Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on Joseph - he sucks. I would not sign him for the minimum, because Tyler Johnson is superior, and with some luck Okobo and Melton could be too.

I don't think that is really the plan either - the Suns can't be that incompetent.

Joseph would be the backup point guard discussing the above. White would be the third point guard.

I'd rather have Elfrid Payton than Joseph. At least he is capable of starting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not as worried about point guard as much with the above as I am power forward. Maybe the Suns can add a player like Faried.

With four players at the position the quality of Okobo/Melton or worse, how can you not be worried about the point guard position?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with you on Joseph - he sucks. I would not sign him for the minimum, because Tyler Johnson is superior, and with some luck Okobo and Melton could be too.

I don't think that is really the plan either - the Suns can't be that incompetent.

I sure as heck hope you're right. It would take incompetence even worse than that of Ryan McDonough to sign Cory Joseph.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gambo is saying we probably won't take Garland mainly just because he is a Rich Paul client.

If that is true it is assinine. Paul is not going away - you have to learn to deal with him. For gods sake take the better player.

That's a good enough reason for me to not gamble on a prospect but with Garland there are plenty of reasons not to take him. Granted, I only saw him play once so most of my opinion is shaped by the work of others.

First off, he only played 5 games and Rich Paul kept him away from teams during the draft process.

Secondly, those 5 games were against weak opponents (a depleted USC squad was the only major team) and although he scored well with very good efficiency, Alcorn State held him to 3 points.

Thirdly, he totaled 15 turnovers against 13 assists continuing his high turnover rate from high school.

Fourthly, he's lightly built and undersized with a frame that suggests he won't get much stronger which coupled with his lack of explosion and limited athleticism indicates he will struggle scoring at the rim in the NBA.

And lastly, he's coming off of a torn meniscus. He shouldn't even be in the conversation for a high lottery pick AFAIC.

On the plus side he has some of the things that make Kyrie special and some of the attributes that have teams looking for the next Damian Lillard but he doesn't measure up to either player from what I've read. I'd put him in a fairly large group of players that have a shot to be the 2nd best player in this class. Unfortunately he's got superstar or bust written all over him, there doesn't appear to be much middle ground.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
if he's a FA, why are you sacrificing anything to get him? Those guys you just mentioned could be assets to trade for a PF. If Russel WANTS to sign with us, that's a miracle in of itself. expecting a PF wants to do so also doesn't seem realistic to me.

With Oubre and Bridges, JJ and Warren are redundant and unnecessary. Suns also get to keep Johnson and his expiring contract, and retain a backup guard. If they can't trade him, they can still stretch him if they need extra cap space for a PF. I guess it comes down to how much value you believe Warren and JJ have, and how good the Suns chances are of signing another free agent or two. In my opinion, they don't have much value, and neither does the pick. Free agents are not flocking to Phoenix, so they will have to overpay someone like Randle, Mirotic, Young, etc.

Note that I am not a fan of Russell, and am not advocating for this trade. I am just saying that it's a perfectly reasonable trade because of my perceived value of JJ, Warren, the pick, and my belief that they can get a real PF if they overpay.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joseph would be the backup point guard discussing the above. White would be the third point guard.

I'd rather have Elfrid Payton than Joseph. At least he is capable of starting.

Payton is not capable of starting.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of getting Tyus Jones or Russell, but those of you wanting to swing big trades to land them on an extension... I really don't get the logic.

You don't give up assets to sign free agents, I don't care if they're restricted. If Russell leaves Brooklyn it will be because they won't be able/willing to retain that level of salary, giving them assets for a player their going to lose makes no sense. When guys get shipped in a sign and trade free agent deal it is virtually always for pennies on the dollar, something like, at most, the Bucks pick for Russell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of getting Tyus Jones or Russell, but those of you wanting to swing big trades to land them on an extension... I really don't get the logic.

You don't give up assets to sign free agents, I don't care if they're restricted. If Russell leaves Brooklyn it will be because they won't be able/willing to retain that level of salary, giving them assets for a player their going to lose makes no sense. When guys get shipped in a sign and trade free agent deal it is virtually always for pennies on the dollar, something like, at most, the Bucks pick for Russell.

agreed. It literally makes ZERO sense.

