in the lane, etc., but often it was more loafing plus some contact to make up for it. (I realize I’m totally generalizing here, and don’t mean to criticize former players. I’m sure most of the good players of the past would also be good adjusted for today.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if top players log more minutes today than in the past but that probably should not be the standard. It's the damage to players bodies that should be considered. Unless there is a study out there it's hard to know.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was out camping with no cell service and heard about the Lakers enough cap for another max contract and was unable to comment.

There is a lot of talk of the Lakers trying to land Kawhi. I can't imagine the NBA wanting 3 of their top 5 players in one market especially since it would be so inorganic even more so than Miami. It also appears to be highly orchestrated by the agency owned by LeBron. I wonder in the NBA could or would block the signing.

I'm not sure how I would feel about it. As a Suns fan, I would be even more discouraged. A lot of us were content for the Warriors dynasty to pass and now another superteam is possibly emerging.

I hope there would be some blowback from other players around the league as those 3 players are not sacrificing their max contracts, but expect their surrounding role players to play for the league minimum.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was out camping with no cell service and heard about the Lakers enough cap for another max contract and was unable to comment.

There is a lot of talk of the Lakers trying to land Kawhi. I can't imagine the NBA wanting 3 of their top 5 players in one market especially since it would be so inorganic even more so than Miami. It also appears to be highly orchestrated by the agency owned by LeBron. I wonder in the NBA could or would block the signing.

I'm not sure how I would feel about it. As a Suns fan, I would be even more discouraged. A lot of us were content for the Warriors dynasty to pass and now another superteam is possibly emerging.

I hope there would be some blowback from other players around the league as those 3 players are not sacrificing their max contracts, but expect their surrounding role players to play for the league minimum.

I don't know where this "Kawhi will sign with the Lakers" stuff came from, that is probably one of the least likely moves to happen. From all reports about Kawhi that have come out is that he doesn't want to be in Lebron's shadow and he is the better player now but he'd be viewed as his sidekick going to LA. That wouldn't be his team, which is reportedly what he was after. He can get that going to the Clippers but not the Lakers, especially after the Davis trade. If Kawhi leaves Toronto, which I don't think he will, he'll go to the Clippers. It's been said he has no interest in the New York teams and if he leaves Toronto it's to go home to California. Again, he doesn't need to ride Lebron's jock and he won't either.

I bet he'll sign a 2 year deal in Toronto, try to win again, and then leave when he has 10 years under his belt so he can get the 35% max. Right now, Toronto can offer more cash for 2 years than anyone else. It's not a lot more but he also has the best chance to win there and all of the freebies that Canadians are giving, he'll end up getting more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where this "Kawhi will sign with the Lakers" stuff came from, that is probably one of the least likely moves to happen. From all reports about Kawhi that have come out is that he doesn't want to be in Lebron's shadow and he is the better player now but he'd be viewed as his sidekick going to LA. That wouldn't be his team, which is reportedly what he was after. He can get that going to the Clippers but not the Lakers, especially after the Davis trade. If Kawhi leaves Toronto, which I don't think he will, he'll go to the Clippers. It's been said he has no interest in the New York teams and if he leaves Toronto it's to go home to California. Again, he doesn't need to ride Lebron's jock and he won't either.

I bet he'll sign a 2 year deal in Toronto, try to win again, and then leave when he has 10 years under his belt so he can get the 35% max. Right now, Toronto can offer more cash for 2 years than anyone else. It's not a lot more but he also has the best chance to win there and all of the freebies that Canadians are giving, he'll end up getting more.

I think this is where a lot of this comes from... Kawhi's willingness to meet with the Lakers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-kawhi-leonard-to-meet-with-lakers-clippers-184626379.html

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It sort of looks that way, but I haven't examined it closely.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_top_10.html

These are the top 10 by minutes played in each season. Recently, we've had only one or two players over 3000. A generation ago, you had several players at 3000+, and leaders might be up at 3300. In 2002-03, Antawn Jamison was 10th in minutes played, at 3226! Not a single player has cracked 3200 in the last eight seasons.
So it’s the opposite, top players logged more minutes in the past.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think players play harder now than they did in the past. People think the game was tougher in the past because of increased contact in the lane, etc., but often it was more loafing plus some contact to make up for it. (I realize I’m totally generalizing here, and don’t mean to criticize former players. I’m sure most of the good players of the past would also be good adjusted for today.)
Yeah, that’s a big no. Not for a second do I believe today’s prima donnas play harder than they did in the past.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a big no. Not for a second do I believe today’s prima donnas play harder than they did in the past.
Its a different type of play today. There is a lot of hustle and D today, but in big games especially in the past the physicality was just brutal. There are different eras in the past too. The 70's were an offensive decade. But with the Detroit teams of the 80's, the league got a lot more physical.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So it’s the opposite, top players logged more minutes in the past.

Ha! Yes, right, I misread the original question. Top players used to play more. Iverson was over 42 minutes per game in seven straight seasons, although he lost a good number of games to injury during that stretch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard