2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Fans are idiots and selfish. Nothing that happened last night was surprising or story worthy. I’ve often said I wouldn’t bring a child to any pro sporting event because it’s scumbag central.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last game is starting to evolve from the KD injury game into The Time Out! Nick Nurse called a time out when Kawhi Leonard was killing Golden State and had them on the ropes. After the time out the Warriors hit two threes and figured out how to double Leonard. They squeek the game out. The thinking is from a couple ex-NBA players I saw on ESPN, is that Toronto was crushing Golden State, and they thought Toronto needed to make Golden State call the time out to stop the beating. Plus I think Golden State was down to their last time out. It would force a faster ending to the game. Nick Nurse supposedly said he saw he had three time outs left and thought he would use them.

that was the first thing I said to my buddy when he called the timeout. The Champs were completely on the ropes, all the momentum was with Toronto. They had the ball up 6 with 3 minutes left and the Warriors were reeling... and you call a timeout? That was bizarre.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that he did it while perfectly framing Warriors owner Joe Lacob in the shot.

I'd love to see the angle that the photographer in the bottom right got. I've looked but haven't found it yet. The Warriors fans in the background are great, a number of them have their mouths open just hoping.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
don't worry. i'm not back. just had to chime in on a coaching issue -- my self-proclaimed area of expertise (though, amazingly, i was wrong about Igor being interviewed by another team)

there was some shockingly bad coaching during Rockets v Warriors -- missed time-outs and 2 for 1 opportunities in crunch-time, and most dumbfounding, so many standing isolation plays for Harden that totally dudded out (i get why Paul was frustrated)

but i can't criticize the Raptor coach for "The Time Out"
after trailing all game, the Raptors were suddenly up 6, and 3 minutes from a championship. i was breathless and i could see by the look in Kawhi's eyes that his mind was racing too -- not sure what to do next.

in retrospect, time to collect themselves was more valuable to the Warriors than the Raptors. but in the moment, i needed that time out too, so i couldn't complain

i also believe Kawhi did prefer a teammate to take the last shot. he's certainly not afraid of clutch moments, but, as he said, he's not into "hero ball" and the championship shot may have been an extra light he didn't need or want in his eyes (to go with his MVP). he's Boo Radley with an amazing all-around set of basketball skills

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I fault vanvleet on the final play. He got Livingston to overplay him and had a wide open lane to drive the ball into open space...o believe Kivk Faron would’ve tried to recover and foul him or have a wide open seven footer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I fault vanvleet on the final play. He got Livingston to overplay him and had a wide open lane to drive the ball into open space...o believe Kivk Faron would’ve tried to recover and foul him or have a wide open seven footer.
I think with the clock winding down, players are trained to move the ball to the open man. VanFleet didn't have enough time to get to the hole so he had to take a shot on the run. Guys like Booker, or TJ Warren can hit those on the run with ease. I don't know VanFleets game that well in order to know if he can hit that on the run.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The National Media is downplaying and excusing Raptors fans (and it was HALF THE STADIUM) by saying "some fans" were cheering the KD injury. No, it was THOUSANDS of fans in the arena. To make it worse, they knew KD went down with not contact and their first reaction was to cheer and waive goodbye to him. He sat on the court a full minute before motioning to team he needed assistance. So did the crowd reflect on their supposed visceral reaction during that time? No, they ERUPTED when KD was helped up and his leg buckled. It was so bad their own team had to tell them WTF? Then watch the video of Your Classless Park and a local bar and you see the same reaction of elation and faux goodbye waives.

Screw America's Hat fans...
I remember 1 guy in particular waving him goodbye.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Why do so many call VanVleet "VanFleet"? That's what I thought his name was for the longest time because of that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fans are idiots and selfish. Nothing that happened last night was surprising or story worthy. I’ve often said I wouldn’t bring a child to any pro sporting event because it’s scumbag central.

I’ll take my daughter to Suns games but she’s never been to a Cardinal game I won’t take her to an NFL game

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The National Media is downplaying and excusing Raptors fans (and it was HALF THE STADIUM) by saying "some fans" were cheering the KD injury. No, it was THOUSANDS of fans in the arena. To make it worse, they knew KD went down with not contact and their first reaction was to cheer and waive goodbye to him. He sat on the court a full minute before motioning to team he needed assistance. So did the crowd reflect on their supposed visceral reaction during that time? No, they ERUPTED when KD was helped up and his leg buckled. It was so bad their own team had to tell them WTF? Then watch the video of Your Classless Park and a local bar and you see the same reaction of elation and faux goodbye waives.

Screw America's Hat fans...

You would get pretty much the same results from every fan base. That’s the truth

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last game is starting to evolve from the KD injury game into The Time Out! Nick Nurse called a time out when Kawhi Leonard was killing Golden State and had them on the ropes. After the time out the Warriors hit two threes and figured out how to double Leonard. They squeek the game out. The thinking is from a couple ex-NBA players I saw on ESPN, is that Toronto was crushing Golden State, and they thought Toronto needed to make Golden State call the time out to stop the beating. Plus I think Golden State was down to their last time out. It would force a faster ending to the game. Nick Nurse supposedly said he saw he had three time outs left and thought he would use them.

I think that's another reason he's getting ripped, he didn't say it was strategy like Ben Howland I want to set my defense, he said we would lose the timeouts so I took them.

But mainly he's getting ripped because they lost momentum and Draymond said after the game it helped The Warriors regroup

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
You would get pretty much the same results from every fan base. That’s the truth
I’m not so sure about that. I am pretty much an extremely passionate fan with high emotions, but I never ever celebrate injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do so many call VanVleet "VanFleet"? That's what I thought his name was for the longest time because of that.

Yeah, I did the same thing for awhile until I finally googled it to find out what it really is. But so many have typed it incorrectly for so long, I hold out little hope that we'll see much improvement. Fortunately, it's not my name so other than being a bit anal on the subject, I suspect I'll recover nicely. And you have to admit, VanVleet takes some getting used to.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, he also had Draymond already overplaying to Lowry and had a makeable bounce pass to Gasol if he was quick about it. But it's easy to play armchair PG in this situation with the benefit of replay.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about that. I am pretty much an extremely passionate fan with high emotions, but I never ever celebrate injury.

He said "every fan base," not "every fan."

I wouldn't cheer an injury either, but that said, a lot depends on the opposing player. Durant is a ring-chasing punk who hilariously tries to act gangsta in order to disguise how uncool he is. (Seriously, what's with the constant hoodie?) I'm not happy to see him injured, but I am happy to see him fail.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He said "every fan base," not "every fan."

I wouldn't cheer an injury either, but that said, a lot depends on the opposing player. Durant is a ring-chasing punk who hilariously tries to act gangsta in order to disguise how uncool he is. (Seriously, what's with the constant hoodie?) I'm not happy to see him injured, but I am happy to see him fail.
He likes hoodies? I do too... it’s funny, in this hyper critical world I guess the Lakers should’ve been excoriated for being unfair for bringing Kareem, when they already had 4 HOF players on thee team!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He likes hoodies? I do too... it’s funny, in this hyper critical world I guess the Lakers should’ve been excoriated for being unfair for bringing Kareem, when they already had 4 HOF players on thee team!

Durant joined what was already considered one of the best teams ever, who had just beaten his team in the playoffs and he defended his decision by making dummy social media accounts to agree with himself.

He's a gutless turd. I don't like seeing him get hurt but, like elindolm, i enjoy seeing him fail.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good gravy... you just made yourself look like a slinsin-level moron with the post above.

who were the 4 HOF on the Lakers when they brought in Kareem?

Here's the roster for the team the first year he played on it:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1976.html

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also think that in a massive arena there are going to be classes people in any city. And you're obviously going to hear the jerks cheering and booing much better than the people looking on in silence.

Here are Warrior fans booing the refs for calling Zaza for a foul when he went at Leonard's ankles, even as Leonard lay on the court clearly injured.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good gravy... you just made yourself look like a slinsin-level moron with the post above.

who were the 4 HOF on the Lakers when they brought in Kareem?

Here's the roster for the team the first year he played on it:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1976.html

The Lakers won 30 games the previous year and they had to trade for Kareem. Not at all a comparison for Durant's gutless coat tail journey.