Here's a FA... his team isn't going to re-sign him. Let's give them Warren, Jackson and a lottery pick for no reason whatsoever except to shed possible assets, even if they might not be great assets.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Correct. It’s just to recoup a little something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Oubre and Bridges, JJ and Warren are redundant and unnecessary. Suns also get to keep Johnson and his expiring contract, and retain a backup guard. If they can't trade him, they can still stretch him if they need extra cap space for a PF. I guess it comes down to how much value you believe Warren and JJ have, and how good the Suns chances are of signing another free agent or two. In my opinion, they don't have much value, and neither does the pick. Free agents are not flocking to Phoenix, so they will have to overpay someone like Randle, Mirotic, Young, etc.

Note that I am not a fan of Russell, and am not advocating for this trade. I am just saying that it's a perfectly reasonable trade because of my perceived value of JJ, Warren, the pick, and my belief that they can get a real PF if they overpay.

using that logic, should I assume you want Tyler Johnson stretched immediately since that's the only way we can actually have room at the beginning of free agency to get a real PF who they'd have to overpay?

I mean, you say they have Tyler Johnson and his expiring contract they can trade... for what? And when? If you don't have salary cap room on July 1st, they're screwed if they're actually looking for a real PF they'd have to overpay.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
using that logic, should I assume you want Tyler Johnson stretched immediately since that's the only way we can actually have room at the beginning of free agency to get a real PF who they'd have to overpay?

I mean, you say they have Tyler Johnson and his expiring contract they can trade... for what? And when? If you don't have salary cap room on July 1st, they're screwed if they're actually looking for a real PF they'd have to overpay.

I really haven't looked at the salary situation in this scenario since we don't know how much Russell would make. Warren, JJ, and the pick combine for about $23M. If they can sign Russell for $20M, I think that would give them $10-$14M, if I remember correctly. I would think Randle would cost a little more, but Mirotic or Young could probably be had for that much.

But yeah, I'd be OK with stretching Johnson if need be, but I think they could make it work without waiving him.

Note that I would definitely not give Russell $20M, but I am assuming that's what he would cost.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really haven't looked at the salary situation in this scenario since we don't know how much Russell would make. Warren, JJ, and the pick combine for about $23M. If they can sign Russell for $20M, I think that would give them $10-$14M, if I remember correctly. I would think Randle would cost a little more, but Mirotic or Young could probably be had for that much.

But yeah, I'd be OK with stretching Johnson if need be, but I think they could make it work without waiving him.

Note that I would definitely not give Russell $20M, but I am assuming that's what he would cost.

With all the money teams have this offseason, and coming off an all-star bid, I don't think there's any way Russell isnt getting the max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah... I think 20 million per will be his floor on his next contract. He led the previously moribund Nets to a big turnaround, especially in the second half, as the leader of that team. They've got stars in their eyes for some reason with Kyrie, and I think that grabbing him could be a matter of taking advantage of a yet another of historically inept's FO blunders.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow. Bickley is trying his best to push Sarver's buttons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the money teams have this offseason, and coming off an all-star bid, I don't think there's any way Russell isnt getting the max.

He's not worth the max but I agree, he likely will get it. I just hope it isn't the Suns that make that mistake.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As already mentioned Payton is more capable of starting than Joseph but there must be better options.

I agree that there are better options, but I'd take Joseph in an instant over Payton. Payton has throughout his career been a negative impact on the court, his teams consistently are better when he is on the bench. Joseph isn't a starting caliber player but at least he isn't a tank commander.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that there are better options, but I'd take Joseph in an instant over Payton. Payton has throughout his career been a negative impact on the court, his teams consistently are better when he is on the bench. Joseph isn't a starting caliber player but at least he isn't a tank commander.

I'd be fine with Joseph as a backup point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be fine with Joseph as a backup point guard.

Melton (slightly better defensively and same offensively, in my opinion) and Okobo (worse defensively, but tons better offensively, in my opinion) give you as much, if not more, and they actually have a chance of getting better, whereas Joseph does not.

I would hope that the Suns would not waste their money and a roster spot on someone the likes of which they already have tied up on rookie deals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't want either but if forced to choose, I'd take the one that isn't represented by Rich Paul.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose